Molly, Little bit.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for letting us know, at least now you can get on and enjoy working together. Try not to be too upset as sometimes destiny just has different plans for us. Most of us oldies have been fooled a time or 2 and have waited for months only to find out that the madam is fat
default_yes.gif
so we know how you feel. Sending hugs and don't you dare lurk as we are a family here in the good and the bad so we expect to to stick around and join in the fun.
default_xkngt.gif
o.k?

Sorry it has turned out this way for you - or rather for Molly! Please do more than lurk - make sure you join in whenever you are here, we do like to keep in contact with everyone. Plus you never know, one day you might consider letting Molly have a foal?

Hugs for you and Molly and good luck with your future plans - we shall expect pictures! LOL!!

Well said, and very truthful!!! You better stay with us and share more pictures as you go -- we love that little lady -- and hope you will let us continue to follow her!!!

Ok I have a question.

I know some of you have had phantoms happen with your mares so was looking for advice. How long before they stop showing the signs? she has a pretty big edema and I think it is uncomfortable for her. (she doesn't like me to touch it) Is there anything that I can do to help her get over the hormones that are making her body think it is pregnant?

I just don't want her to be uncomfortable.

She is pretty mad that her grain has been cut back to just a handful once a day. She still has unlimited access to the pasture so I keep telling her she isn't gonna starve.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine just stopped on her own but I had my stallion near her so that might have helped. A vet could give her an injection to bring her into heat but you would probably have to have an US first.

Hi i have a mare with a phantom pregancey at the moment.. Realy thought she was ready to drop a foal. She was baged up and dropping milk. After a lot of wondering and watching i got her scaned.she is not in foal. Like your mare i am cutting back her food. She still has a bag. I was told by my vet to but her beside the stallion to see if she will come in to season. So i am trying that at the moment.

I am sorry that you didnt get your baby.

The same thing happened to me with my first mini. I never would have bought her but she was "ready to drop any day" To me she just looked like a big shaggy beast..but I wanted a baby so..

turned out she wasn't even bred and I too was feeding her like a bred gir/ But she is my favorite girl- bred or not and I hope to be driving her soon

so now maybe you could just go and do what i did..go pick up 2 more really bred girls. I was so dissapointed in no baby i stopped coming to the forum til i coulde get a baby!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldjust cut back on her grain and gently start exercising her (unless you have a stallion close by to try that method) and let nature take care of the phantom, she will eventually sort herself out.
default_yes.gif

Nope sold the stallion so he could go be a stallion.

I have cut back her grain and am gonna start to exercise her slowly. She has been a pasture potato for the past year.
default_deadhorse2.gif

I am disappointed that there wont be a little one but I can watch all of your little ones so that is ok.
default_yes.gif

I sure hope she can figure it out soon. Maybe the warmer weather will help .
default_thumbup.gif

Ok I made an appointment with the vet to get US just to make sure, but the first available appointment is two and a half weeks away.
default_frusty.gif

So I have been keeping a close eye on her still just in case. I don't want something to happen to my miss molly so I am still hovering.

So I have a question can horses get mastitis? She has that horrible edema and her nipple is so big on the one side of her bag that I was just wondering if that is normal? She doesn't have a fever and is acting normal I think I am just a worry wart.

I will attach some pics of her edema and nipple so you can see what I am talking about. Any advice on it would be great.

Thanks

0506132003c.jpg
0506132004.jpg
0506132005.jpg

Yes, they can get it and if I was you I would try and get the vet out sooner to check on her. It is very painful so best to treat asap if that is what she has.

Wow, this is so interesting. We had this happen last year with our mare Trixie. When she came to us we were told that she was due any day. She even had milk! She then dried up and has since begun showing signs of pregnancy again and is now bagging up. She is huge! But this time she was palpated in February and found to actually be in foal. So confusing. I feel for you so much, and don't worry, it will happen for you! (((HUGS)))

Called the vet and he said as long as she wasn't running a fever it was not an emergency and that he would look at it at our appointment. *sigh*

I will try the warm washcloth and just keep a close watch for any change.

Aww, bless her. Yes warm cloths may well help, hopefull it will sort itself out soon.

I'd send him a picture to his phone (if he has one) and ask him WHY should you have to wait until she gets a fever? Or send a picture email to his office and see if he will prescribe an antibiotic for her that you could start giving her -- if he agrees it's mastitis.

But the warm washcloth should help, and just take her temperature each day to make sure she doesn't get an infection. Feel the udder for lumps or heat -- as these can be sure signs of mastitis.

I have seen what I would call a "blown nipple" on a mare once. There was nothing really wrong, except the nipple had no shape, but baby still nursed just fine.

So, keep us posted on her!

I felt her udder really good and there are no lumps and not hot. She doesn't have a temp either. I expressed some milk from it and it went down a bit.

I think she is just bigger on the one side. Do some mares fill up on one side more than the other?

Other than that she is herself. Her vulva seems to be getting more loose and still a little red inside. I can't wait until the vet can get out here and tell me for sure if there is or isn't a baby in there. I just can't imagine that there would be as it has been soooo long since she would have had contact with a stallion. Well until then I am still hovering and watching.
default_biggrin.png

by chance did you test the milk for ph level? Might be an idea. I haven't read the whole thread so If you have sorry about that!
default_smile.png

I do test her milk and it is always high. The strips I have go up to 8.4 i think and it is always that high.

I still am testing once a day until The vet confirms no baby. I would be devastated if something happened to her.

She sure looks like she is and still showing all the signs that a baby is coming. But she was separated from the stallion on April 6th of 2012 and he was moved to a back pasture where there couldn't be a whoops over the fence about a week and a half later. so by that math if she took threw the fence she would be 387 days along...that is way to long for a little one to be in there. That is why I believe it is a phantom.

Latest posts

Back