model stallion class

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twilightranch

Reaction score
Can anyone explain what this class is. Also what is the amature class I know you can only train your horses but what is the point of this class? What do you have to do with your horse in the age class. sorry for all the ??. Thank you Brittney
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Model classes are based on conformation only, you do not have to walk or trot your horse to present it to the judges, you just walk and set up your horse, basically a halter class without the "L"
default_smile.png

Hi. This class judges the horses conformation only not on how it moves. You walk into the class and set your horse up. Then the judge starts judging. The judge does not score your horse on how it moves only how it looks.

Alisha

ok thank you. So if say I went into the 2yr stallion class what would you do in this class? Thanks

Correct the horse has to be atleast two years old to enter the model class, which you groom and present the horse in line up just like a halter class, of course except the walking and trotting in an "L".

If you were to go into the regular open two year old class then that would be just like a halter class
default_smile.png

Correct the horse has to be atleast two years old to enter the model class, which you groom and present the horse in line up just like a halter class, of course except the walking and trotting in an "L".
If you were to go into the regular open two year old class then that would be just like a halter class
default_smile.png
Ok thank you I have never shown a mini before so I have no clue about anything
default_wacko.png
I didn't know you have to walk in an L. What is the point of the amature class??

The amateur class is based on the same criteria as the open class, the difference is the handler. This gives average folks an opportunity to win with their horse without having to compete with professional trainers
default_wink.png

Example of model class:

I have a 3yo mare that has a VERY slight twist when she walks. She has excellent conformation otherwise. I could show her in a model class, but would not consider putting her in a regular halter class. So with all that, I just show her in liberty, and she kicks butt!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only been showing minis a couple of years so I'll see if I can break it down for you.

The Model class they just judge conformation so they never watch how your horse moves like the would in a normal halter class. You go in and set up and the judge picks his winners based on how the horses look set up.

In Halter you will start by walking your horse towards your judge and then they will normally tell you when to trot. You then trot your horse past the judge and turn to go to where the ring steward is waiting for you to tell you where to line up. Then you set your horse up for judging. This class they judge your horses conformation both while standing still and moving.

Amatur is just a way to keep the newer or non-professional handlers in a class of their own so they don't have to compete with the big boys.

Latest posts

Back