Missy **COLT** 5/5 , Joint ill - Keep him in your prayers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And not forgetting about Missy, here is a picture of her udder this morning. She is coming along. 329 days today.

Missy udder.jpg

default_risa8.gif
Just Adorable!
default_risa8.gif

Good girl Missy I hope you are planning on having a baby too soon
default_yes.gif

Missy made some big udder changes last night. Looks like it won't be too many more days before her little one arrives. She's 330 days today.

I believe Missy will be foaling tonight. Her udder has gotten very firm today. Her milk has been super thick, clear and very sticky. Earlier this afternoon. At 5 pm, she has white milk and very sticky. 6:30 now and I'm going to go feed and put her in the barn. She's getting pretty agitated outside.

I'm attaching an udder pic from just a little while ago. Note that it still is 2 halves, but each half is quite firm.

Missy.jpg

Woo Hoo! Another Kentucky Derby / Super Moon baby!! I just witnessed the birth of one of Maple Hollow's mares. Prayers for safe foaling headed your way!
default_pray.gif
:pray

It's a colt! Chestnut homozygous tobiano + splash. Two blue eyes. Born while I was still feeding horses. LOL I thought she was ready. She wanted in the barn and had been doing cow patties outside. She ate about half her dinner, layed down and started pushing. Foaled about 7:40 this evening. Pics in a little while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats!!! Can't wait for pictures!

So tonight you get to SLEEP!

Boy, I hope the little guy doesn't cook. So warm and humid out there.

Looking forward to pix!

Wow, busy day for LB mare owners - congrats!!! Sounds like a good way and time to foal. Can't wait to see pics.

What is it with colts? Seems that if there are any problems after delivery, it's always colts.

This delivery was normal and quick. Colt appeared fine. A little slow to get up on his sternum, but did. I dried him for awhile, then went to get Missy some banamine. When Missy stood up after foaling, instead of breaking the cord, it pulled out the placenta. Same thing happened when Love Chant foaled a few days ago. After a few minutes and blood had finished transferring, I got my foaling scissors and cut the cord. Dipped the stump and continued to dry the colt.

I moved the colt to the other side of the stall, so I could clean up the placenta and clean the wet bedding. Finished that and went back to drying the colt. After a minute, he went flat and was as limp as a noodle. I continued to rub him briskly and tried to get him back up on his sternum. A new foal can expand their ribcage for breathing better if they are sternal. But, no, he wouldn't. I kept checking respiration and he was breathing and it was at a normal rate. No matter what I did, he wouldn't raise up. I stuck a piece of hay in his ear and up his nose. He'd move his head, but no attempt to raise himself. Missy was helping by licking and nipping at him. Finally, he stretched like he had been sleeping!! Good grief. I propped him up again and he finally stayed sternal. I went to the house and got some karo syrup and gave him some of that. It's thicker than colostrum, so I figured it would be less likely to just run out of his mouth. That seem to work and he finally started doing what newborns should do in the right timeline.

After another minute, he finally decided to try to get up. From that point on, he started acting and doing everything he should. Once he was up, his suck reflex got stronger and I milked Missy and fed him some colostrum. I did that several times and he was moving around well and was looking for the milk bar on his own. I came in the house and by the time I did a final check around 10:30 and he was nursing well and acting normal. I woke up a couple of times during the night to see him galloping around the stall. So, I knew he was nursing and all was well.

I have had what I call 'fading foals' in the past, where they go limp after birth and are not breathing. This colt was breathing, but limp. Too strange. And it always seems to be colts to give you heart failure!

WOW Becky! I went to bed and didn't read about the colt's problems until this morning. So happy it all turned out fine! Good to know about the Karo Syrup. I've heard of that before. Good reminder!

And he's very colorful! I'll be looking forward to seeing more pictures of him!

Latest posts

Back