Minis trimming(what does your farrier charge?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20-25 for mine, so about the average, I just wish gas would go down for her sake, she does such a great job!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

I kept my first farrier for a couple years. I started out owning strictly big horses and his charge was $50.00 per trim.. I added a Miniature Horse or two to the herd and he charged the same, no matter the size or age of the horse. He would always return his phone calls and would always arrive on time. I loved this about him. I also loved his personality, the way he was with the horses and his work was excellent.

However, add several more Miniature Horses to the mix and another big horse or two and it was getting very pricey and he was unwilling to 'work me a deal'.. so I moved on.

I hired another farrier. $20.00 per horse no matter what size or age. He did very good work too. However, even though he was excellent with the horses, he was rather strange and I didn't feel comfortable around him. He also did a poor job returning phone calls and showing up for his appointments.

So.. farrier #1 actually took me under his wing for a while and understood that I was a young woman, trying to save money and that I dearly loved my horses. He showed me how to trim them myself and was always there if I had a question..

For years I have trimmed my own hooves.. until..

I boarded ones of my big geldings at a stable to be leased as a lesson's horse (he needed a job) and the owner there, whom I became great friends with was an apprentice with a world-known farrier.. He did my trimmings for 'free', however though he didn't expect anything I was always sure to 'tip' him well..

So.. now if I feel like it I trim or I have my friend over who is looking for the experience.

Right now he is charging $20 for a miniature and $10 for foals up to being a yearling, but I think he will charging more starting next month. He is on a regular monthly schedule with doing 5 to 6 miniatures and shetlands each visit. We have 19 equine at our barn at the moment. He is very good and actually does alot of polo team horses for Ligonier area and the "Rolling Rock" stables as well. There is not too many reliable farriers in our area either so we make sure to tip him well and at Christmas he gets a bonus.

Price of diesel is $4.55 a gallon. A trim is a trim be it full size horse or mini, its the same amount of work. I charge the same for a mini as I do a warmblood but I do charge more for a draft. Understand though what you may be charged is pretty darn cheap when you consider what the farrier does. A good farrier keeps the horse sound and balanced and has a LOT of education and years behind them. Right now I am out of commission due to a stupid quarterhorse that I thought wrenched my back but it turns out I have pancreaititis [i think thats how you spell it] from which I spent all moonday in the ER. Evidently the dimwit smacked me hard enough in the chest when I was working on a hind leg. I can't work right now but I am fortunate my husband can do most of the critical horses that need to be done right now. This is my busy season and this really sucks to be sidelined like this and guess who pays the doctor bills when you get hurt and are selfemployed? Its not the client whose horse did it to you. I am really fortunate that I DO have some truly awesome clients out there though that are understanding enough when something like this happens.

Linda, I'm sorry to hear that you're out of commission, and I hope you have a swift recovery!

We have a wonderful farrier who currently charges $20 per mini, although he keeps saying that he's going to have to raise his rate to $25 per due to gas prices. He's well worth it. He is very good with my horses, oohs and ahhs appropriately at our accomplishments, and is a real charmer.

I really don't understand charging LESS for a foal...to me, that is the most critical work, as it can affect the horse's lifelong soundness, as well as its attitude toward future farrier work.

We're expecting our farrier tomorrow....we've only used him once before. I'll hold out opinions on him until I know him better. He charges $35 per horse, regardless of the size.

We pay $45 a horse..less if its three or more i think but you know what I wouldnt trust my horses to anyone else anymore. I graduate high school next year and then i'm going to farrier school...Ican't wait.

We pay $45 a horse..less if its three or more i think but you know what I wouldnt trust my horses to anyone else anymore. I graduate high school next year and then i'm going to farrier school...Ican't wait.
GO TO COLLEGE !
default_wink.png

Do a farrier's school in the summer.

Trim part time while you're getting that degree.

Then if you still want to be a farrier, do it ! After the horses wear you down and take your back and knees

out you'll have a fall back career that you can make a living doing.

Trust me
default_yes.gif

Back