Minis trimming(what does your farrier charge?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hello,

our farrier is coming out sat. Our farrier used to charge $20 now he is charing $25 per mini including young foals. When he finishing trimming we have a hugh bill with all of our minis we have.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a guy here that I LOVE his work and he charges 20.00 per mini and usually about 10.00 for a foal-BUT he is VERY flaky. I had to go to another guy who charges 30.00 per ANY size or age horse but is always prompt. That extra 10.00 per horse really adds up so I feel for you!

Current farrier charges us $25 per trim, regardless of the size of horse (we only have Minis). Farrier before him was somewhere around $40 a trim, though. We're limited in what we can get out here.

Our farrier does a great job!! And the better part is that he only charges 15.00 bucks!

[SIZE=12pt]I am very lucky to have a farrier that lives a mile or so from us, he charges $10.00 a horse no matter the size, the last time he did 2 large horses, 3 mini horses and a mini donkey and charged me $50.00
default_new_shocked.gif
I feel silly sometimes because he is so cheap and does a great job, I always tip him well. he is getting older and I hate to think about what I will have to pay when he retires
default_sad.png
. Nikki
[/SIZE]

We do our own now but back a few years ago, they were charging $25.00 a piece.

I've always paid $35 per horse, regardless of size or age, or even state. A horse is a horse, and has four feet all of which require the same amount of time and skill.

My farrier charges me $ 30.00 a horse so my total bill now is 210.00 plus I leave him a 3 to 5 dollar tip per horse depending on what my paycheck was for that week. How many of you tip your farriers ? I never know if I should or not but feel that it is showing my appreciation for the good work that he does . BTW my horses are very well behaved for him and never try to kick , jump on him or "sit" on him.

This is a timely thread. My farrier just left. He charges $25 farm call and $25 per horse. We did all 25 horses today and he left with $650.
default_wacko.png
But he is a great farrier and has been doing my horses for 10 years. He comes every 6 weeks April-September and every 8 weeks the other months. He always has something to teach me each time he visits. We studied x-rays and talked about laminitis and rotation today. I feel from what I have read and researched that your farrier is your most important support in your horses care as well as your veterinarian. I'm totally worn out when he leaves and I know he must be. I think if I were a young person I might like to be a farrier but a barefoot one..Although I am very strong for a female I don't think I could do the shoeing part on a day to day basis.

I am a farrier and a horse owner. My husband is also a farrier and has been shoeing for 25 years. I have been shoeing horses professionally but have been trimming my own for 40 years. You get what you pay for and I find an educated client {note I said one who is educated not one who knows it all} is your best client. I charge $25 to $30 a head and believe me I work hard every day and I am not rich. I also teach any client that expresses an interest in trimming their own. $25 to $30 is the norm all over the country. If you really want some entertainment you should follow me for a day and see what some of my clients put me through.

Last edited by a moderator:
My farrier charges me a kiss and maybe some Oatmeal Craisin cookies
default_blush.png
He's also my hubby
default_rolleyes.gif
default_biggrin.png
and a trained farrier. We are quite excited about picking up our the new Barracuda nippers in Rapid City, SD next week where they are made.

Our Farrier is only $7.00 a mini horse, nothing for my foals under 6 months,

and full size horses $15.00.
default_aktion033.gif

Yes like may our farrier charges $25 per horse..in the past he asked and extra $5 for gas but not lately.

We usual just slip him a little extra for gas anyway..he lives 40minutes away. Depends if he's doing any others in the area as well..he does big horses too, from dressage to barrels..but he's 71 now so we may be up a tree soon eh? Maxine

"You get what you pay for and I find an educated client {note I said one who is educated not one who knows it all} is your best client"

My farrier has been to school and has been shoeing and trimming for over 30 years. I have had several other so called farriers here over the years and paid anywhere from $25.00 to $45.00 per horse and not one would I ever allow back in my barn. I do think the norm is $20.00 to $30.00 but there are exceptions and my farrier is GREAT and I am educated client
default_sad.png
, Nikki

Well that depends on which farrier i want to use
default_smile.png

One farrier charges $20, the other $25 and the other $35 and i must say, you DO get what you pay for. I personally like how the $25 guy trims, i've found everyone does hooves differently and they always come out looking different. I've found the $35 guy tends to trim them all like QH's and doesnt take anything i ask of him into account.

I normally do most of the horses but the farrier does the show horses
default_smile.png

Our farrier has been our farrier ever since we have own our horses. He is very good and very friendly. He also does all the minis in one day. He has been to farrier school as well. He use to do the foals free, but now he charges for them. I know that the farrier have a HARD job. Alot of horses are good, but others are not so good. The only thing our farrer says about the minis is they are harder to do, because they are so low to the ground(bad on the BACK)We get all of our horses really for our farrier, so he don't have to chase them. Our farrier say he likes when we have the horses really for him.

Thank God for our farriers(they are great).I would love to learn to trim our minis, but I think $20-$25 is not alot for all the time they spend with each horse.

thanks everyone,

My farrier has been doing my kids since 1990....

He charges $25 a horse. He comes every 6 weeks during the

spring and summer and every 8 weeks in the late fall and winter.

He trims the foals every 30 days for the first year so is here

quite a bit. Now that we've moved way to heck and gone

he's traveling about a 100 miles, one way, to come do my kids.

We treat im like the prince he is and am very glad to have him

for a friend.......

Latest posts

Back