Minis rescued

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aktion033.gif
I live about 4 miles from Lamar Dixon. We can't get east of New Orleans. I am going to try to rescue them them again and board them here. I have a pretty good idea who they might belong to. if any miniatures are brought this way, we have numerous miniature horse breeders that have open they barn to them. BRING THEM ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes.gif
[email protected] is my email address

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Sue, did you get the e-mail I just sent you, with Elizabeth's address? She'll be able to help you out with the Minis they rescued. Good stuff.

Have you been in touch with Norma? Is she okay??

biggrin.gif
Cajun Country Miniature Horse Club in Southern Louisiana has joined a task forse for resued miniature horses. we can't get there, but if you bring them here we have foster homes. I can even meet the resuers somewhere and pick up. We cannot past Hammond, Louisiana , you must have clearance. I don't know how far north we can even go. [email protected]

What really hurts, We live so close and can do so little.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I'd pass on the news of more horse rescues from New Orleans, even if they aren't Minis:

Today we had a team of people go into what's left of the French Quater and rescue some of the carriage horses. They all came from one barn. We hope to go to a few other of the carriage horse barns tomorrow.

This is a great story...the storm was over and the water was rising. The family needed to evacuate, but these horses were not only their pets, but their partners. The old man and the rest of the family were rescued....the middle aged son stayed behing to care for the family's horses. For 6 days the man did all he could to save the horses. The jenny mule freaked out one day and drug him about 4 blocks through waist high water. He held on to her and got her back home.

One of the horses got caught on something and paniced. As he was trying to free the large draft horse, he heard her a pop and she fell to the ground. Her neck was broken and she died.

When we heard news at the barn that the got the horses, they told us that one was down in the trailer. When they got back, she was barely alive. The LSU Vet Team did everything they could to help her....finally the decision was made to help her over the Bridge. When we opened the back of the fourth trailer to unload there was another horse down. This one did not make it either.

All in all, we have 19 very dehydrated, but happy carriage horses. Most are drafts and draft crosses. There are 2 mules and some beautiful Arabs. Hopefully they will continue to recover. The saddest part was knowing the son had to see two more of his beloved horses pass over. He kept saying that he had tried so hard to save them. He went for six days with very little food or water just to save his friends. He was in waist deep water for that long.

After we got all the horses settled in, I took him to the shelter at Lamar Dixon and got him a change of clothes, a shower, a hot meal and some medical treatment. When he left for the night, he hugged me and kissed my cheek. It made me cry...what a hero.

Tomorrow we are going to try to go back and get some more of these carriage horses. To me, they encompass so much of the character that was New Orleans. They are giant, beautiful and kind creatures. I got quite a few nuzzles and kisses from them before I left tonight.

Although I am so sad for the ones we lost, am so pleased we got the 19 we did. It was mass chaos trying to get these beasts out of the trailer at night in a strange place after all they have been through. To make matters worse, they nearly had to jump over their fallen comrads to get out.

Tomorrow will bea nother long day.

Elizabeth

no.gif
The only people we have heard from east is Brenda Hebert, Golden Meadow Miniatures. Brenda lost her barn, all hay, and one mini with a broken neck that was in the barn. They have no power or phone lines yet. Still waiting to hear from the mini friends from north and East of New Orleans. Still no power or telephone lines. lost all towers in these areas. i can not remember all breeders names, but Brenda Hebert is the only one that had called in. Breeders in Houma, Gramcy, and Paullina are safe and waiting electrity.

i'm at [email protected] email me about personal friends and i will keep you posted as i get the news.

Latest posts

Back