Minis & Dressage...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 1981 there was a fabulous exhibition of a mini and a big horse doing dressage at the World Show in Katy, TX. I can't remember the man's name, but believe that he came from CA and performed another year, but I don't remember which show that one was. It was one of the most impressive exibitions that I ever saw. He rode the big horse and drove the mini.

In 1981 there was a fabulous exhibition of a mini and a big horse doing dressage at the World Show in Katy, TX. I can't remember the man's name, but believe that he came from CA and performed another year, but I don't remember which show that one was. It was one of the most impressive exibitions that I ever saw. He rode the big horse and drove the mini.
Ramon Bacerra - he was also there in 96, because that was the year Grandad had his hitch on display as well!

I found a brief youtube -- I remember him doing lots more than this though!

Yes, thanks Kendra. His performance was much, much more than the video shows, but it gives an idea for everyone.

targetsmom said:
Actually, Leia, I think the YouTube link that GyspyMoonMinis posted earlier on this thread is you and Kody!!!
Really? The danger of posting here at work- I can't view YouTube videos so have no idea what's been posted!
default_laugh.png
Ha! What a small world! Im guessing its also you, if you post on YouTube as Spyderwind? too funny. ANd I for one thought it was a great test.
Posting from home now and yep, that's us! I read this part of your description of the link:

Going back to dressage. I did find some really neat videos with some driving dressage. This lady is doing intro test b. Its the same USEF test in what looks to be a standard size dressage ring.
...and assumed it couldn't be me as I was in a 20x40 VSE ring and clearly labeled as doing Preliminary Test #2.
default_biggrin.png
If you know Kody and how he moves when he's not pretending he's run out of gas you'd understand why I thought that was a bad test.
default_rolleyes.gif
The good news is we all have to start somewhere and I'd like to think we've both improved tremendously since then. He also does not usually bob his head like that but his neck was out and he kept trying to self-adjust. The chiropractor put him right after the event.

I do love that Lance, he's awesome!! One of the few minis I've seen truly doing upper level dressage on long-lines. Ramon Baccera is awesome too although his mini doesn't do much dressage work that I recall; I was there at Equitana USA in 1996 and saw him perform in the Mane Event. I've always wanted to try tandem riding like he and Clay Maier do but unfortunately my old riding horse is too lame at 32 to try it with Kody. Maybe someday!

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
What does VSE stand for? I had recognized the test immediately, as the only deviation from the USEF version was at the 20 m and the end, we end at A and no backing. I ride my intro tests in a 20x40 ring also, the higher levels are in 20x60. Now that my arab is healthy again, im hoping to hit the last schooling show of the season in Oct, but we will see. Dont have as much time to ride now that I work full time. You may have said this already, but do you still compete? Does Kody still have issues?

VSE stands for Very Small Equine.. or mini. I am not positive what the maximum height is for VSE or how it is measured, because all ours are A size so I know they qualify. I think it is either 38 or 39 inches???

GypsyMoonMinis said:
What does VSE stand for? I had recognized the test immediately, as the only deviation from the USEF version was at the 20 m and the end, we end at A and no backing. I ride my intro tests in a 20x40 ring also, the higher levels are in 20x60.
Ah, I didn't know that! A standard driven dressage arena is much, much larger to accomodate the turn radius of a full-sized horse and vehicle so I didn't understand what you meant as I've never done ridden dressage competition.
default_smile.png
Very Small Equines (the American Driving Society's term for any equine under 99cm at the withers) now compete in either a 20x40 or 30x60 arena depending on the organizer's preference and in one of three levels: Training, Preliminary or Intermediate. Larger horses also have a FEI level called "Advanced" but minis are not yet allowed to try that. We do not have an Intro level (that's Training Level's purpose, really) and Prelim is considered pretty advanced for a mini. That is not a simple test when driven! It's very difficult for a horse to maintain proper bend on a small circle when constricted by shafts and without a rider's legs to support them; you also have to get your wheel exactly on the centerline and quarterline and figure your serpentine evenly given the additional complication of the cart.
default_wink.png
On our tests we are also given marks for Presentation (how the horse and driver are turned out) and of course overall marks for Gaits, Submission, Impulsion, etc. All these are combined then run through an equation to determine the penalty points which are your score. In driven dressage the lower the score, the better!

GypsyMoonMinis said:
You may have said this already, but do you still compete? Does Kody still have issues?
Kody's stifle issues were finally resolved surgically in March of 2008 and he went on to win all three major CDE's we entered that year as well as a driving trial, several overall and dressage awards, a Stakes Championship in AMHR and two year-end highpoints.
default_wub.png
A lot of his chiropractic issues cleared up with the improvement in his stifles but unfortunately he either injured himself or the cumulative strain of all those years of physical problems caught up with him because this spring it became apparent he had some sort of muscular problem in his back which hurt him when he tried to turn to the right in the cart. He eventually went dramatically lame through the back and has been on complete paddock rest for the last six months.
default_no.gif
No shows for us in '09!
default_bye-sad.gif

He's finally showing improvement thanks in part to regular massage, accupressure, and Reiki treatments so I have some hope we'll be back in the ring next year. I honestly don't know if he'll ever be up to the demands of upper level CDE hazard/obstacle work again but he should be able to handle the breed ring and I hope to make him part of a CDE pair with my yearling when the youngster's old enough. That's the only way Kody could legally step back down to Training Level but I'm fairly sure he'd be able to handle at least that much in a couple of years even if he could never go back to Preliminary. There's really no way to tell at this point, to be honest. Thank you for asking!
default_saludando.gif

I have to sit out next year's combined driving events unless I can borrow a horse but the baby will be driving in 2011 and can then do all the unsanctioned events where three year olds are allowed. That and the breed ring should keep me busy until both horses are CDE-worthy! You should hitch a ride with the other Montana entries that come to Happ's each June for the huge CDE there. You could see the biggest crowd of mini entrants in the entire country compete over three days. So fun!

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back