Minis and goats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmoran98

Reaction score
I'm new to the miniature world. I have two mini pygmy's in a very large stall and would like to purchase a mini to keep them company. Does anyone have any experience with keeping goats and minis together?

We have a herd of Nigerian Dwarf goats that are kept together with horses. I had one gelding that did not like the goats and chased them. Our gelding and mare now don't seem to have a problem with them, but they will get pushy if food is involved.

We had pygmy goats with our minis in the past without a problem, but we never stalled them together and also fed them separately.

That was going to be my

Next question...my goats always have a supply of hay In Their stall but from what iv read

Minis will eat themselves sick so I'm not sure how to stall them together because of the good situation ...any suggestions

Food situation

We feed a round large bale to the minis in the winter months and while they do gain weight, the temps get below zero and stay there for long periods of time.

Often you will find them sunning themselves and nowhere near the hay bale so they are able to 'walk away from the cookie jar' . Not sure what type of hay you feed your little goats, but we do not feed alfalfa bales to the minis, but a good quality mix of upland grass hay.

My horses hate the goats in their space. They are fine sharing a fence but it gets ugly if the goat squeezes through the gate and gets in with my minis.

Depends on the mini's and the goats. No horns...of course.

Maggie tolerates my small goats. But she is not buddies with them. Now my white Icelandic just loves her goats. They even sleep on her. LOL

Here is my herd... last winter.

01212_ao1sBe3aXyb_600x450.jpg

Goats also cannot eat grain made for horses because of the copper in it I believe.

I've had goats longer than I have had horses and I've never had a problem. The horses learn to respect the goats right away then after that they don't both each other any more.

I make sure my goats have a Loose mineral. Think this goes a long way to keep them from eating the horse's manes and tails.

Latest posts

Back