Minis and ducks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specialk

Reaction score
Has anyone kept ducks in with their minis. I have a large paddock that I would like to put a track around the perimeter for the horses and get ducks that would have access to the whole pen. The ducks could easily stay in the middle acrea away from the horses. But they could interact. Ideas?

Our ducks and chickens often went into the pastures with the ponies. We never seemed to have any issues - ponies didn't seem afraid of them nor did they chase them, so it worked well... The ducks' "pond" was't out in the pony pasture though - it sat kinda in front of the barn...

13aug25dux131.jpg

13aug25dux135.jpg

15oct9chix120242.jpg

This is out in our pony pasture - between the main gate and the 3 stall shedrow

15nov21chix151806.jpg

My ponies and ducks interact okay, the momma ducks get broody when they have little ducklings and the drakes get aggressive come mating season (but they're pretty harmless). I only had one issue with one mini who thought it was fun to pounce on the ducks sort of like a cat pounces on a mouse...yea that mini couldn't play with the ducks anymore. As long as the horses cannot get at the duck's food, or get into their pool (slippery) I think it could work. Ducks so make a lot of mud because they like to drill their bills into the dirt, but that can be fixed by putting weed barrier down. Maybe set up a fence that the ducks can get under/through but ponies can't so they can take a break from each other if needed.

I have my bird pen right next to two of my mini stalls. The birds (ducks, chickens, guineas, turkeys and geese) free range during the day. When I let them out of their pen, they go right to those two mini stalls and drink from their water buckets (the grass is always greener on the other side, I guess the water is always tastier lol!) and also you can usually find a bunch of the ducks and sometimes chickens napping in one or both of those stalls with whatever minis happen to be in them. I've had several different minis in those stalls and none of them ever minded the birds. They also go in and out other mini and big horse pens and everyone gets along
default_smile.png
They also enjoy helping the horses eat their hay and/or pellets ;)

I'm not too keen on poultry generally, but I think ducks are really cute. I know Baby would have a ball punting the occasional duck.

This spring I was to the point of mulling over how the husband could build a duck-tractor, but eventually decided against it. Every time I hear the coyotes take out a nearby chicken, I get paranoid and decide I don't want to chum for predators that might potentially want to eat a mini-horse. I don't know if coyotes would attack our horses, but don't want to risk it. (I've heard the coyotes take chickens, and by neighbors' word of mouth, know that they've taken a turkey and a small dog.) Then last weekend we were chatting with one of our neighbors, and he showed us a photo of a black bear in his front yard (he lives maybe 3 lots down the road.) I think I'll sit out the duck ownership and hope the bear is attracted to all the neighbors' poultry.

Back