Miniature Horses...and the LGDs that protect them!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
With the recent posts of dogs vs miniatures, both good and bad, I thought it would be a good time for us to all share our experiences with the dogs that have proven to be great guardians for our minis.

bear.jpg

Our first LGD was a purebred Great Pyrenees named Bear(above). We got him at only 8 weeks old. He was a beautiful ball of fluff! He was born on a farm with cattle, sheep, goats and pigs. He was raised with our minis after arriving here. He loved to spend his days in the pasture with them, watching over them. It made my heart sing to see him out there with the horses all the time. The only drawback with him, was that he barked...non-stop, all night, and roamed! So he would make his way over to the neighbors, about a quarter mile away from here, and bark all night long there too, keeping him awake. He was NOT impressed, and called to tell me. We had no choice but to keep him tied. We cannot have gates to the ground because of heavy winter snowfalls, so he could always get out. He needed a secure property. We reluctantly had to offer him to someone else with a secure fenced in area. He is now about 45 minutes from here, protecting a small herd of sheep, and he just LOVES his new job, and takes it very seriously. The man that has him cannot say enough good things about him, but we already KNEW what a wonderful guardian he is with the animals under his watch! Many people have great success with Pyrs, but others like me, have encountered the same problems. They are perferct guardians though, if you can keep the noisy ones from barking non-stop, and keep the roaming ones contained!
default_yes.gif
: And they are absolutely BEAUTIFUL dogs to look at!
default_wub.png
:

These photos(below) are of out current LGD, "Amber". She is a purebred Anatolian Shepherd Dog. She came to us when she was older...13 weeks, and she, I believe, was more bonded with people than she was with animals. So she hung around the house, and not in the pasture. I would try and make her stay there, never with any luck. She dug so bad around the yard and house, it got to where she even dug up an electrical wire I had underground going to my barn and chewed on it! She's lucky she was no electrocuted! I tried selling her, because no matter what I tried, I could not get her to stay in the pasture where she was supposed to be. I finally came up with a way to block the bottom of the gates, and she still found ways out from under(or so I thought) the fence in slack areas of the fencing. Once day, I looked out the window to see her literally hanging upside down in the fence! Apparently, she was going OVER the fence in the slack areas, not under!
default_yes.gif
: I went out to help her out, talking calmly to her so she wouldn't panic and hurt herself, but she managed to get herself free before I got there. I was going to bring her through the barn, and back into the pasture that way, and instead, I decided to push her UNDER the fence at the same place she came over, and scold her in a firm voice, telling her to stay in there. That was 8.5 weeks ago, and not once, has she ever tried getting back out of that pasture again!! I guess getting hung upside down in the fence was all it took...heck, if I had known it would be that easy, I would have hung her upsidedown in the fence myself!
default_wink.png
: I am SOOOOO happy, and SOOOOOO proud of her!! Now it does my heart good to see her out there with the horses!
default_wub.png
: She will get better with age too. She won't be a year old until next month, and I have been told they don't really come into their own for 2 years and sometimes even older! If this is true, I am sure we will not find a better guardian!

She is a great guardian, and barks only when there is something to bark at. Some nights she barks a lot, other nights we don't hear a sound from her. I just hope that once summer comes, she continues to remain within the fenced in area of the pastures, and not try to escape. As long as she does, she can stay!!

This is Amber out with the horses earlier in the year, keeping a close watch over the horses, even when her back is turned!

amberwatchhorses.jpg

This pic was just taken today. The horses all started sniffing her and poking at her with their noses, so she layed down belly up to them. The one horse even tried pawing her!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

ambertoday.jpg

For anyone interested in getting to know Amber a little better, you can see more of Amber HERE!

So show and tell us about the dog(s) you have chosen to protect your little gems!

Last edited by a moderator:
puppypics013.jpg

This is Casey taking a break from the herd to meet a new comer. Usually she's in the pasture watching over everyone.

I love to see dogs doing what they love to do best.

Our dogs have always been good with my horses, or what ever we have on our property.

Lady seems to know when they are part of the family. She is going on 7 years old, and has been one of our Scotch Collies. We have bred collies for 15 years now. Lady eats, sleeps and stays with them all day and night.

She raised her 10 pups and when they where 4 weeks old, a call came over the radio station for help with a litter of Shelties needing a mother to raise 3 day old puppies that lost their mom. We took her 10 pups away and started to feed them, and put the 7 Shelties on, she raised both litters.

She has also raised kittens that the mother has left for dead.

Lady sure is a want to be mom and loves to wash my minis faces and is always near by.

She has let us know when, one of my mares was having trouble foaling. When she barks we know to listen and check things out.

DogsandMinis.jpg

DicettaRowdyLadyemail.jpg

LadyHerdforBarnbum-1.jpg

ft1750_s.jpg

I hope this works. This is a picture from our catalog that we took this year. I had my 2 twin nephews here and they were helping with the photo shoots. "Bruno" had to be in the picture, too. He loves being with the kids and the horses. He is the one that saved my stallion the other night.

LisaB

Here are a few pics of mine. I don't have recent pics of the Anatolian puppy, Tanna (now 80-plus pounds, lol) but here are a couple of pics from when she was just a few weeks old, and getting lessons in how to survey the herd from the old hand, Hayley:
Oldhousenewhouse013.jpg

and another so you can see her face a bit:
Oldhousenewhouse015.jpg

Hayley has been wonderful with the minis from the very beginning, and she LOVES the foals. They try to nurse on her, and even when they nip her she just leaps away, with never a threat to them. Still, I don't allow Hayley to be with the horses unattended, since she wasn't bred to be a livestock guardian dog. Better to be safe than sorry. Hayley is a house dog anyway.
default_smile.png
*I think that she thinks she's a human, lol!* Here's Hayley resting with one of the foals:
f3fb22e0.jpg

Tanna does live with the horses, and she is doing a wonderful job. And you are right Mona-- an LGD isn't considered a full adult until they are nearly 2 years old. The training can be challenging with a puppy, but a fully grown, trained LGD is worth its weight in gold, in my opinion!
default_wub.png
:

Oh help this is probably a seriously dumb question, but what does LGD stand for?? Is it large dog? or is it more sophisticated than that.

I really need to find a dog that can be with the horses and myself when outside, a protector of sorts for horses but for me just as much,
default_unsure.png
: but would also like to be able to have the dog indoors as well. Any ideas feel free to PM me.

default_smile.png
Thanks for this tread I'll be looking up some of the breeds here.

Oh help this is probably a seriously dumb question, but what does LGD stand for?? Is it large dog? or is it more sophisticated than that.
We don't have one (yet), but LGD = Livestock Guard Dog.

It is a generic term for several large breeds or breed combinations that a specifically designed for guarding other animals.

Hope that helps,

MA

This was my LGD and was a Great Pyreneese. BO This is him playing with Monogramm. We got him as

a 3 Mo. old puppy and we had him in the house at first and one day his instinct kicked in and he went

to the horses. He would go there the minute we left the place and when we came home he would come and

greet us. There were several times he let us know when things weren't right. Once one got out and he let us know it with a different bark and was keeping him from going to the road. Bo was so very smart. He could open the screen door and let himsellf out from the time he was 4 mo. old. A couple of times we would forget to lock one of the stall gates and if they were out he would make sure we knew somthing was wrong. We were working in Co. in Sept. When we came home I noticed he had lost alot of weight. To make a long story short

and after taking him to several vets and different treatments we had to put him to sleep. He was 5 years young and had a tumor on his heart one on his neck and lungs. He was in pain and not doing good when I found out what was wrong with him. He went over Rainbow bridge Oct. 25th 2006. It still really kills me to talk about it.

I never worried about my horses with him around.

IMG_0012.jpg

Here is Bo with Royal and this was one of his favorite horses. We put him in the stall the day he was born and to Bo that was his baby too.

IMG_0009.jpg

One more of him with Royal and one of my favorite photos.

Bo%20and%20Royal.jpg

He is still so very missed. We did aquire a new puppy about the end of Nov. and of course it had to be

a Pyreneese he hooked me on the breed. I got use to the barking and our nearest neighbor is over a mile away. Our new one is a female this time whom we named Shasta. So far she is seems to be very smart also. She can now at 3mo. old let herself out of the house too. I just hope her instinct kicks in the way Bo's did.

In this picture you see my BIG male "Yoldas". If you look close, laying down is Kismet, I really miss that dog, although she did bark A LOT. Many Guardian dogs do, they are simply telling the bad guys to stay away because they are there.

pawsandhooves.jpg

This is a new foal out for the first time and she just had to go see Kismet. Kismet did just as she should and layed there letting the foal check her out.

kismetmeetssparkle1week.jpg

One day I was moving the mares with babies through a gate into a different pasture and mom went through the gate and baby missed it. The baby ran up and down the fence line screaming for mom, who didn't seem to worried. Kismet got up and quietly and slowly got up and walked behind and along side the foal trying to calm her down until I was able to get mom back together with baby. She was a great dog.

Robin

This is the closest thing to a LGD that we have. Our blue merle collie, Kelsey. Most days, she is out in the yard when it is daylight and protects the yard, house and supervises the horses and goats through the fence. When we have to deworm the goats, one is hard to catch, but she helps us round him up
default_yes.gif
:

Kelsey%20--%2007062006%20--%20059.jpg

Kelsey%20--%2007062006%20--%20038.jpg

Kelsey%20--%2007062006%20--%20034.jpg

:saludando: Hi!

What a Gorgeous collie Jill!!
default_wub.png
: I had one as a kid (not a blue merle).

Here's my gaurd dog! lol! ha! :lol:

Actually he thinks he's one of my kids! lol! My cats love to play with him and chase him........ I have a bunch of goofy
default_yes.gif
: characters here! lol!

FlashMarty2.jpg

FlashMarty1.jpg

Mona I have to say your story made me giggle!

Here's my girl Lakota. You guys are probably already
default_wacko.png
: about reading about her on the back porch but she is my heart, my soul and inspiration all rolled into a canine body! She's such a loyal girl, protects without agression and talk about body guard!! :aktion033: All she has to do is BE with me and people scatter...LOL...must be her color and looks and presence. She's such a clown at heart, but when it comes to work, she knows her job. All the critters on the farm are her's...heck the whole farm is her oasis to guard, protect and she does her work well. But just ask Larry our cat...she has the most gentlest side for such a big floppy dog. They play together and even nap together! Not quite 2 years old.......Here's my canine soulmate...and the guardian of our farm.

ebc392f3.jpg

eb0b8bac.jpg

Great pics! I love seeing how the dogs interact with the horses. I don't have an LGD. I only have 5 acres and my house dogs alert me to problems in the pastures and so far that's just been horses getting into the wrong pastures. :bgrin My golden retriever is awesome with the minis though, and my Cairn "plays" catch me if you can with my stallion. I've noticed that if my Cairn stops to check something out so does my stallion....so it really is a game to them.

Here is mine Okie..She is a 5 yo 1/2 Australian Shepard.. 1/2 Coyote, the best guard dog ever...
default_yes.gif
:

IMG_0062.jpg

okie4-30-06.jpg

Here's Stuart (3yr old Anatolian) and our oldest mini mare, Queen...

stuart-queen1.jpg

I don't know if the pictures make it clear, but Stuart is acually several inches taller than Queen!

stuart-queen2.jpg

Stuart with our Collie and Corgi (Mellie and Trixie)...

Stuart-Mel-Trix.jpg

Mellie and Trixie:

Mel-Trix-1.jpg

and our grand old (nearly 15 years old) Anatolian, Akin ("ah,keen"):

jjakin06-3.jpg

We have had dogs in the past that became problems with the horses, and we re-homed all of them into non-livestock homes. Not taking any chances! But ever since we got Akin, we've had NO problems, and I think we'll have Anatolians for as long as we have horses - especially minis! Maybe even longer - Stuart even guards our house Pommies! :bgrin

Mona I am soo thrilled that Amber has turned into a guardian for you. She is breathtakingly beautiful!

Here is mine...we got him at 4 months old and he spent a couple of nights in the house...then out to the barn with the minis...he is a wonderful dog and we absolutely adore him
default_wub.png
: His first pups were born 8 weeks ago. He loves to play with the foals...and really is just wonderful with them. We still occassionally will have some younger dogs get onto the property...unless something is threatening his horses...he will just keep an eye on them and kind of "herd" them out of the pasture. If there is a dog that he feels is a threat...it will not make it into the pasture. We used to see coyotes going through our pastures all the time...and while they're still surrounding our place...we do not see them in our pastures any longer. We are very impressed with this breed
default_wub.png
:

Charlie had an especially good time playing "tag" with this foal...they were good buddies!

charliethunder.jpg

ziva54-28-06.jpg

This is Annie...the mother of the puppies...wonderful with the minis...however more interested in protecting our house...my guess is because of how she was raised...we found her a nice pet home and they just adore her! She thought she'd take a nice nap with one of our foals this Summer:

meg_annie27-1-06.jpg

Here are the puppies (all but 1 of them):

puppies4males2females1-1-07.jpg

And the puppy we're keeping...his name is Bruno:

puppies712-18-06.jpg

Tracy

What a Gorgeous collie Jill!!
default_wub.png
: I had one as a kid (not a blue merle).

Thanks! I had wanted a collie like Kelsey since I was a little girl. She is a really good dog and VERY smart (too smart for me sometimes!). Harvey took those pictures of her and she was pouring it on for her daddy that day! Kelsey will turn 2yo this May.

dog4.gif

We have a Kuvas which I Hungry are used to protect horses.

He was a rescue and was about 1 1/2 when we got him. He does wonderful with them. This will be his first foaling season but we also raise goat and he has done a wonderful job so far with the goats Kidding.

One cold moring we heard him barking out side which he never does. W looked out and he was barking toward the goat barn, UNDER the Barn. We ran out and one of the does had went into labor UNDER the barn. She had two very wet and cold babies. We got them out dryed them off and got them in the barn Under the heat lamps. Everyone is fine. If it would not have been for him barking we could have lost all the babies.

Since then when there is a doe in labor he is usually right near them somewhere. We usually kid them in kidding stalls and if they are in the barn and you cannot find him you better run and look because someone is in labor and he will be right outside the stall door guarding the door.

Barb

Latest posts

Back