Miniature Horse Show in Richmond, VA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
On July 14, 2007, there is a miniature horse show in Richmond, VA at Dorey Park. You can see more information about the show, which is one of a monthly series, here: http://www.varinarisingstars.com/ At this show, there will be the following classes AND a lot of fun: showmanship, halter, model, color, jumper, hunter and obstacle!!!

Many farms in VA with National caliber halter and performance horses have shown at this series in years past. For whatever reason, attendance has dropped in the past couple of years and we are in danger of loosing this opportunity to show and network with other enthusiasts. It's a great chance to get out there and have some fun, plus practice some in the ring with your horse.

Hope to see some of us Lil Beginners at the show
default_smile.png

When my kids belonged to that club we were the reason that they put minis in. I had some non horse owner kids who used my minis at that time. I dont go anymore becuase I cant see spending 100 or more dollars which I did ever month in years past , when I can spend that at a rated show. I have found some of the judges knew how to judge minis but most often they really dint. for example I brought a horse to that show two days after he went amha reserve national champion 28 and under stallion only to have him get dumped to a couple of horses that were back yard pets that didnt even show at the national level. I just figured I could spend the 800 dollars a year that I was spending there to go to 4 AMHR shows. There was usually more minis entered than even the english division. Two summers our division carried the whole series as far and revenue from entries.

Lyn

for anyone that is interested that show is the second saturday of every month. Stop in to visit Im only 3 miles from there.

Lyn --

I understand. I loved going because it's a great place to have fun and to practice. I stopped going because they combined halter all into one where geldings, stallions and mares are in the ring together and I can handle only one at a time, of course. If they'd split it up, I'd bring a trailer full and on a regular basis.

In years past, I know you, me and our horses have had a blast at this show series and been proud of the wins, too, even though we've had bigger. I really think this show series is an awesome opportunity to practice, have fun and meet other miniature horse owners :bgrin

It's also about the only chance to show minis at a "mini only" show in Virginia. And, it's very affordable at only $6/class... I'm taking my many time National Champion / Hall of Fame halter gelding, Sunny, not because he or I need a win but because he loves to show and it's a close, easy trip and should make for a fun day. I figure I can enter him in every single mini class and be at less than $50 for the day, plus my time and gas in the truck
default_yes.gif
:

Jill

PS Here's Tibbs Sundowner, a/k/a Sunny, pictured a week ago... He doesn't look like a 9yo gelding, huh? He will be delighted to have a day out at a show and he won't care what color the ribbons, either
default_wink.png
:

SUNNY%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20111.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because someones "back yard pet" is not being shown on the national level, does not mean it's not a good quality animal. You are after all paying for someone's opinion, and if their opinion is the other horse is better than yours, then so be it. I have a gelding that certainly isn't a halter horse, but is a wonderful driving horse. He is only registered WCMHR and is completely blind in one eye. I have only shown him a few times, and couldn't afford to show him on the national level even if he was registered A or R. Just a few years ago we won two obstacle driving classes and placed 2nd in pleasure driving at a local show, with good turn out, and yes one of the horses we competed against was that years national champion in these classes. And my little guy was 20 years old at the time! :aktion033:

Glad you are having fun showing your boy... That is the whole point to have fun. WE used to take 3-4 horses to this show on a regular basis... winning isnt everything I know but Thunder deserved to win that day. Trust me , these were not show horses that beat him and, the owners drove to the show with the judge so...

Jill and I and others did have great fun there. IT was good practice. When I lost my vision it stopped being fun because people didnt want me in the ring with them with Hershee. Thats why I quit then.. my girls arent interested any more so I just do go. IT is a great place to practice but I would still rather pay for the pointed shows. I dont go to as many of them as I used to either. Enough to qualify for nationals which is my ultimate goal every year and thats it unless I have a horse that is just on a roll like Midas. He is going with Bruce more often.

Lyn

It's all supposed to be fun and at the end of the day, if the "better" horse doesn't win -- you know it is just a ribbon. Who actually cares as long as it was fun!

And, Lyn, I know I was one person who wouldn't have put my valued driving horse and expensive cart in a ring w/ someone who is blind. I know your guy was as good as they come, but I always felt in that tee-tiny ring they used back then it was an accident waiting to happen.

Anyhow, I will be there on the 14th (unless it rains...), and it's a fun day and also for someone like me, an aspiring breeder, a great chance to meet others and let them know what kind of horsewoman you are and what type a horse you have.

The thing is, if the attendence does not pick up, it won't matter because we may not have this show series next year which would be a shame.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do remember when EVERYONE came to the richmond shows. It was a great place for someone to get their feet wet with showing. I do wish they would bring back the obstacle driving, when I was showing there my horses were not ready for that, and now that they are the show doesn't offer it...I used to go about once every other month for practice and to keep my horses in the game mentally, but it is hard to do that when you are the only one in the class. If more people came, I would surely go too, for me it is NEVER about the points or the braging, heck I have two geldings so no breeding there. Personally I just love getting the ribbons and spending time with my baby boys.

Courtney

Yep, I hear you on all counts, Courtney! If you look back when that show was going really strong -- look how many National Top Ten performance horses would attend the show. I think that monthly ability to practice at a show really helped some farms and it's fun. I wish that they didn't combine all the halter horses into one class, but I'm planning to have a fun day when we take Sunny down there and he'll enjoy being "THE" show horse for me that day, vs. sharing attention with three or four other show horses.

We used to go there and had a lot of fun and learned a lot, but at 120 miles away, it isn't practical to go very often :no: especially since they have added mini classes to the open show circuit just 45 miles away!

I definitely recommend it if you are close though! :bgrin

Just wanted to give this a little bit of a bump, so maybe some others might see it.

thumbs-up2.gif

:aktion033:
default_yes.gif
: Jill, if my ride is up to it we may make it. Since I now live in Williamsburg it's not that far. I'll sure keep my fingers crossed. Good luck, in case I can't make it after all.

Thanks, it should be fun!!!!! And I hope you do make it!

Now though with my dog going for bladder stone surgery today, depending on how he is recovering, there's a chance I won't feel okay leaving him alone
default_sad.png
But my horse, Sunny, is clipped and ready save for a bath on Friday so hopefully........

Latest posts

Back