Miniature horse "huts"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniblessingsfarm

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
Hi Everyone!

A couple of weeks ago I submitted a question about mini run-in sheds. I received lots of great ideas. Thank you! I wanted to let you know that I did a bit of research on my own and I found the neatest calf huts that can be used as a "mini hut." They are made by the Poly Tank/Poly Dome Company (website: www.PolyTankCo.com). They manufacture several types of poly calf huts. I placed a call to the company to ask if these huts are ever used for minis and was told that they are very popular with mini owners. The particular hut that was recommended is called the "Polydome High Door Calf Nursery." It is a round hut that is 86" in diameter and 60" in height. It is easy to clean, has great ventilation and is movable. The neatest thing about this hut is that it has a type of air vent on top that creates a negative pressure within the hut that keeps out snow, rain and cold air. All of this for well under $300.00 I am planning on buying a few of these for my mini gang and just wanted to share the info with my Forum friends!

Debbi
default_biggrin.png

Hi there! I was one who suggested a calf hut but did'nt know where to get them. Im going to take a look at the site you had shared as it sounds really interesting. THANKS!!!

Hi I don't post much but like the idea of these. Do you know how much shipping is on them? Thanks!

I have a large round calf hut (looks like what was described) that I have in with the minis and not a single mini will go in it. I have gone inside on a warm day and found it to be very hot inside even in the shade (feels like being in a greenhouse) so I have the barn door open with a sectioned off area that they can go in when they want.

I have several differant types of calf hutches out here. Do not recommed the metal ones as they tend to rust at the bottom and develop sharp edges. The single calf hutches work great in my stud runs but they do rub on them and break them up after a few years. My favorites, and the horses favorites are the round ones with the vent on top. I had the door cut down so they are easy to get in and out of and even in the fields were I have wooden sheds or run ins everyone piles into the round hutches! Esp in winter as they are nice and cozy, I have even ducked in on cold days to get warmed up!! The round ones are also easy to move and easy to clean as you can just tip on their sides and roll them wherever you want to go!

We have the polydome huts as well as some of the smaller regular calf huts and like both. my goats LOVE the polyhut and often most of the herd is in the same hut. they are easy to move and have been holding up very well. jennifer
default_saludando.gif

I'm interested in it for the winter. Seems to me they could get in out of the cold, wind and snow easier. We have a large run in but I always wonder if somebody is booted out and made to stand in the bad weather. :-( I usually keep them in on days like that, but I know that people laugh at that. These would make me feel much better! And it's probably better than blanketing them for the whole winter...

I wonder how many you can get in a hut that is 7 feet in diameter....

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea, thanks for posting!Am finding out prices here in the UK and will post when I know.

I have several of the Polydome High Door Calf Nursery huts in my pasture - my minis love them - we also have two 3 sided lean to's for them to go into but often someone is left out - it makes me feel better knowing they have somewhere else to go in.

The first couple of huts I did cut the entry way down so it wouldn't have to be such a high step but I would not do that again - the minis (even the babies) have no problems getting over that high step.

I have had as many as 5 in at one time - guess it depends on the size of the minis.

In our area the Mills Fleet Farm is now stocking these huts.

Latest posts

Back