Mini stud losing weight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doniakay

Reaction score
My friends stud is losing weight this has been going on for a year. He pulled a bad tooth and has had teeth floated, since then has ate well

He is around 10, eats very well, but skinny and losin weight the vet says he doesn't know what the issue is

Any suggestions on what to do next. all of his mare last year appear to be bred but doesn't seem interested in a mare right now

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you get more information? Size of stallion? Exact diet being fed? And I do mean exact. If he's up to date on dental and Deworming, then consider ulcers as a good possibility (stallions are often stressed). Depending on his diet, I'd consider adding probiotics to the diet.

could be any of a number of reasons. Please let us know what he is eating so we can help with suggestions.

Agree with worming and probiotics, if it were me I'd have some blood work done.

Also, has his environment changed? Wondering if he's pacing or running a fence over mares or a rivalry with another stallion or "studly" gelding.

What about the hay? Has the quality of it changed? I think minis aren't able to get as much as big horses may out of have that is too tough or stemmy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest making a list for your friend to go over.....It could be just one problem OR a combination of issues.... The previous posts

have covered basically everything to consider......

* Worming. What is her schedule and what has he been wormed with? A fecal test will determine if he perhaps needs a different wormer.

* Teeth. Since he's had an issue in the past, he should be checked again.

* Ulcers. What are is eating habits? Is he shying off grain? Drinking a lot of water? Playing a lot with his water? Acting depressed?

* Quality of Feed. As Jill said, if the hay is too stemmy, he probably won't be eating it. And does he get any grain at all? If so, what kind?

* Overall behavior. Is he nervous and pacing? Or acting "dull"? (If pacing, he needs more feed and/or to be moved away from what upsets him.)

* His coat/fur quality. Is it healthy looking or dry, dull, shaggy....not shedding normally.... If so, a blood test should be done for thyroid or perhaps another issue.

Remember, he may have a combination of things going on with him.....not just one.

Latest posts

Back