mild colic in weather changes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

krissy3

Hello,

I have a mini that seems to have mild colic with weather changes. He is very wild , and is fearful of being touched...so when he lets me touch him while he is lying down , I know he is not feeling well. We have had huge tempature changes in the last few weeks ...snow one day , sun the next , then snow again , and big temp changes in the night. I have noticed someones poop is very small, and I think a lot of us agreed on another post that is due to not drinking enough water.

As of now , he is intertested in food, is walking around , is active, and not showing signs of pain , just sleepy , and letting me touch him. Whatever he has is very mild , and I will keep a watchful eye for changes. What do you think of a warm and very sloppy , watery mash for dinner tonight? Mash seems to make them drink a little more water for some reason , my mash mixture must have a little salt in it . They have plenty of water buckets with warm water. The ground outside is very wet with 6 inches of slushy snow, so that could explain him having an afternoon nap in the stall on dry bedding. I tend to make unnessesary vet calls , so trying to keep my head from spinning with this .He ate an apple , and walked up to me for more, I will make surprize visits , and if I catch him lying down again I will re think my calmness and call the vet. At this point it could be just a bored , little pony wanting an afternoon nap.

Sounds like a warm mash would be a good thing, even if he's not feeling badly.
default_smile.png
I tend to feed more beet pulp in the winter, and I make it extra sloppy to get more water down them. (and our winters don't hold a candle to yours lol).

Jan

I have 2 mares that are very sensitive to abrupt weather changes. They both get a little gas colic. I give the minmal amount of Banamine to get them over the hump. The good thing is gas colic is one of the easier ones to resolve.

Sounds like they could use some extra fluids. They do tend to change their drinking habits from season to season or with drastic temp changes.

I tend to side with the idea of overkill, LOL. 3/4's of the year my horses get wet feed (normal ration balancer and/or grain depending on the horse, mixed with water, 2:1 water /feed ratio) and I give them oil year round ,about 1/2 of an ounce per feeding. They don't really "need" the oil, but it gives them a great shiney coat and keeps the insides lubed up.

They also get free choice hay.

I think soaked beet pulp is a great way to get fluid in them, mine tend to do very well with just soaked grain. I do let the grain sit about tem minutes with warm water to fluff up.

forgot about the oil , yes i agree with keeping things smooth in there. will add a bit to the mash. I did have a check on him and found him at the hay bag chewing away on some hay. I think it was an over reaction on my part , but will still get a bit of warm water in via mash , he did poop , and it looked "A-OK". Thanks for the suggestions.
default_wink.png

Sounds like they could use some extra fluids. They do tend to change their drinking habits from season to season or with drastic temp changes. I tend to side with the idea of overkill, LOL. 3/4's of the year my horses get wet feed (normal ration balancer and/or grain depending on the horse, mixed with water, 2:1 water /feed ratio) and I give them oil year round ,about 1/2 of an ounce per feeding. They don't really "need" the oil, but it gives them a great shiney coat and keeps the insides lubed up.

They also get free choice hay.

I think soaked beet pulp is a great way to get fluid in them, mine tend to do very well with just soaked grain. I do let the grain sit about tem minutes with warm water to fluff up.

What type of oil do you use?

thanks,

Nicky

I use the veg. oil from Sams club. 5 gallons for $23, or whatever veg oil is on sale if I can't get to Sams club. I pour it into a 1 gallon container and use a 1 oz pump from Tractor Supply (1/2 a squirt). Corn oil is great too, but it gets too thick in really cold temps.

I think it was an over reaction on my part

Don't second guess youself. Go with your gut instincts.

I also think you can't go wrong with a sloppy mash. Good luck.

We have a mare that does a little belly cramp dance whenever the barometric pressure changes drastically. After many vet checks & bills.... a little banamine, a quiet night in the stall with some hay & water & everyone is happy in the morning.

When it gets really cold up here in MN and my kids are not drinking as much water, I start up oil as well. I use soy oil, its cheap and does a great job. I feed wet beet pulp all year if I can. Sometimes when it is really below it will freeze on them, but they have something to do all night then.

Latest posts

Back