Midweight Blanket suggestions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mominis

Reaction score
I think we may just make the upcoming Carthage show in three weeks. I plan to clip Shake about a week from the show. I have a nice sheet for him, but I don't think it will be quite warm enough for him clipped, should it get chilly or rainy out after he's clipped. I've been able to find lots of nice winter blankets at good prices, but I just can't seem to find a nice midweight blanket. Does anyone have any suggestions for one that would fit the bill?

Depends on your temps but for my guys, a lot of those so-called "winter blankets" are barely enough in the late spring nevermind winter. We have to layer big-time. What's the temp range you think you'll have? And are we talking turnout blanket or stable blanket?

I would also do a rough clip in advance of the show as that first clip of the year usually looks pretty bad. Maybe two weeks or a week and a half before the show get the worst of the hair off with a long blade, then clip him properly with a 10 or 15 4-6 days before given that he's got a light-colored coat and won't need to color up again.

Leia

Are you looking for a stable blanket? If so the Kensington that Ozark sells is a really nice blanket. I bought several at Nationals one year and I love them we have a couple wearing them now they are naked and it is freezing out high of about 41 today BRRRRRR

Do you think that Kensington would be fairly midweight, Lisa? I love my Kensington fly sheet and mask. It fits Shake well. I think he'd be fine down to 60 with just the sheet body clipped. But, under 60, which it does sometimes do in June late at night or in the rain, I'd like to have something warmer for him.

Leia, I have been using the Slick n Easy twice a day on Shake, so his coat is pretty tight (not Class A show tight, but I'd take him to an unrated show in the coat he has now if I had to). I was planning to clip him 7-10 days before Carthage so that his dark grey had a chance to color back up. I have the bottle of Hot Oil waiting already. I'm going to clip everything but his lower legs, belly, and face a week ahead and do the rest the day before we leave. I was thinking I'd do the first part of the clip in a 15 and then, since there's about a 5 day lag time, do his legs and belly with a 10. Does that sound weird? lol

I am a RaDon fan, here, well worth the money I think...

I have their sheet and their midweight blanket. Their "show coat", the one with the fuzzy lining, is too warm for our climate. I had bought a used one but it was way too warm.

Andrea

Mominis said:
I think he'd be fine down to 60 with just the sheet body clipped. But, under 60, which it does sometimes do in June late at night or in the rain, I'd like to have something warmer for him.
Ah, and therein lies the difference. We're still getting UP to 60 on a nice day!
default_biggrin.png
For that 50-60 degree range I love my Glover "Canadiana Storm" blankets. They're nicely waterproof, come down far enough to block the wind properly and have a wither cap which acts like a turtleneck and keeps the horse that little bit warmer without resorting to a hood. Love mine! They're the same pattern as the black one Turbo is wearing in the show photos on my FB page Mimi, only without the belly band.

Leia

Ooooh! I check that out, Leia. Thanks.

Andrea, I am also a RaDon fan. However, this show that we are considering going to go to is a month earlier than I had planned to show him. My budget won't allow me to do an 'extra' show and buy the midweight from RaDon. That will have to wait until August and we're in that lull in our schedule before Nationals. ::sigh::

Susan, I have had my eye on that fleece liner at Ozark Mini, if I can't find a midweight that I like. The price is certainly right. lol I've gotten a few leads on this thread that I'm going to follow up on before I go with the liner, but that is what Shake may just end up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrea what size do you have? I might want to buy it from you.

I do think the Kensington is warm enough it is pretty thick and quilted of course right now my horse has a hood and a triple L blanket under her Kensington but it is stupidly cold out and in fact the coldest day by I think 15 degrees ever in the history books. High was 40 with a windchill factor below that it is miserable out there

I wouldnt buy another blanket...I think it is better to layer with lighter weight blankets, especially if the weather will vary during the day. Fleece liners and extra sheets work best IMO.

I am kind of leaning toward the liner right now. It is so much cheaper than the blankets and I know I won't be happy unless I get the RaDon Thanks for all of the help all.

Latest posts

Back