Measuring...Solutions???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To re-post this from another thread...the solution should be obvious...you aren't going to change the bone structure, nor be able to "fudge" on a true wither measurement...

The solution to the measurement problem can be easily solved, by measuring ALL horses to be shown on the WITHERS!!! Not the last hair of the mane...It would surely even the playing field, that everyone is so upset about with the measureing...until some "teeth" are put into the measuring proceedure, this debate will go on, as it has every year for years...even back in to the late 80's and early 90's...Every other breed is measured on the withers, it is the standard way to measure equines....who ever came up with the "last mane hair" most likely had horses that wouldn't measure correctly at the withers....so the debate goes on and on...Any one game to put forth a proposal before the deadline next year to cxhange the measuring proceedure to the withers? Or is everyone just going on to beat the same "dead horse"...just curious

Sharron

"For the "TODAY'S" Shetland/Hackney crosses in the Minis, perhaps it is time to split Miniature Horses in a class called Modern Miniature and Classic Miniature... "

I really like this suggestion
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
: What is going to happen to all those beautiful classic minis when the ponies take over the shows? I have already had a call from a person that went to Nationals and decided they needed a "pony" to win and therefore selling their classic minis! I can see the fad for the "ponies" among mini breeders going strong right now but I also see this is going to be something that may not last. Personally, I think we should be striving for the look we love instead of a look that judges may be choosing for the moment. Well maybe I will just go AMHA because we don't see so much of this with the AMHA minis.

Looks to me like there will be a lot of "throw aways" in order for people to get the look of the Shetalnd so they can win
default_wacko.png
: JMHO Mary

P.S. I do agree that a horse with good length of neck, angulation and length of leg can appear taller than they really are...I have one of those!!

i heartily disagree with the aspc/amhr horses being a fad. What a lot of people dont realize is this isnt new its been going on for years! Its just more apparent now because they are winning so much. Think back to all the amha horses in the beginning that had shetland papers but they threw away the aspc papers because it was a bad thing to have at the time.

They are here to stay and i for one am glad of it. We started putting them in our breeding almost 2 yrs ago. Because as a breeder wanting to better what i have i wanted those longer necks and better hips etc.

I have been told there is no way to start a new "division" or class due to the size of classes already. So just think if we had a whole new divsion of classes for "modern miniatures" you would be showing until 2 am. This is also the reason given for not adding novice classes
default_wacko.png
:

I also think they should be measured at the withers. But I am trying to be realistic and come up with a solution that will actually pass. I know in my heart measuring at the withers is never going to happen in amha or amhr.

Keep in mind if we set up a rule change now it will be 2 yrs probably before it ever went into effect. Please send me your ideas via email if you have something you think we can pass thru.

I do happen to like the looks of many of the shetland - minis I have seen, and would like to one day add just the right ASPC / AMHR (maybe small enough to hardship AMHA) mare.

The way I look at it is when you show, you are paying for a judge's opinion. If you see a trend towards what the judges look for in the ring, then you've got a choice. Show the type that seems to be currently competetive or don't and deal with it.

Latest posts

Back