Measuring Proposal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't matter what it says our horses or any other breed of horses are supposed to look like, we as humans will try to change things and push the envelope. That is what we do.

If tall wins we will breed tall. If high steppers win we will breed high steppers. Whatever - and we have chosen to play the game.

default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

I guess I am just stupid or something, personally I would love to have nothing but multiple registered horses. ASPC/AMHR/AMHA/Pinto and whatever else I can come up with. It gives me more options for owners in order to find life jobs for my horses.
default_wink.png

.... Breed what you like and enjoy! After all nobody is getting rich doing this stuff!
default_yes.gif
I agree. Not to mention the fact that most minis ARE shetlands - they just don't have the papers. So I don't understand why it is even an issue.

No it did not change anything for me. And I guess I don't care anymore. It will Be as it will Be. It doesn't matter what it says our horses or any other breed of horses are supposed to look like, we as humans will try to change things and push the envelope. That is what we do.

If tall wins we will breed tall. If high steppers win we will breed high steppers. Whatever - and we have chosen to play the game.
Well I do agree with you right there. IMO the shetlands showing with the minis will not go away, I think its going to be AMHR's route, and either I accept it and go along with it or fight it/go some where else. I accept it, but am I happy about it no, which means I'm not going to rule out AMHA.

I always said that AMHR/ASPC needs to come back together, I hate getting into these type of arguments. So I just won't say anything about it anymore. A miniature is a miniature as long as its 38" and under, truly thats what a miniature is.

As far as this measuring proposal goes IMHO it does not mean squat to me if it does not go into vote for all the membership. Alot of us cannot go, I want to but I have to go to school, many of us sacrificed just to go to Nationals. So you know what lets give AMHR's members a chance to have their voices be heard and let us tell you how we feel about this proposal.

I always said that AMHR/ASPC needs to come back together, I hate getting into these type of arguments. So I just won't say anything about it anymore. A miniature is a miniature as long as its 38" and under, truly thats what a miniature is.
true
default_smile.png
If it is under 38" it is a miniature .. A miniature horse is a height breed therefore there is no true "miniature" so therefore there shouldnt be a Shetlands Vs Minis showing AMHR debate every 5 seconds .. they are ALL minis if they are under 38" no matter what their other papers or lineage... if the shetland is 36 it is a miniature horse disregard all other papers it carries...

Last edited by a moderator:
Measuring will always be an issue. Hopefully someone can come up with a foolproof way, but that is very unlikely. Where we measure the horse is not nearly as important and the spot the horse is standing and the integrity of the person doing the measuring. As for me, I know that if I push the limit with any of my horses so that they measure either 34" or 38" most of the time, there will be those times they will measure out. I feel that is a chance I take. I will grumble, but will usually blame the spot the horse is standing and not the steward unless the steward was very unsensitive and rushing--something I have yet to encounter at any show. I don't usually watch anyone else get their horses measured because I really don't want to know if there is a way to cheat or if someone is doing it.
default_wacko.png
It is hard to find a level spot and then get the horse to stand exactly in that level spot, but that should be the only unknown in the measuring process.

Keeps being said but of course the Shetland folks keep denying this....Shetlands are not Shetlands, minis added breeds the Shetlands did not and went a differant way....made a differant type (as can clearly be seen in the show ring). AMHR is not just a height registry or ALL horses under 38" would be able to be registered, not just Shetlands and AMHA horses.

Just imagine if all the Shetlands at Nationals showed in the Shetland registry how big congress would be! Cross registring is impacting the Shetland as a breed also and I think not in a good way.

Still wondering why Shetland did not just add another height division if the breeders wanted a miniature shetland designation.

So off the soap box. In my opinion makes absolutely not differance were a horse is measured, cheaters will cheat! Would not want to see AMHR and AMHA measuring by differant methods...would be very confusing to those with double registered stock. Horses will always measure differant on differant days by differant people depending on if they are nervous, cold, fat, when their feet were trimmed, the surface they are measured on, are they as square etc.

Just imagine if all the Shetlands at Nationals showed in the Shetland registry how big congress would be!.................

I've tried to wade through this whole topic. First as to the statment above- The Shetland registry would have "fix" their judges too. You see I have one of those double horses. The Sheltand judges commented that he had "too high a headset" for the Classics but if you put this short guy up against the High Stepping tall Moderns --then what chance has he there? So AMHR is the obvious anwer for him to compete.

Next as to the measuring...I don't know which steward was "measuring high" as when I went no one was complaining and my guys (they're only A & R registered)came in shorter than their permanent cards! I do leave extra hair at the end of the mane because I was told "the steward can tell the difference" and I was told, way back when I started, that I cut off too much!! So now I let them decide.

Changing the way you measure without changing the height requirments is (pardon my French) NUTS! The 34" horse that would measure 35 or 36 or between is still the SAME HORSE. His movement didn't change and neither did his conformation. He'll most likely still be competing against the same horses that he did before. It's just not politically correct to say we now accept "taller" horses. BULL....

Those sticks that have double levels on them will still be "off" a bit if the floor you're using is NOT LEVEL.

The best we can do is try to give our stewards good equipment, standardized training, and accept them for the humans that they are which to my understanding is fallible.

I'd like to say "boy those rotten judges" because I didn't place as high as I'd like but most of the calls, especially when I went back and looked at the tape version of the classes, were what I agreed with. I can't say that about the Congress show. There, now someone can get all twisted over that.

Latest posts

Back