Measuring in at a Show....and being too big

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky Horat

Reaction score
Have always wondered what happens when you enter a show (AMHA or AMHR) and have a horse that is really close to 34" and does NOT measure in. Do you get your entry fees back?

No, you will not get a refund at either an AMHA or AMHR show. It is your responsibility to have a good idea of what your horse measures before going to the show. That being said, often times stewards will measure slightly differently, but USUALLY very close. Always try to keep your horse relaxed. If this is the first time your horse has been to a show, give them some time to get acclimated to the environment before going to see the steward. Keep them relaxed, no rushing, and if you think the horse will get a little wired up by seeing the steward approach them with the measuring stick, cup your hand over their eye on that side. And remember, with AMHR, you get 3 chances...but if you "measure out" on the first two by more than 1/4 inch...you are better off NOT trying for that 3rd one. (not sure how many chances with AMHA) Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Jean B. So far my horses have been fine. A friend of mine has just leased a horse that is an awesome driving horse. She is in her teens and has had a few babies? She has been shown a lot in AMHA (in her adult years) and been to the World. I think she was pretty close to 34." She is very heavy and out of condition. She's getting back into shape and is still an awesome Country Pleasure Horse. They have her feet back into good shape now too. Problem is she looks big compared to our 33.5" horses. We were figuring some due to her being so overweight. As we keep measuring her, we're getting over 35." I am totally aware that we won't get same measure as the show stewards, but really worried as she looks so big and think she has been pretty close. Do they ever grow after their 3yr old years (and think she was shown older than that)...or if they've been broodmare? Would really like to see my friend be able to drive this mare.

In all the years I have been raising miniatures (since 1991) I have had only THREE horses that measured the same at age 5 as they did at age 3. And that pork on the shoulders will definitely add height. But she could still be shown AMHR as an 'over'. Lots of AMHA-registered horses are out there showing on the AMHR over circuit, and it does not negatively affect their AMHA papers. Only time the AMHA papers would be affected is if you tried and failed to get her 34 or under at an AMHA show.

I was wondering just that too....if they "don't measure in" if it draws a red flag. So you find they still grow after 3yrs?? Interesting...

Latest posts

Back