Maybe, maybe not expecting HMM guessing game UPDATE FOAL IS HERE !!pg11

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Golden
default_smile.png

Still no foal..
default_smile.png
Dolly seems to be hungry ! She is eating up all her hay I put in her rubber tub to keep her from snacking on her straw. I can't keep that tub filled here the last few days. Last couple of nights when I look in on her on the camera she is eating or licking her salt. I use to catch her laying down but not lately. I guess maybe its hard for her to lay down and get back up these days. Her bag still looks the same as when I took the pictures but her whowho is back to looking pink instead of red. I did notice tonight the foal is kicking her in a different spot then it use to. Use to be I would see it move on her sides near her flank area but now it is kicking her on the bottom of her belly area. Not sure if that means anything. Also she is pooing more but still looks regular not cowpie like.
default_smile.png

Let's get a couple of new pictures of her -- a full side picture at her level, and one from the back looking down her sides. Ravenous is good -- no worries there! She's building her energy for foaling and it takes lots of calories!

Okie Dokie I will snap a few later today at turn out.
default_smile.png

She had me excited last night ! I stayed up most of the night watching her. When I checked on her before going to bed she was laying flat out ! I have the camera hooked up to the guest bedroom TV. So I camped out in there last night.
default_smile.png
If she holds out till May 7th that is my sons birthday.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Its crazy here sorry haven't got pictures yet. I have men here putting a new roof on my house. Was outside and seen black smoke just rolling ! then heard the fire engines. It was my poor neighbors house down the road. Their house burned down total loss ! My heart goes out to them. Took Renny to the vet this morning to be gelded. Its all done also had his wolf teeth pulled. Can't wait till tomorrow to pick him up. Wee its been a crazy day so far. Hope no more excitement today.

I watched a neighbors house burn to the ground a couple years back. It was horrific to me and sickening to my stomach. Luckily, no one was hurt, but it's so devastating. I had gone to beed feeling uneasy and woke up in the middle of the night with a bad feeling. I didn't know why. I didn't see anything when I looked around, but five minutes later I saw the fire. The house was gone in 30 minutes. That's all it took. I hope that your neighbors got out okay and that everyone is safe. I also hope they had insurance. My neighbors didn't.

I got the BEST MOTHERS DAY surprise !!!!! Dolly had her foal last night around 9 - 9:15 ! Its A GIRL !!! With SPOTS !! She is a dolly and very spunky.
default_smile.png

We did have a scarey time last night. I was just up at the barn at 7 or little after and fed. Dolly was acting normal and eating her super. I even made the comment to hubby that Dolly was going to have her foal for my mothers days. He was like yeah right. lol ! Back to the scare. I found the foal already standing but shaky an wet on the barn cam at 9:30 ! Went running to the barn with foal kit. Helped Dolly dry the foal and treat her umbilical cord gave Dolly ivermectin. Then wait for her to pass the afterbirth. She did every thing seemed fine. Thought we would leave the be and watch from the barn cam. Well the foal had not nursed yet and Dolly was not standing still for her to. Dolly was eating her straw like a manic ! So went back up gave her hay and watched. She still kept eating her straw and walking around and poor filly was trying to suckle. So I held Dolly still then she started pawing an sweating. She was colic. So had to get banamean (sp?) from a friend I know my very bad for not having it on hand. Gave Dolly that and in half hour all was well and filly was nursing.
default_smile.png

My question is when she was eating her straw and being colicky. My hubby removed the straw. So now can I switch back to wood bedding today if I get the big flake ! I don't want Momma back on straw. She was eating it like crazy like never before. Sorry if this is all over the place I am all worked up and did not sleep last night after getting up Saturday at 6 am and doing spring cleaning all day.

Here are a couple wet pictures. I will get some dry soon. Does this baby look big to you all ?

I am in LOVE !
default_smile.png

NewbornffillyDollys9-11-13.JPG

Dollysnewbornfilly5-11-13.JPG

Congratulations she is adorable and yes she seems a big girl. Mum probably wasn't colicing but having afterbith pains, eating the straw was probaly her way of coping. I bet she will be ok on straw now she is feeling better
default_smile.png

Ohhhh MY! Look at that beautiful filly!! Looks like she could be a snowcap appaloosa! How wonderful! Glad you were able to get the Banamine for the mama too. Congratulations on your specia Mother's Day gift!!

What a little SPOTTED BEAUTY!!!!! And I agree -- I'll bet she'll be a snowcap under that foal coat!!

I agree with Renee. Many times horses will eat hay to help soothe their tummies -- and since she was in pain, she was doing what came normally to her. Straw was there -- so straw she ate. Kind of like dogs eating grass, if you know what I mean.

Since the Banamine worked, and she's fine now, I think she'll be fine on the straw again, too.

Can't wait for more pictures of our SPOTTED little girl!!! TWO FILLIES FOR MOTHER'S DAY! YEAH!!!

Thanks !
default_new_multi.gif
Just got in from the barn. hehe ! Filly is very curious and full of attitude. lol ! Got dry pics waiting for them to down load.
default_smile.png
In person she looks like a dark chocolate brown sort of. I will measure her later today. I thought she looked big but wasn't sure as this is my first time seeing such a brand new Mini foal.
default_smile.png
Dolly is being a Great momma and doesn't mind me in with her and foal.
default_smile.png

Would it be ok later today to take Dolly out on lead with foal for 15 - 20 minutes to let Dolly eat a little grass and get some sunshine ?

When can I switch over to wood bedding the big flake ! Its so much easier to kept the stall clean with it.

Yes some outside time with Dolly on the lead is perfect, I would wait a week a then switch over to shavings when baby is stronger and her stump is dried up.
default_smile.png
looking forward to dry pics.

Some dry pictures
default_smile.png
Headed back up shortly to put straw back down. Right now I have a little hay down only.

DollysFilly.jpg

FillyDolly.jpg

The flash made her look lighter in this one.

SweetFillyofDollys.jpg

This was her coming over to check out the camera.
default_smile.png

NewbornfillyDollys.jpg

OH MY!!!!!!!! You've got more than a snowcap -- too much white!!!! With these DRY pictures, I think you've got a near-leopard!!!!!!! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, she's just fabulous!!! WOW what a surprise for all these SPOTS!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back