Marlanoc Round Four!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe she just needed to fart
default_new_rofl.gif
I thought you were talking about the weather when you said the wind blew a tree down
default_new_rofl.gif

Hope all goes well for you tonight! Cant wait to hear some news!!!!!

Come on Ashanti, dont mess your Momma around, she needs to see your baby safely on the ground!

Good luck Bree - hoping for a happy announcement in the morning.
default_yes.gif

She went!

But it was one of the most horrible things in my foaling history, I'm so glad I didn't leave her after replacing her alarm and feeling sure that something wasn't right. Ashanti had a red bag delivery.

I think any of you that have had one yourself will know how horrid it is to see that red bubble, to those who haven't there is no textbook and no youtube video that will properly prepare you for the horror of when it's your own mare. There's no time to disinfect or even lube your arms, you just go to war with nature as quickly as you can. I didn't even pull my scissors out I just grabbed and tore the bubble open, ended up wearing some of it but surprisingly ducked the worst of it. That's the next horror, that surge of blood and liquid that comes out of your mare.

Ashanti got to her feet then, it was so hard to take a few steps back and let her put herself back on the ground for me to keep working. I know it was seconds but it felt like forever. When she went down I just dove in, felt the two feet, felt the head and started to pull.

The next terrifying moment happened when I got her out and pulled back the bag, because she wasn't moving. I swear for a few moments there I didn't have a foal. I cleared the mouth and the nose, and then I did it again. And then her eyes opened, then the moving started.

I'll admit at this stage I just sat back and sobbed for a few seconds. Then I called the vet and let him know what had happened. Amazingly 5 minutes after this start she got to her feet. She beat Legacy!

I ended out calling my dad out to help me move them to the stable. Good thing because we weren't done for the night.

Ashanti was in a lot of pain, she was masking it but you could see it all over her. Still she stood there as I guided her baby to the udder... and we found nothing.

Another call to the vet to let him know. A dose of pain relief for Ashanti.

Amazingly before the vet arrived she found something to suck.

When the vet arrived he found Ashanti was heading towards a uterine prolapse, one of the horns was coming out of place and this is what was causing her so much pain. Amazingly in pulling the foal out I had only scraped her, no tears. He got everything back in place and gave her a stronger dose of pain meds. The change was almost instant!

Amazingly despite all this I have a very strong and determined little filly safely on the ground... and determined to stay with us!

So so so glad you've all managed to come through that. Prayers for Ashanti to heal well. Bree, you are amazing, big hugs!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm feeling both humble and awesome right now
default_new_rofl.gif
No one will take a picture of me wearing a bed sheet and posing all heroic! I am RED BAG DELIVERY GIRL! Pulls foals out in a single second
default_new_rofl.gif

Here's the timeline I worked out from my phone's call log. it shows how quickly things can go insane:

6:47 She starts to push.

6:51 I call the vet to say I had just had a red bag birth but got the filly out safely.

In 4 minutes I got that filly out and breathing. I called when I could safely sit down and watch. She stood shortly after this.

around 7:00 my dad and I moved them into the stable.

7:35 I talked tot he vet about the udder trouble

8:05 I called my mum to tell her the filly had finally drunk, the vet arrived shortly after this.

8:46 Vet leaves, filly has drunk twice more and Ashanti is eating comfortably.

9:40 I check them, filly gets up and drinks again. I turn off the stable lights and leave them to it.

Oh my goodness Bree - well done you - many many congratulations not only on the birth of the little filly, but on your fabuluous efforts to bring her through that trauma alive and in one piece!!
default_thumbup.gif
default_thumbup.gif

What a cute little girl, keep the pictures coming. Hoping Ashanti continues to improve, bless her!

Just been out to see them since Hansel thought we should start the day super early. Both are bright and happy! Ashanti's having a small breakfast just to keep her whole system moving along nicely and the filly bounded up for some scratches. Nice to have some foal smooches since Legacy is such a snob
default_new_rofl.gif

Oooooooooooo foal smooches are just soooooooooooooooo fabulous!! Almost as wonderful as puppy breath - before puppy gets old enough to poke it's nose where it shouldn't go of course!

Glad that Ashanti is feeling better too!

Have you seen the size of Hansel's nose? It's always been where it shouldn't
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl

Ashanti's being spoiled with a small amount of lucerne chaff and molasses. Normally a no no for her! But she'll be fine with a few small meals of it and she's enjoying the treat
default_wink.png

The weather is still a bit horrid this morning but the worst of the rain has blown over, as long as things keep picking up I'll put them back out in the foal group at lunchtime. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice and sunny but the next day raining again so it will be good for the filly to get used to the outside world before then.

Still working on a name, I have a short list but it's hard to pick. I never even thought about names for Ashanti's bub as it always felt like bad luck!

Glad their both doing well still. I'm sure you'll find a well suited name given this experience. Surely you have dry pictures by now
default_new_rofl.gif

I think your weather has wandered up. No gales but it is cloudy and threatening to drizzle.

She's dry, but in the stable so as soon as I go in I have a very happy filly attached to me
default_new_rofl.gif
I'm like her second mum apparently, the one that doesn't make milk but can do those really nice scratches! Ashanti might just have to share
default_wink.png

What words can I even express to thank you for being such a quick thinker in every regard....to bring that little one safely to the world, and be there for Ashanit as well. Well done....fabulous work....OMG! There are no words to describe it!

Congratulations on that precious little one. She deserves a name with this kind of special love attached to it. She wouldn't be here without you, and neither would Ashanti. She is just beautiful, and I wish I could just give you a big hug and say well done YOU!

Now, I'm going to try and think up some clever names ! Have you had any inklings by watching this little girl, as to what she should be named? That "gift of life" that you gave her should not go unrewarded.

wow, I start a new job and don't get on here much and look, you became the HERO!! In fair weather and foul.

She is a cutie and Ilove that she gives you smootchies! Wish mine did that more often! So is she a smoky black? or what color? Didn't look like I saw any white markings...

Those trees - woof! What a storm... Is there a celtic word (s) that describes a storm & joy of life in a word or two - female type? Hmmm???

I'm not used to being the hero, most people usually want to cast me as the villain
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl

I can't put enough credit on having the right information, most of what I know about red bags didn't just come from books it came from breeders. If I hadn't had that info then my filly would have had no chance.

She has a name now
default_smile.png
her full name is still eluding me but she's decided to be Freyja.

Freyja joined the broodmare group this morning. As you can see she was very distressed about me carrying her:

IMG_9586.jpg

default_wub.png

Twinkles and Belle were very excited to meet her again:

IMG_9601.jpg

They both met her at her birth but I drove them back to give Ashanti some space.

Tinker watched his little fighter of a daughter:

IMG_9659.jpg

(Isn't he looking amazing? He has a professional photo shoot coming up!)

Legacy was, well he's a pretty chilled dude. less of a lunatic then his sister
default_wink.png

IMG_9685.jpg

IMG_9691.jpg

IMG_9735.jpg

Back