Mares mounting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before but I wanted to ask one thing. Have any of you had mares mounting other mares that were NOT pregnant.

Thanks Renee

Thanks for posting this Renee, I am very interested to know what you lovely people say as my mare did this to my other mare just this afternoon... N we are uncertain if she is pregnant or not...

We have had mares in heat mount other mares -- we have also had bred mares do this...

I have had many mares do this. It is hormones.
default_yes.gif

Yep, hormones. When heifers here do it (all the time) the older farmers call it standing heat. I always thought that meant they'd stand for breeding, but it's said that both the standing and mounting mean the same thing.

We have pregnant mares mount others often. I have heard, though have never researched it, that a mare mounting another mare may be a sign that she has an ovarian cyst. Again, I'm not sure that's true-have never checked into it. I had a maiden mare last year that kept mounting our other mares. She is 6 years old and a maiden, though she has only been covered through 3 heat cycles. Will have her examined soon when the vet comes out for a gelding party.

I would say that it is normal, even for bred mares. I had my open mare mount my gelding while we were working on groundwork in the paddock.

Dan.

O.k thanks everyone for sharing your mares bad behaviour
default_risa_suelos.gif
I was hoping it was a pregnant mare thing but it seems that it can happen whenever, never mind! it's back to the drawing board for me.
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back