Mare with Nerve Damage

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmt

Reaction score
We have an outside mare that has a droopy lip as of tonight. She is getting close to 20 yrs old, but has not had the droopy lip until tonight so it is not from age. From what I have found so far, it is likely nerve damage from some sort of blunt trauma (I have no idea from what-she is not with other horses, but is on our yard where she is free to roam and flirt with the stallions). She is droopy on her right side and her muzzle is skewed to the left. She is eating fine, drinking fine, breathing fine, no fever, no behavioral changes and seems her regular self. I called her owner right away and let her know and she does not want to do a vet visit as she has had a lot of bad luck this year and is stretched thin already.

Does anyone have experience with this? I am watching her for even the slightest changes. I really think it's just nerve damage though from what i've read. I have Bute and banamine on hand -should I give her an anti-inflammatory? Anything else? I just want to do everything I can for her.

If she were a person with that description, I would say a stroke.

That's what I thought too at first minimomNC which is why I called her owner so darn fast. Then as I was researching at the same time it didn't fit as from what i read horses strokes are a bit different from humans.

WNV can cause this too. I imagine some others diseases as well. Perhaps a bug bite of some sort? You are good to watch her like that and I would recommend you continue to do that. If there are changes then you should contact the owner again.

Poor old girl, I too doubt it is a stoke and like you wonder how it can be nerve damage? Good luck with her and keep us informed.

B

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry and have no idea what could be wrong as this can be any number of things. However this horse needs a vet. The owner is putting you in a horrible position having you watch the mare go through this without emergency medical help. Do you have a boarding contract you can refer to with a medical emergency clause in it? This owner just cannot sit there and not allow you to call the vet can he?(or she). Good luck and best wishes for a quick recovery.

So far no bugs due to it still dropping below freezing at night so I don't think it's WNV, but I will keep it in mind just in case.

Horses have fairly superficial facial nerves-two major ones that run along their cheeks so it wouldn't be too difficult to damage them (at least from what i've read-the internet is great, but it's still coming from sources I don't know. I did get my info from a few different sites so hopefully it is correct). I am just hoping if it is nerve damage it will 'heal'. I don't know what to do to help it though. She is the sweetest old mare and I am already attached-i have to help her in any way I can.

From your description it sounds like right sided facial nerve paralysis. Is the right eyelid droopier than the left? It doesn't take a major trauma to cause this as the facial nerve is very superficial. Have the owner contact her vet about anti-inflammatories. These can take a long time to go back to normal and some never do. Obviously report to the vet if she shows any other signs.

Thank you Marty-the owner is actually a very good friend of ours. We have traded breedings for years and she takes very good care of her animals. She really has had a lot of bad luck the past year so don't be too hard on her. She did not make the decision lightly and I believe if the mare exhibits any sort of discomfort or has any other symptoms arise, she will give me the go ahead to bring her to the vet. If not, I will definitely bring her myself, no question.

Thanks Dream-that's what i'm thinking as well. I did check and her right eyes does not seem droopier than the other. Can paralysis be limited to certain areas of the face? I will get the anti-inflammatory right away tomorrow.

Thanks Dream-that's what i'm thinking as well. I did check and her right eyes does not seem droopier than the other. Can paralysis be limited to certain areas of the face? I will get the anti-inflammatory right away tomorrow.

Yes. It depends where along the nerve the damage occurs. Motor function "below" the point of injury will be affected.

I have had the nerve paralysis on one of my geldings, I didnt take him to the vet because honestly the vet cannot do anything for him, he was on a mash for a couple of months but he went back to normal, you couldnt tell. I would give the anti inflammatory because sometime it is swelling that is pushing on the nerve and that will help relieve the pressure. Good luck with your friends mare and wishing her luck in ending her run of bad luck!!

I honestly have little to add, but hope she recovers quickly.

I have Bute and banamine on hand -should I give her an anti-inflammatory? Anything else? I just want to do everything I can for her.
If you do decide to go the anti-inflammatory route; according to my vet banamine is for soft tissue inflammation.

Thank you everyone! So far Peanut is still doing fine and has not presented with any other symptoms. I will keep everyone updated on how she's doing.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Latest posts

Back