Mare with LOW temp.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ojai Minis

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm posting this for Felicia at Mountain Shadows Farm. She is having problems logging onto the forum right now.

I have a 13 yr old pregnant mare (9 mo preg) who has been "off" for a few days now...just sluggish and blah. She still has a mild interest in eating and has been pooping, though the poop is loose...like a formed cowpie. I've given her banamine and she seems to improve until it wears off...

My biggest concern is her temperature..LOW!!!! 96.8 - 97.0 deg. It's cold here for California, but not so cold to cause this. I have her blanketed at night...

Any thoughts GREATLY appreciated!

Felicia

I think I would give her warm water and keep her covered 24-7. Add some loose salt or trace minerals to her food to make her drank more. She might have a mild impacktion?

Yes I would call a vet, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll second calling the vet! I had similiar symtoms and the mare ended up with hyperlipemia which has a better prognosis the sooner it is treated.

kj

This mare should be seen by a vet. Anytime you have to give more than 1 dose of Banamine to keep a horse comfortable you should call your vet. Horses that are not moving around (ie when they're sick) can have a low temp since muscle activity stimulates warmth. This can also be caused by endotoxemia (associated with some cases of diarrhea). You have more than one reason to get your vet out in this case. Hyperlipemia can develop secondary to this problem if she is not getting enough calories especially in her advanced stage of pregnancy. Don't delay your call any longer.

I don't know about horses but our dog with low temperature turned out to be a major hormonal imbalance...she was breathing out cold so one could feel it. In her case it ended up being a tumor in the brain causing this, but I suppose odd things in pregnancy could upset your horses hormones....??? just a thought. I think you should ask a vet too.

UPDATE:

From Felicia

"Sierra" is doing a bit better this morning. Her poops are normal and her temp is coming up a bit... 98.1

To address some comments...

She's never gone off her feed or stopped pooping. This started last Thurs evening and she's only had 2 doses of Banamine ( 1 Thurs eve, and 1 Sat eve ) when she seemed the most miserable. She has no other clinical symptoms! Gum tissue is normal color and refill.

She's just lacking her normal "gusto" and has a low temp.!!!!

I have a call in to my vet ( who just got back into town) and am awaiting her reply.

Thanks again for all your concern. You can email ([email protected]) or PM me directly as I STILL can't get on the Forum to post :-(

Felicia

I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone who's expressed an interest and concern! :)

Sierra seems much better tonight and her temp is back to near normal
aktion033.gif
My vet will be out tomorrow am to draw blood and make sure all is well with the pregnancy.

Thanks again...especially to Ojai Liz for posting for me!
wub.gif

Felicia

Just keep a very close eye on her I am sure it isnt the same thing at all as the odds are so against it but I had a mare do the same thing was off for a couple of days nothing tragic nothing but just really not herself temp a bit low she then was what seemed fine for 2 days and then .. went downhill in a matter of 12 hours and we lost her to a form of colitis.

again I am sure this is NOT at all the same thing and I am glad your vet is coming out... keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back