Abnormally Low Temp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildoak

Reaction score
Temped a yearling filly tonight who wasn't eating right, and she temped at 90.7 the first time! My vet said she would be close to death at that temp, to recheck.. Checked 2 other horses with the same thermometer who temped normal.. I rechecked her twice and got 92.7 and 93... still abnormally low. She did have her first rabies vax this afternoon along with a cc of banamine. She's fairly bright and alert, no sore neck, just restless and picking at her dinner. Going out to recheck in a bit... any ideas?

Jan

I have noticed that if the thermometer end is in the middle of a poop instead of in a 'cleaned out' animal, it will read lower. Your filly would be dead at that point - and most definitely not bright eyed, eating, and otherwise almost normal!

Vet did text me that info too...hoping that's the case.

Jan

Maybe batteries need to be changed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Temped 2 other horses normally so I don't think that's the case. Just rechecked her a couple more times, at 94.5 and then 99.8 so I think manure in the way is probably the answer. Aside from that though she's still not quite right, will have to check her through the night now.

Jan

I hope your filly will feel herself soon Jan. Maybe give her a little Karo to perk up her appetite?

I am hoping that all is well with your filly by now but I just now saw this and just wanted to add that the banamine that was given earlier that day could have lowered her temperature as well. I had a stallion that I always had to be careful of giving him banamine for any reason as it tended to drop his temp drastically and then he would be a bit shocky.

Is it very cold out? They are mammals, but it doesn't seem to matter, temps will fluctuate with the weather. I found this out when taking routine temps to help determine foaling. I also found out that was a terrible method. Very likely she is reacting to the shot. Not severely, just reacting. When my horses have been through heightened stress, their core temps will go down. After, shots, foaling, and anesthetic, their muzzles will also get cold.

Latest posts

Back