mare stare questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPs flat rock acres

Reaction score
1st question. Love to get a camera whats the best to get and reasonable priced?

2nd question` have been watching all the minis love watching them. some I see biting their sides, ears back, kicking I am guessing these are all signs of getting close.

would love to get one and do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great question! I have meaning to post about this too. I have a mare at about 280 days and I want to get Marestare too. Can someone let us know

1) the equipment needed

2) the price of marestare monthly and is there a start up fee

3) how long it takes to set up

4) is it possible to do in Europe.

Thanks in advance.

saludando.gif

I am so frustrated... we have had so much trouble trying to get set up for Mare Stare.

We have spent $ on a new (used) computer for the barn....the cables to get the internet to the barn... and we can't get it to work.

We have had cameras for several years and could watch them in the house, but want to go online.

We have the unit to put the cameras into the computer as well, so we can have 4 cameras into the computer...

We can just not get it to work.

I keep telling my husband that many other people can do it... why is it that we cannot get this to work?

I need to get the cameras working on line... I have mares bagging up, and have several coming in tonight from another farm for me to foal out.

Finally last week my husband called a man from a security company to come look at what we have....

He said we don't need the computer...that our box needs to be in the house, if I want to be able to change 'channels' to see different cameras, otherwise I have to go out to the barn each time I want to change it...our 'box' isn't working correctly, so we need a new one of those...

He gave us a quote to get us set up and online, that each camera would have its own IP address and we would never have to pay fees to have them online, they will always be online...

BUT.... I wanted to go through mare stare to make it easier for folks to find. Because with this system I need to 'give' folks the ip address and password to watch it.

I am thinking that if we go this route, I want to still try to go through mare stare during the months that we are actively foaling mares, but I am not sure if that will be possible.

And yes... we have talked to Heather, and Rich, and a camera company...we have done what we think they have told us to do and it is not working.

Has anyone else ever had trouble like this...

I just don't get it.

One way or the other... we WILL be online before the beginning of next week!

I have never had all the trouble I hear people have getting their cam online. Honestly its really simple.

Julie I believe marestare supports IP cams.

We use a cheap security cam as we found the high priced ones dont work. Wired works much better than wireless.

So we have a cheap cam (50.00)

Cable to run the line to the cam in the barn (40.00)

Dazzle (this is what makes the cam pic appear online (50.00)

Monthly hosting fees run about 23.00

There are free hosts out there but I dont like the picture they post

IP cameras are getting to be a big thing but I havent switched yet.

Julie, I agree with Kay - it should be quite simple to put yours online.

If you've been able to watch your cameras from your house, I wouldn't think you'd need more than a Dazzle to get you online through Marestare.

Sounds like you've got more equipment than you need. Making it way more complicated than it has to be. You shouldn't need a computer in your barn if you've been viewing your cameras from the house.

The only reason I'm not online is my wired camera is too old to do it. And I'm not going to buy a new camera as long as this one works for me at home. This camera I bought in 1995 and it comes to the house through an RF signal which won't convert to digital, apparantly.

I have a wireless camera that I'm using to monitor one mare now and I could probably put it online, but the picture quality isn't the best, so I'll just watch it from home.

I got my barn camera, and wire through Riverwind supplies. 175.00 ( i needed a lot of cable)

I bought the dazzle, at Best Buy, roughly 50.00

I used to stream online free, the camera was fuzzy and never enough bandwidth.

This year I switched to a different stream, and my camera is super clear as well I have a live chat right on my camera page. Which is nice for updating friends and family. less than 20 a month.

1st question. Love to get a camera whats the best to get and reasonable priced.... anyone have one for sale?

2nd question` have been watching all the minis love watching them. some I see biting their sides, ears back, kicking I am guessing these are all signs of getting close.

would love to get one and do this.

I tried several different types. I started with a wireless camera system but because of the distance and the fact that we live in a mobile home, I didn't get good reception. I ended up getting a GE wired cam from Lowes. It came with 60 ft of wire and I bought 3 more extention cables. It said you could use up to 300 feet of cables. We ran the cables through conduit. It works well. I enjoy being able to check on the barn from my bedroom. Anyway, the whole shebang cost less than 140 bucks. Only thing is it dosn't seem to have a very wide angle view. The sound is very distinct. So I can hear what everybody is up to. Good luck.

I KNOW it SHOULD be simple, but it hasn't been for us.

We used to have wireless cameras, and that wasn't the best thing for us, there was too much interference.

So 2 years ago we went to the wired system, which was great. So we have cameras. We have had the cams hard wired to our house and a tv in the house dedicated to the cams. It has worked very well, but going on line has been the problem.

We called Heather and Rich, and we were told it would be best to have the cams wired to a 'dazzle' or similar unit into the barn computer. They said it would work better if the computer was in the barn. We got a PC that was rebuilt since we have all macs in the house. But he has had trouble to get the internet to the barn.

There is NO reason what we have should not work, but it isn't working...

At this point, we have done what Heather and Rich have told us... we have talked to the Riverwind Camera place...and what we have SHOULD work, but it is not working.

I know it SHOULD be simple, but for some reason it isn't. My husband is an electrician, runs a large commercial industrial company, so he is quite able to do this himself and he is stumped, frustrated and ready to just give up.

We are going to give it one more try...and if it doesn't work... call the security guy and go IP...

It is good to know that we may still be able to go with Mare Stare with the IP address

I feel for you I really do! It is so frustrating to go to all that work and not have it work.

We also tried putting a computer in the barn but the internet signal was too weak. We only tried it to get a wireless cam to work but that was it for me.

I just know for us the cheap cams work best for some reason

Last year I bought one of those 500.00 barn cams and it did not work. Returned it and went back to my cheap security cam.

I have never had all the trouble I hear people have getting their cam online. Honestly its really simple.

Julie I believe marestare supports IP cams.

We use a cheap security cam as we found the high priced ones dont work. Wired works much better than wireless.

So we have a cheap cam (50.00)

where did you get the cheap cam. Never have that type of luck.

so the cheap camera at lowes would work great? would really like to get something. thanks everyone appricate it!

Harbor Freight has a colored security camera for $29.99. It's wired.....using the same wire as phone wire. It works great! I now have three of them!

I will have to check them out. My hubby works for the phone company so he should be able to help me wire them. I would like to get something up instead of going to the barn worring all the time.

If anyone has their mares on mare stare and want extra eyes I am usually up 3x with my daughter let me know if you want me to watch yours. I love watching them and fine myself up late at night
default_smile.png

I got my barn camera, and wire through Riverwind supplies. 175.00 ( i needed a lot of cable)

I bought the dazzle, at Best Buy, roughly 50.00

I used to stream online free, the camera was fuzzy and never enough bandwidth.

This year I switched to a different stream, and my camera is super clear as well I have a live chat right on my camera page. Which is nice for updating friends and family. less than 20 a month.
I am doing the same as Holly this year. I've messed with the wireless cams the last 2 years and while they work okay at first and are easy to set up, the reception on them is just not as good. I REALLY like the clarity of these cams from Riverwind supplies. The cam that I just ordered was $129 + $20 for a short cable to go the switcher + $85 for the switcher. Technically I don't even need the switcher with only one cam, but I plan to add more cams later.

Then there is a single coax cable running from the switcher to my dazzle in the house, which is plugged in to my computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Julie

I have Riverwind cameras, My computer is in the house. I bought a splitter to have it go to the TV in bedroom and one to the Dazzle. That way didn't have to get the internet to the barn. Works well.

:saluteI'm really glad to hear comments about the Riverwind cameras. Mine just came in yesterday and can't wait to get it up and going. We went with the wirred system.
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back