Mare in Hospital

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeeOkie

Reaction score
Please keep my little 30" maiden mare (5 y.o.) in your thoughts and prayers. She had a bad distocia yesterday. I could not deliver her, nor could my vet when he got here, so we had to take her to a major hospital about an hour away. She survived the trip and the subsequent procedure to get the baby out. She will stay a few days, but they think she will be o.k. I haven't talked yet about the possibility of another attempt at breeding her.

Another part of this bad story is that the mare and her foal were already sold (I had a good down payment), and I was keeping the mare until she foaled out. Barbara came out and stayed with Cookie for the whole duration. I'm sure the deal will now go south, which is understandable. So now instead of several thousand incoming, it will be several thousand outgoing. This is the "reality" of the breeding game.

This was the first time I have ever sold and foaled out a mare, and it will be the last time. Not only did I have to suffer thru my feelings of loss but that of the new "owner's" as well. It was just terribly, terribly stressful.

Rita

p.s. On a brighter note, I do have one beautiful healthy filly on the ground this year.

Oh Hon, I'm so very sorry. I pray that your mare is okay. (((HUGS)))

I'm s sorry- did the sale depend on her having a healthy foal then??

Basically she is still bound by the contract, after all it is not your fault this happened!!

Oh Rita, I am so sorry to hear that! Sounds like it a bad deal all the way around. I am glad the mare is okay. Will be thinking of you. Sheila
default_sad.png

p.s. Nehi had a bad bout with scours yesterday and we had to have the vet out. He seems to be back to normal today but we were scared for awhile.

Rita, I am so sorry...................and sending good thoughts that the mare will recover completely.

I am so sorry for the loss of this foal. But I am glad that the mare will be OK. This certainly was a bad turn of events for you - and I perfectly understand why you won't foal out a mare that has been sold - ever again. We had a very bad dystocia last year and the vet had an extremely hard time getting the foal out. Our vet was thankful that the foal was already dead - as she would have had to have somehow put him down - he ended up having to be removed in three pieces. Our mare had foaled once before - totally normally - but these things do happen. Our mare bounced back amazingly fast and our vet gave her a clean bill of health to breed again. So I am hoping that your mare will be OK and will be able to try again. Was the foal too big for her or was it just in a bad position? Ours was trying to be born all four feet at once - in a sitting position basically - and there is no possible way that that could have been a positive delivery - even if the vet had been there when she went into labour. If yours was similar then maybe she will be able to carry and deliver a foal for you.

My thoughts are with you as I know how upset you are - and her new owner must be as well.

Keep us posted on her progress.

I am so sorry for your loss. All who breed have either been there or will be there one day.

By the way I totall respect your decision to allow the deal to dissolve if the buyer so chooses. It is what I would do as a seller, and what I would hope a seller would do for me as a buyer (and keep me coming back in the long run)

Rita, I'm sure sorry about your mare and hope she is okay. I've been in the same position - you feel badly for the mare, for the buyer and everyone involved. In our case the mare was already paid for and was breedable again. They kept her, and were close enough that I could rebreed her the next year for them - maybe that's an option for you.

Jan

Such a shame any time this happens, but in your circumstance it's two families grieving instead of one... so i am doubly sorry for your double sadness! hope the mare is ok. it does happen from time to time though, we had a similar problem once and lost both mom and baby, but have had six no-problem deliveries out of seven so far... with 2 more expected this spring. the lost mare and foal are never out of my head, it's always such a relief to get the next foal safely on the ground...

I am terribly sorry for your problems. Your poor little mare.
default_sad.png

I too respect fully your decision to keep the mare if the potential buyer wants to back out of the deal. I had a similar situation when I bought a mare from Rob at CLC Stables, I actually had the mare in my possession when she had the dystocia, we are very close to a vet hospital and did get the baby out but not before she was oxygen deprived. My baby died after 4 days in intensive care. Rob was so great and generous, I was making payments on my mare and he made some concessions on my behalf to help with the vet bills and also worked to do some fund-raising on my behalf through an auction. My vet bills were astronomical and I was at a very low point in my heart. Rob's generosity and caring were a real boost to me in such a difficult time.

It is my feeling that any good deed you do will come back to you three-fold or more.

Sending all of you love and hugs,

I am sorry for your loss & the buyer also. Most of us here have suffered the grieving that you are experiencing which I feel is the hardest part of breeding.

Thank you all so much for your concerns and prayers. I just got a morning report on Cookie, and they are very hopeful that all will be well with her. She is trying to eat a little and is walking around very gingerly. Has not had a bowel movement yet. The baby was delivered in one piece vaginally, so am hopeful that she is large enough to be a broodmare sometime in the future--of course, depending on the condition of the uterus itself.

To answer some of the questions: at first the foal presented breach, then after being pushed back in 4 tangled legs appeared (well, didn't really appear) that's what the vet could feel. Even sedated and propped over a bale of hay, he still couldn't get things arranged for a delivery. The hospital even had a hard time with her completely anesthetised and her rear end off the ground in some sort of a sling. Fortunately though they did not have to do a c-section.

About the sale: I try to treat people the way I would like to be treated. The sale was not contingent on a live foal. The mare had a price and if they wanted the baby, it was another price. She is new to minis, and is wanting eventually to have a little herd of 5 broodmares. She will retire from school teaching next year and can be home full time with them. This was going to be her beginning. The foal would hopefully be her show horse. But now her plans will have to change. If she still wants Cookie, that's great, but I can't "stick" her with a mare who has had and may still have problems. I will give her that option.

Rita

Oh Rita, I'm sorry! I know this is very bad timing for you. I also know you will do whatever it takes to get that mare well again and to make the buyer happy. I hope things work out for everyone involved.

So sorry to her of your loss Rita. Sounds encouraging for Cookie. Thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Oh goodness Rita I'm sorry!

I'm so glad you were able to get her to the hospital in time.

Will be crossing my fingers and sending good thoughts that Cookie continues to be ok
default_wub.png
:

So sorry for your loss. I hope Cookie ends up okay and is able to breed again. (oops, edited to remove a dumb question).

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back