Mare/constipation??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPs flat rock acres

Reaction score
Ok the mare that just had the foal early yesterday am hasn't pooped yet. Shes one of the ones I swear there isn't a time she doesn't poop. Well she hasn't since the foal. Is this ok. I know after passing a foal probably like humans that things just are slower to work because of the process of birth but just want to make sure she is ok and should have something so there isn't any problems. Please let me know. thanks

As the baby took up a substantial amount of room, it may take a little while to build up enough manure to fill the gut and then create a bowel movement.

As long as all else is well, I doubt its a problem.

Dr Taylor

I am not one to take things lightly and am very proactive by adding fluids where ever I can. While her system is probably slow to reboot, things I do to ensure things are moving along......

I like soaking hay, making a warm mash out of the grain (granted that it is pelleted feed, you can get away with 1/3 pellets to 2/3 warm water, usually fluffs up after 10 minutes). Well soaked alfalfa cubes work well too(make sure you break them up, sometimes the water is slower to reach the center. Make sure she has salt and mineral blocks aavailable to her, even if you have to place them above the foals reach. Any of these things will not upset her system, it is just a way to get more fluid into her. Don't forget, if the foal is nursing well, it is drawing fluids off of her, making sure she is taking enough fluids in to compensate for that is always important.

Keep an ear on her for gut sounds too, they should be increasing in sound as her system boots up, not decreasing.

Edited to add, I also do what copperwood farm listed below, as well as probiotics, but I usually use the above protocal first, then if there isn't any manure within 8-10hours after foaling, I get more aggressive about things by adding some oil and probiotics as well as possibly adding some electrolytes. Great information here.

Last edited by a moderator:
If she's not colicky, I wouldn't get to worried about it. It was 24 hours before our last mare pooped after foaling.

It is normal after foaling and usually takes about 24 hours or so before you start seeing the normal flow of poop again.... no worries.

Did not read all of what you have done with your mare, but have you dewormed her, this might help.
default_saludando.gif

I have found that most of my mares 'clear' themselves out so well while in the first stage of labour, that there is little left to form any droppings. It is quite normal for mares to go quite a while before producing sensible piles. Just make sure that she has plenty of liquid/water going through her system and all should be well.

Anna

Just wondering how your mare is doing, I am guessing it has now been about 36 hours since she foaled? Hope things are getting back on track.

Hope all is well and she is back to doing her "business." And since we are on the subject are you checking out the foal's poop? Some people give a child's enema to the foal the first day. Some dilute it. Some use the container but use water only. My new little colt was straining so hard. He definitely needed assistance. I did dilute the child's enema with some water. He needed it the first two days before he got "regular."

Latest posts

Back