Mare and Foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipper

Reaction score
I need some advice.

If you were buying mare and foal and they have never had anything but hay in the winter and grass in the summer and no grain how would you feed them.

The foal is 5mths old and the mare is rebred back as the stallion runs with them all the time.

They have to be dewormed and deloused. The mare is getting her rabie and tetanus and the foal will get his tetanus the morning that I am bringing them home. How old is the foal to be before rabie needle?

Do I do everything at once the minute they get home?

I know I have to feed them 1st cut hay?

What type of feed should I feed them and should I give them the probotic powder for their stomachs.

Thanks for anybody that takes the time to help me. Can private message me if you want.

[email protected]

ps so exciting I am finally getting a mare and foal and I am going to take back the mare and foal with the wry mouth. I always felt so bad that I took him back so he is coming home also I had already paid for all their needles so they have theirs but they will need a feeding plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a nice project.

As far as vaccinations and rabies etc. I would be guided by the vet.

THe deworming and de lousing would be a good question for the vet too.

They would likely want to do a fecal count. Anyway, I don't think you can do any harm giving strongid t/bimectin.

We went to a vet seminar and they said all horses would have a different worming requirement which a fecal count done on the stool would predict.

As far as feeding, I am a big proponent of warm mashes. Ours get the mix twice a day and it's a mixture of an oat pellet, beet pulp, some sweet feed, Horse Krunch and canola oil.

If their body condition is poor a feed store nutrionist could give you some ideas.

Just some ideas of what I would try but I am no expert, just a long time mini owner
default_smile.png

This is my recommendation:

I would deworm them with Equimax at this time. Then follow manufactures instructions for deworming per the time of the year that it is/product to use. You can use Equimax on your foal too, at this age.

Should they have lice this time of year? Ivermetin-which is the major ingredient in Equimax will help with lice.

Depending on your hay/pasture situation, typically during the winter months there is not much nutritional value in pasture, if any. It would be considered a filler from this point until spring. I would buy some good quality grass hay to feed them and start feeding them a good quality grain/feed. The foals as well as the mares too, if rebred should have lots of protein in their diet and at least 4-5% fat. I would feed them only small amounts of grain for a couple of weeks and then up their feed, but provide them lots of hay to eat. I would recommend a pelleted feed rather than a sweet feed to a horse that is not used to grain at all. There will be no or little protein in pasture hay and depending on the quality hay you buy, may not be too much in it either.

And yes, find a good miniature horse Vet. to build a repoir with, many questions you have can be answered on the phone. There are lots of knowledgeable people here to help you as well, please do not be afraid to ask any question here that you may have.

Good luck and enjoy your new horses!

Chances of finding first cut hay now are not good. First cut hay is not always the best either as it has the most weeds in it, or the most weed killer depending on how it is grown. Where are you by the way?

Your baby would need its regular vaccines,(tetnus should be included) not just tetnus or rabies at this point, especially since they have not been cared for very well. Both need the annual vaccines and whatever else your Vet recommends. If you do not know how to give vaccines, it is best to have the Vet or someone who knows how to, to do it for you. You can cause an abcess, scare the horse etc.....if not familiar with giving shots.

I would let them settle in for a week or so before giving them anything, except plenty of good hay and plenty of fresh water.

I would wait at least a couple weeks before vaccinating. Quarantine should be at least 3 weeks. If they are in poor condition you really do not want to heap a bunch of shots on them. Moving is very stressful so please talk it over with your vet.

First cut hay is actually the least desirable hay. Try to find 2nd or 3rd cut.

After they settle in a few weeks gradually add a good complete of pelleted jr feed for the foal and mare. Remember to start slow with small amounts and build up gradually.

I would wait at least a couple weeks before vaccinating. Quarantine should be at least 3 weeks. If they are in poor condition you really do not want to heap a bunch of shots on them. Moving is very stressful so please talk it over with your vet.

After they settle in a few weeks gradually add a good complete of pelleted jr feed for the foal and mare. Remember to start slow with small amounts and build up gradually.
Around here, Ontario, where Zipper is also located, We prefer first cut hay.

They say second and third cut is richer and possibly that is why you suggest it?

We never get anything but first cut but I am only one of many mini breeders around here and I might be doing the wrong thing for my group. We had sheep years ago and second and third cut hay caused abortions.

I think the reason why first cut hay is normally avoided by mini folk is because it is allowed to grow longer/taller and apart from containing any weeds from the field, minis do not find it easy to digest hay with a long 'stalk'. Second and third cuts mean that the hay does not grow up so tall and is therefore more leafy in content and ideal for minis.

So glad to hear that you are getting another mare and foal, but thrilled to hear that you will also be getting the first ones back - what a kind thoughtful thing to do. Good luck!

They say second and third cut is richer and possibly that is why you suggest it?We never get anything but first cut but I am only one of many mini breeders around here and I might be doing the wrong thing for my group. We had sheep years ago and second and third cut hay caused abortions.
First cut hay is the least nutritious of all hay cuttings and tends to be very stalky (colic worry) 2nd and 3rd cut will be finer stemmed and have more calorie content in general.

Unless there is a hay shortage most first cut hay is sold to cow farmers. Our hay guys around here always joke about how horse people do not want first cut hay.

I had a guy once deliver me a truck load of first cut (bad hay year) and it had already gone to seed. That is pretty much like feeding your horses cardboard because the seeds take out all the nutrients and fall off. We had birds everywhere in the dry lot eating the seeds. I hate bad hay years!

I was only going to feed 1st cut hay as I thought if they werent used to rich hay I would do them more harm then second cut.

I feed second cut to my minis now but I went out and got 1st cut for these ones.

Her vet said it would be okay to give them their needles I think I will phone and ask and see what they say to me about what they should have. Rabies have to be done by a vet and she is paying for the mares to have their rabies and the mobile fee and I am paying for the rest.

I went and bought Probotic powder for them as I thought that would help stomach and blue powder salt so that they will drink water and Purina Elite for feed for the mares and Junior for the foals.

I got louse powder and for dewormer they said Exodus is gentle for the first time if they are full of worms so I got it but should I use Strongid-T for the first time?

I hope I am doing the right thing. I need my head examined.

They are so full of burrs their tails cant even swipe flys off. I bought ShowSheen and going to spray it on and try and comb them out but dont know if they will let me. The manes if I had to can be cut but what else can I do with tails?

Thanks so much everybody for all your experience and suggestions as I need them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to comment about hay; when you live in dryland, short growing season areas, you get no choice as to what hay cut to buy... there is only one cut of hay, so you have to hope the weather cooperated and you were able to get hay cut at a good time in the plants growth cycle. some years we get early cut hay that is nice, fine and leafy; other years its cut late and you are just happy to have clean hay.

I just wanted to comment about hay; when you live in dryland, short growing season areas, you get no choice as to what hay cut to buy... there is only one cut of hay, so you have to hope the weather cooperated and you were able to get hay cut at a good time in the plants growth cycle. some years we get early cut hay that is nice, fine and leafy; other years its cut late and you are just happy to have clean hay.

Last year here there was no good first cut as it rained so much and lots of the 2nd cut got rain also so I know what you are talking about.

I think the hay really depends on where you get it. The nutritionist here says 1st crop is actually best nutrition wise provided it is put up on time. I always get first cut if I can. I like it much better than any other and it can be just as soft and nice as other cuts.

I also would skip the vacs for a few weeks, however I would deworm and if needed put lice powder on as soon as they arrive home. There was one time I didn’t do this as I was assure the mare was just dewormed before she got to my house. SO I waited until my horses next cycle. Big mistake. Took several times, closely dosed to get all the worms this horse had. She had more worms coming out of her then poop.

Thanks everybody for all the help

If I wait and give the foals their needles can I still give the mares the rabie needle as a vet has

to give that and the lady I am getting them from is going to pay for the rabies. That is the only needle they will be

getting and it is about a 40 minute ride to my place from where they are and I am not taking the foals off the mares

until they are here for a while.

I dont know what to do as I would like them to have their rabie needle. What happens to the horse if you give

the vac. and you move them at the same time?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back