Mare aborted yesterday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcr

Reaction score
I went out to feed yesterday and noticed one of the mare standing with a cocked back leg. Instinct said something isn't right here. She moved forward and didn't limp but as she walked past me there was a bubble hanging out. She is way too early to be foaling so knew she was aborting. Brought her in, stuck my arm up and all I could feel were butt bones, breach, urgh. Knew it was more than I could handle so gave her banamine and headed for the vet. The baby had been dead 1-2 days and couldn't get it out but got feet headed in the right direction. Gave her a block above the tail and had to winch the foal out. Wouldn't you know it would be a spectacularly colored colt marked just like his daddy in my avatar.

Vet said he must have been very active as the cord was completely twisted and wrapped around his head. Mare wasn't due to foal for another 6-8 weeks at the least. He was perfectly normal but had done himself in by twisting the cord. Who would think they could be so active to twist the cord that way.

Mare is home and doing well and on antibiotics and close watch.

I'm so sorry.
default_sad.png
I'm glad your mare is fine. Run free beautiful colt.......

Awww....that's too bad.
default_sad.png
Glad your mare is okay, though.

I am so sorry for your loss. I have had the exact same thing happen here...about 6 weeks early, and severely twisted cord, and cut the oxygen off to the foal. Died in the same position, and had to have the vet out to get the foal out.

Unfortunately I have been there too.

The foal is not ready to birth so it is not in the correct position.

It is always heartbreaking because you are sooo close to foaling you can almost feel it.

It sounds like a beautiful foal too.

I'm sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss.

It is so dissapointing when things follow this course.

Carolyn

Kathi this is not how 2009 was supposed to start for you! I'm so sorry Annie lost her foal.
default_no.gif
I know how much she means to you and how excited you were for this foal. Annie was an orphan foal that Kathi raised and is extremely attached to. I'm glad to hear she's doing okay, though I'm sure she gave you quite a scare.

I'm sorry Kathi
default_sad.png

I lost a black tovero colt by Spuds (who I had lost) that way. The cord was wrapped 4 times around the colts hocks. So close and yet so far. Always a hurtful loss

So sorry Kathi. Sounds like he was spetacular and probably had the personality to go along with it which is why he ended up like that. Glad your mare is doing well.

Boy, can't you tell it's "that" time of year? Such sad news along with the good for the next few months.
default_no.gif

default_no.gif
So sorry for your loss
default_no.gif
This time of year can be both heart breaking and heart warming all at the same time. {{{HUGS}}} to you and your mare.

Kathi I read your post and couldn't believe it. I just came back from visiting the vet today with the same thing. My much anticipated foal by my app stallion (in my avatar) out of my app mare was aborted early this morning. The cord was wrapped around the hocks. The mare was about 8 3/4 months along. Oh, and it was a filly marked just like dad! I can't believe it! The vet is sending samples to the lab to be tested, but the best guess so far is a twisted cord. I just pray (for both of us) that this is not an indication of how the year is going to proceed. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mare.
default_pray.gif

Back