Mane & Tail

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastrack

Reaction score
A mini I am showing had 'dandruff'; dry, flaky mane. I used some Mane & Tail and he ended up with a scurf on his neck on both sides of his mane.

Did I use too much? Has anyone else experienced scurfing after use?

Some horses can be allergic to MTG. I would clean it and rinse it really good and then ask the vet to check if your mini has an allergy to something.

Sometimes though using MTG raises the rest of the dead skin out of the area.

I have had good luck with, Head and shoulders shampoo.

And once to twice a week, You can also make a white vinegar rinse, take 2 cups of luke warm water, ad 1/4 cup vinegar, and carefully poor along the mane, don't rinse.

This helps balance the PH on a horse with Dandruff.

But like everything, a same test first is always best, to make sure there is no reactions.

Shari thanks for those tips!
aktion033.gif

I used MTG on several horses this spring, and they were all fine except one. Henry ended up with his eyes swollen almost shut, and looked terrible! Called the Vet, he said apparently Henry is allergic to the MTG, and has sensative skin. Never used it on him again, and its hasn't happened since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary I've had good luck with a bath with vetrolin, oster, or tea tree shampoos and conditioner. Then rub in some cowboy magic detangler & shine while the neck/mane is wet. Tail also, stops that shedding of those 2" long tail hairs that flip upside down and look awful. Then I just put in on when they are dry for a few days then as needed. It feels oily like baby oil but soaks in and then just makes the hair soft, not greasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary I've had good luck with a bath with vetrolin, oster, or tea tree shampoos and conditioner. Then rub in some cowboy magic detangler & shine while the neck/mane is wet. Tail also, stops that shedding of those 2" long tail hairs that flip upside down and look awful. Then I just put in on when they are dry for a few days then as needed. It feels oily like baby oil but soaks in and then just makes the hair soft, not greasy.

Pam, when you rub in the cowboy magic detangler do you leave it in?

Latest posts

Back