Mane grooming question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoeboxstables

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So, I have a mane question for you all. Over the summer, my stallion went and rubbed a big portion of his mane out
default_wacko.png
. Since then, I've been applying MTG, and doing my best to help grow it out. However, it's still not perfect. It now lies flat (yay!), but is not nearly as long as the part that was not rubbed out
default_wacko.png
I'm left with a mane that is very long at the end, and pretty short towards the bridle path, with an even shorter part in between the two parts. Here is a picture of his mane, freshly washed, from the other day. I outlined the basic shape of it, so you can see it more easily

vicmane-1.jpg

Now, my question. Should I trim the long part, to help it blend with the short part? or do nothing, and wait and see what happens?

Thanks everyone
default_yes.gif

I would leave it. I have "fixed" manes until there was nothing left of them!! My new philosophy on my horses manes is don't touch and let grow out!!

A bit of a high-jack: But do minis get shown with "hunter" braids? Or "Dressage" braids? Or always long?

I had a mare that would fight/play with our big horse over the fence. Eventually, there was nothing left of the top part of her mane. So half way through the show season (July), I cut it all the same length and gelled it really good. It looked alright. Showed her neck more.
default_smile.png
But the judges understand things like this happen. Now its growing all the same length through the winter and it'll look nice over the next show season. I would cut it and by the time you're ready to show, it'll look nice. Just don't wait too long. :p

The only thing I would do is shorten the longest piece a tad bit, but leave the rest alone and MTG. If you shorten that one really long jag on the point of the shoulder, it will even it out a bit and then - it will look good and as the rest of the year goes it will be great! MTG - is really great stuff!

Don't cut it if your are going to "even" it up. you can take some clipper blades (not attached to the clippers) and run it down through the mane it will cut it more 'naturally" or get one of those tools you can buy with a razor blade in it and do the same thing...you want it to look natural. I grew up with hunter/jumpers/event/dressage horses and love the blunt end short look but i think i fyou can make it look more natural even if it's short it would do better in competition. I'm not sure why more people dont' show with a short mane because the long mane really doesn't help many horses necks!

Thank you everyone for the input
default_yes.gif
I am going to keep slathering him with the MTG, and probably clip the longest 1/2-1" off, just so it's not SO extremely different
default_rolleyes.gif

Back