Male Alpaca just visiting for breeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
Oh he is so small, but has already got the job done, we hope.

Keeping him here for a month, than sending him home after they come back from holidays.

Dream Catcher is liking his size....
default_biggrin.png

So here is Mack the Alpaca brown male and Witch U Caller our Llama X Alpaca and Dream Catcher our fellow deer. Enjoying the nice sunny day .....

DreamCatcherandMack.jpg

DreamandMack3.jpg

WitchUCallerandMack007.jpg

Added pics of water flowing down a few replys... with a sub pump if interested in keeping your

pond moving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary--what a handsome male he is!! Wow--looks like he has his tux on for the occasion! I forgot all about your deer--very sweet!

Just how long is the gestation for an alpaca?

Karla,

The average gestation period is 11.5 months, but pregnancies that go for over a year are not uncommon.

Births are generally trouble-free and most occur before the middle of the day. Cria should be 12 - 20 pounds at birth and most will be on their feet and nursing within 2 to 3 hours. The mothers are often very protective and the cria will stay with its mother until weaning at 5 to 6 months of age.

Females are usually re-mated 2 to 6 weeks after giving birth

Alpacas are reproductively very different than cows, sheep, goats or horses.

Unlike all those other species, female alpacas do not have a regular estrous cycle where they come into heat at regular intervals. Camelids are induced ovulators.

This means that the female does not ovulate any eggs (oocytes) until she has been bred by the male. The act of breeding stimulates hormonal events inside the female which result in ovulation and hopefully conception.

Just for thoses that do not know.
default_saludando.gif

alpacas do not have a regular estrous cycle where they come into heat at regular intervals. Camelids are induced ovulators. This means that the female does not ovulate any eggs (oocytes) until she has been bred by the male. The act of breeding stimulates hormonal events inside the female which result in ovulation and hopefully conception.
Whoa...you learn something new everyday !!!!

Glad I'm not an alpaca...it's bad enough knowing when things will happen hahahahahhahaha

Hes cute Mary, A bit different from the LLamas, but their both camelids and have fiber. That should be a nice cria from the cross.

Thank you all, he is a looker, and smaller which we like.

Witch U Caller is a Llama X Alpaca so went with the Alpaca being smaller.

We thought at first missing home and his herd, he has such a sad cry, like a baby.

But now, eating and settled in nicely, cannot wait to see next year what they have?

Thanks for letting me share, have our water flowing now in the pond.

Finally hubby agrees does not look too bad?

Hooked up to a sub pump, keeps the water moving.

thanks for looking....

Waterfountain002s.jpg

Waterfountain010s.jpg

Very cute... especially the deer!
default_smile.png

I didn't realize (never thought about it) alpacas and llamas could breed... are they very different animals? I mean, other than size (alapacas are smaller, right?) what's the difference?

Interesting that they are induced ovulators! I used to breed rabbits, I know they are, but never would have guessed llamas and alpacas are!
default_smile.png

What is the difference between a llama and an alpaca?

The only difference I have read is:

An alpaca is a smaller cousin of the llama that is used primarily for fiber production

and Llamas make a better protector of minis or sheep etc.

Llamas eat a large variety of plants. They prefer tree leaves, weeds, and shrubs, but also eat many types of grasses, and hay.

Our pond area is finally free of weeds, they keep them down.

(so does the deer.)

Their dung is great for fertilizer....and killing weeds:

Compared to the other barnyard animals, the nitrogen and potassium content of lama doodoo is comparatively high--an indication of good fertilizer value. (Nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium are the major plant nutrients; they are the familiar N-P-K on fertilizer bags.)
default_biggrin.png

You can break them to also drive

the alpaca is cute but OMG you have a deer how fun is that!

Latest posts

Back