Maiden Mare Accidentally Killed Foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry for the loss of your foal. I know how heartbreaking it is.

A friend of mine in Michigan told me about one of her mares who wouldn't accept her foal. They tried several things, such as holding the mare and encouraging the foal to nurse, etc. The trick that worked for them was putting a large toy, stuffed horse (like you'd win at a fair) in the stall with the mare and foal. The mare became extremely protective of the baby with this "intruder" present. I'm not sure how long they left it in there, but when they removed it, the mare accepted her foal no problem. I thought that was such a clever idea!

I'm so sorry about your foal, what a bummer. I only read the first page of answers so maybe this has been said. I know that a lot of foals do look all over to nurse before they latch on but their's plenty that go right from the target immediately too. I think it's very possible that she nailed him a good one when he went to nurse. My filly born last wk was one, never even looked at the legs or chest to nurse, went right for the nipples. I think I'd give her another chance, when you can get your equipage system and know that you can be their 24/7 to watch her. It's a great system but you still have to be their. Poor mare, I'm sure if she is the one that killed it, she didn't mean to. I feel sorry for the baby too and you.

I'm very sorry for your loss!

I tried everything I could to be there this time--had off work, stayed up through the night, checked at least every hour.... And still missed it by a few minutes.And who knows if I'll be able to make it next time; I have 3 kids, 2 jobs, and an obviously very sneaky little horse, and as much as I try, there's always the possibility that I won't make it in time....

I feel horrible because if I had been there I could have stopped it......

Any advice??
default_unsure.png
Breeding horses is not for everyone. There is a tremendous commitment. Being there is the number one commitment. We all know that does not solve all the problems, but many of them are helped. If you have two jobs, 3 kids, and all your other commitments, my only advise is to find someone that can foal out for you who will be responsible for being there.
I agree that being there is very important, but it DOES sound like Ellie tried very hard and that this is not her first foal. Taking time off work to be with the horses sounds like being pretty committed to me! I'm sorry but if people who have a "life" aren't suppose to breed, then heck, that would wipe out over 1/2 the foals being born each year! There are 100's of foals that have unwatched births that do fine. There are 100's that don't do fine. But if "having a life" is means to being a poor breeder, that's just daft. I'm going to college this year - and I have 2 foals coming... Guess I should give up before I start.
default_wink.png
Out side of work or grocery shopping I rarely leave the house as it is (We live far from town)
default_laugh.png
default_rolleyes.gif

Accidents HAPPEN. Yes, being there is very important, but even still things can go wrong. Not everyone can take weeks or even months off from their job. Someone HAS to buy feed, hay, bedding, groceries, etc.

I guess coming from a working class family, makes the "average joe" a terrible breeder. Oh well.

I do second the Equi-Pager, mare-stare, test strips and possibly even a second camera. I plan to use all these.

I'm sorry you are going thru this but also sorry your poor mare is going thru this. She lost her foal. She is more than likely mourning the loss of the wee one. Not having seen what happened it is just a guess. This is heartbreaking but I don't believe you should avoid breeding her again when the time is right. It sounds like she didn't have time to bond with her foal. Things happen in foaling that are out of our control. This could easily be a case where the mare was standing and turning. Unless you found an obvious injury to the head of your foal it would be hard to say that is what happened for sure. As for your mare kicking at the other foals that would be normal. They aren't hers.

Please stop kicking yourself. This is not your fault.

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. Without actually seeing what happened, it may not be accurate to blame the mare for doing it. As for the rubbery "slippers", I have had foals keep thm until the next day sometimes, depending on how active they are and how deep the bedding is. Again, so sorry for your loss.

Thank you everybody.

And Desiree, thank you for having the "nuts" to voice what I was thinking but didn't have the nerve to say.....

Ok, so NOT an expert here on the minis, but did grow up on a farm and participated in more animal births than I can remember. If you really did get to the baby within just a few minutes of foaling, I have a hard time thinking the little one was already trying to nurse??

My guess is also that the little one may have just been born dead or almost so and momma was shoving him around some in her eagerness over him.

I'm VERY sorry for your loss, it sounds like you were being very diligent!

Latest posts

Back