Magic and I are going to our first clinic! What do we need to know?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicTheMini

Reaction score
So as the title says, Magic and I are going to our first clinic. We are driving with Hardy Zantke at Equine affaire in Pomona, CA on Feb. 4th. (If your in the area, stop by and say hi!) I am confidant in my horse being safe...I hope I am not too nervous. I have been to riding clinics, but never a driving clinic. I just want to make sure I do everything properly.

I plan on wearing a solid darker colored polo shirt, black pants, and a helmet. Sound good? I don't normally wear gloves, but I think it is more proper. Should I? I also don't drive with blinders, thats ok right (Magic doesn't like them, but if I should, I will add them)?

The clinic is about driving and setting up a good cones course. Any important things I should know? I have only driven in one ADT, so I am a bit green on that subject.

I am very excited! My horse is great, so I want to make sure I do my best not to let him down. Thanks! L

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to make sure I do everything properly.
I plan on wearing a solid darker colored polo shirt, black pants, and a helmet. Sound good? I don't normally wear gloves, but I think it is more proper. Should I? I also don't drive with blinders, thats ok right (Magic doesn't like them, but if I should, I will add them)?

You lucky duck!
default_biggrin.png
I went to a seminar once with Hardy (in Feb. in Wis., did not take a horse
default_rolleyes.gif
), and I learned A LOT!

As a driver who took a couple of mega lessons with Mary Ruth Marks last year, my biggest advice is, "Don't let your concerns about doing things right get in the way of your learning." I was so nervous about "impressing" her or "not making a fool of myself", that I know that I missed some good stuff that I would have retained better. My husband also was in on the lessons, so it was helpful to have someone else picking up the points that I missed. You have to tell yourself that your purpose there is to learn, not to be judged. Also, try not to let your mind dwell on one or two comments and miss the rest. I found myself doing that.

I drove Mary Ruth's stallion last year for one lesson (the one she has long-listed for the 2010 WEG), and I was so nervous about the event, that I know I could have driven better than I did. We used her marathon vehicle, and she was on the back giving pointers. At one point, she got awful quiet back there, so I looked back and SHE HAD STEPPED OFF THE VEHICLE!
default_new_shocked.gif
I went through a small moment of panic, and then was very "with" the horse, just me and him. It gave me time to process and practice what she had said. It was an awesome experience!

Your choice of clothes seems appropriate. Don't forget some hard-soled footwear. Yes, gloves are more proper, but if you are not going to feel comfortable in them, or think that you might fumble with them, just take them along but leave them off. You can learn later how to drive with gloves.

Blinders are actually not required for ADS events, so that shouldn't be a problem. Even so, take them along in case someone changes your mind. It also isn't a bad idea to take other equipment that you might have (longe lines, extra whips, other bits that fit your horse, etc.), because some clinicians may ask you if you have "x". If you left it at the barn, it won't be helpful to you.
default_biggrin.png
Don't go out and buy extra stuff, just take what you have.

Let us know how it goes and what you learned!

Myrna

Hardy is great! You are very lucky!!

Just remember to be calm and relaxed and pay attention to what he is saying.

I can tell you that Hardy will probably ask you why you do not have blinders on, as he is a big propronent of them for broke driving horses. His reasoning is that you can then better use the whip for different signalling, as the horse will not anticipate you. However, he is NOT against them, and if you explain appropriately, no problem! (IE: we are working on moving into blinders, but he is not as comfortable or as safe of a driving horse in blinders, therefore we are currently in open).

Many people drive with gloves, but many people do not. It really probably doesn't matter. I personally prefer wearing gloves, but that's just me and my sensitive hands. Plus, when you do recognized events, you have to do dressage in gloves, so you might as well wear them all the time.

Have fun! Hardy truly enjoys teaching and is good at it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely agree with what MiniHGal has said! We had Hardy here for a clinic a couple of years ago, and he is a master, no question! Enjoy, and learn!! It will be a great experience for you, I'm sure!

Margo

[SIZE=24pt]JEALOUS!!!![/SIZE]
default_worshippy.gif

RhineStone said:
You have to tell yourself that your purpose there is to learn, not to be judged. Also, try not to let your mind dwell on one or two comments and miss the rest. I found myself doing that.
default_yes.gif
That's really what it comes down to. This isn't a competition, it's a chance for you to learn. As long as you don't make a BAD impression that's all that matters!
default_biggrin.png
The most important thing is to make sure your horse is harnessed safely and comfortably and I know you do that so you should be fine.

If you have a chance or a friend to help you, video the lesson or carry an audio recorder. That way you don't have to worry about missing the information that comes after those little gems we all get caught trying to memorize. I've found it tremendously helpful to review that tape later and see what what the trainer saw at the time they told me to do X-Y-Z; sometimes something is hard to see from the driver's seat but obvious to an oberver. I also sit down immediately after my lesson and write out as much as I can remember before it all trickles out my ear.
default_laugh.png

Don't worry about not knowing much about the subject- that's what lessons are for!

Leia

Thanks! I am going to be so nervous, no matter how much I try not to be, but my neighbor will be there to video it. I think Magic will be up to it, we have been doing a lot to keep in condition and his blankets are being washed so I can clip him (luckily it is warm here, so he wont freeze even clipped). L

Good luck at the clinic! I am trying to decide if we are going during the week or on the weekend so maybe we will see you!

I'll be in the AMHA breed booth with horses on Saturday - Helping set up the booth on Wednesday afternoon, don't know what other days I'll be there except Friday for Shopping!

Latest posts

Back