What do men wear for showing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
So, in anticipation of our new guy, my husband has taken much more interest in the horses, and there's some talk of him showing the new guy a little this year. Probably only at fair shows, maybe rated shows later in the year, or next year for sure.

That said, I have no clue what is appropriate for him to wear. I have shown quarter horses in western pleasure, barrel racing, pole bending and showmanship, then my miniature gelding Midas in halter at open shows, and 4H when I was younger.

I pretty much know what I need to be wearing, but im not sure what to get my hubby.

I know the basics that he needs to wear slacks, a long sleeve dress shirt, and a jacket. What I don't know is what color slacks are appropriate for different levels of showing. I've seen khaki and black, and dont know when to wear which color.

Also, I assume he should be wearing a lighter color dress shirt, maybe no darker than blue, am I correct?

He's only interested in showing performance at the moment, but if he was to show in halter, is there a certain color jacket that is more appropriate? What are men expected to be wearing in driving?

and obviously freshly shaven, and a new haircut If im forgetting

Also, please let me know whats appropriate at local fair and open shows, AMHR rated shows, and heck, even nationals, not that we plan on doing that this year.

For halter:

"Cowboy" attire (pressed jeans in a dark blue shade, belt buckle, starched button down, boots, hat, jacket is sometimes worn, after 6 almost always a jacket)

Suit and tie (black/gray suit, tie, button down, generally dark boots or loafers, usually no hat)

For driving I have seen both, except at Regional or Nationals, where I can't recall seeing a gentleman drive in anything except suit & tie, with either a bowler or derby, or even a tux or saddleseat tailcoat.

I've seen every myriad of color shirt and tie at every level, including prints.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go out to our fair every year, its a ton of fun and a nice show to kick back for a week and have "non mini" people come and admire, look at, the horses. All of the attire is western at fairs...probably would be fine w/ jeans and "cowboy..ish" shirt for driving and halter, that is what allot of the people at our fair use..its not highly fancy. Then at actual miniature open unrated shows, they dress allot like one would at an amhr show. I like to see the guys in a nice suit & tie, looks really nice. Then in driving, i think the men look great in a longer suit flowing a bit behind the cart, that looks pretty neat if you ask me.

Basically what Littleun said
default_smile.png

I have seen the fellas wear dress/sport jackets, slacks, dress shirt, tie and boots for halter, a few of them wear cowboy hats and some wear suits. One of the trainers wears pastel jackets, that his trade mark.

Obstacle, hunter, jumper is usually a bit less formal but with vest, dress shirt, tie and slacks or if a jacket it is usually open. Driving is about the same as halter for attire from what I recall.

I can barely remember what I should wear........gee
default_smile.png

I think some of the shades of colors depends on the color of the horse.......much like for women.

When in doubt, ask AL B!
default_smile.png

My hubby wears:

AMHR show: Long sleeve shirt (short sleeve if they relax the drss code), tie, dress pants and boots. Colors can vary, usually a blue, brown, green, gray shirt. He wears black, brown, khaki, or olive green pants. He does wear his western FELT hat sometimes, just depends how hot it is (we are in Texas). A tie to match. Sometimes he does wear a jacket/blazer, but not often at local shows. He does halter classes only. We will dress more casual when we do our Liberty class.

Nationals: Pretty much same as above, but he ALWAYS wears a jacket, except for Liberty.

If he does go through with playing around with showing, it will be a silver dapple horse.

That's easy! Black slacks or jeans with black or gray sport coat......White shirt and if it's an evening class, he can do a tie or not......depending if others are. If it's a driving class, I'd recommend the tie, day OR night.

Wish girls had it so easy!

Just FYI if he is to wear a cowboy hat ~ The hat is to be worn centered on the head with the beam hitting JUST above the eyebrow line about 1/4" and should be just an index finger above ear, and traditionally western is with a cowboy crease.

They should be kept UPSIDE down in a hat box or in a protective hat box.
default_wink.png
To keep their shape.

They should NOT sit sideways on the head.....
default_wacko.png
Seen that ...........

Janice Silvio

Amore' Miniatures

Just a side note, Mike Roseaur usually wears his hat tipped to the side, and does quite well . . . .

But, I don't usually wear hats in halter at all, unless I need it as a baiting tool. I wear black boots, black pants, black jacket with a colored shirt and accenting tie. Usually a green or blue shirt but I may span out on my color choices this year. In showmanship I wear the hat and gloves because they are required.

I wear slacks, sport coat and hat and Cowboy Boots. This is my normal dress for showing. Color will depend on the horse. But my bacics colors are Black, Blue, Grey, and 2 different shades of Brown. As for hats I have 4 different colors Black, Brown Grey and Tan. I always wear a tie also. Depending on which show I might wear colored jeans when driving as my jacket coves it up. The only time I feel that boots are not approiate are in hunter and jumper as you are moving fast and running shoes can avoid a fall.

Toulouse08.jpg

My hubby wears a suit coat...tie...and slacks for shows.....he mixes and matches.....

ROYQUIZWEBthisone.jpg

For Nationals he will wear his good suits and then after 6pm a tux.......sometimes with tails.

MONTYTULSA06.jpg

Latest posts

Back