Made a very difficult decision tonight....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle_E.

Reaction score
This evening my rescue mare of 29 years young got cast in her stall. Luckily I did another check on my horses around 10:00 p.m. and found her down in her stall. This is a mare that never lies down in her stall, never seen her do it in the years she has been here. She does go outside and roll and does have a difficult time getting up sometimes. I guess I don't know my own strenght or I was in a sheer panic but I managed to move her myself and get her up without getting hurt myself in the process. I keep going back out to the barn every 15 minutes to see if she is okay, going to be a long night. She seems alright now with the exception of some minor cuts over her eye which I disinfected and applied an antibiotic cream to, my poor sweet girl. She looks like she has been in a fight! I keep thinking to myself every once in awhile "When is it time???..." "when do you know it's time to let them go...." She is getting up there in years and it's getting much more difficult keeping good weight on this gal, no matter how much feed I give her, she can only eat so much.... So it is with a heavy heart that I truly do think that this coming late fall, that I will help my dear "buddy" cross over the rainbow bridge. I sure hope I am making the right decision but I just can't help but worry that she wouldn't be comfortable going through another harsh winter... (sigh) how do you know when it's time???
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a tough one. I am sure you will know when the time really has come.

From very recent experience, they do tell you. It's really hard when they get old and you have to watch them go through the things they go through. My old mare laid down one day and wouldn't get up. She said it was time. My big boy, the one I lost in Feb., he was doing great, recovering from his injury but that particular morning he could barely stand on his own. He told me he was ready. Hardest decision I've had to make in a long time but I know it was the right one.

Oh Hon,

I feel so sad for you. I know how much you love your "babies". I can't help you with any advice as I haven't been there myself. I feel for you. Being the caretakers of our little friends isn't always the easiest road. I pray that when the times comes that you will know what to do and will be at peace with whatever you choose.

Forgot to mention this is my arabian rescue mare and I have a very BIG soft spot for arabians, since they are very misunderstood by alot of people. I can't explain it, having various breeds in my barn and they each have their unique characteristics and personalities but the arabian is very "human-like", don't know how else to describe it. When they use the expression "living in your tent" kind of personality they truly penned that epxression acurately. I of course talk to my animals, as if they were human and could understand me, and I know they do
default_unsure.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
: especially my arabians that are so "talkative" :bgrin and LOUD, lol. Well hopefully she will have a good summer and I will revisit my decision in early fall and see at that time. I will consult my vet before making this final decision and may speak to Bonnie as well. If it is time, nothing will take away the pain even though it may very well be "time".
default_sad.png
:no:

If it is time, nothing will take away the pain even though it may very well be "time".
default_sad.png
:no:

My heart goes out to you, Danielle. These things are never easy, but I do believe you'll "just know" when the time is right. As much as you'll hate to do it, you're sensitive enough to your mare's feelings to know if life is too hard for her anymore. The "right" thing isn't necessarily an "easy" thing

Hugs to you and your very special mare.

hugs to you, it's hard to do, but if we have the ability to save them from suffering, as hard as it is for us, it's a blessing for them... i was going to suggest talking to Bonnie but you already said it yourself... she has really helped us a lot so far and we are looking forward to more! just remember, the greatest love you can have for your animals is to let them go when they are suffering, and i agree with Shawna (minimule), the mare will tell you, just have an open mind so that you hear her voice and not your own sadness, not wanting to be parted from her.

and never forget, we are here for you if and when you need us
default_wub.png
:

29 yrs is a long wonderful life. I know that feats of great strength come from adreneline and maybe even God and our guides, to move a cast horse alone! Look into her eyes and her soul will tell you if and when she is done with this life. Remember the next is pain free and wonderful. Marty's Micheal has my Treasure all gussied up with ribbons and white as snow, it makes it easier to miss her.

Dani, you have gone the extra mile for that girl and done more for her than anyone else ever has. She's so very grateful to you for it. You let her live out her last years in happiness and dignity and she loves you so much.

Twenty nine is very very old for a horse and things are going inside her and she knows it.

She is going to trust that you allow her to join Michael's Heavenly Stable before she looses her dignity. So, you have to trust yourself, and trust your own judgments. You know her the best. You will know when the time is right, or if it already has arrived. Trust yourself, as she trusts you.

I think you will know when it's time. When you walk to her stall one day and the sparkle isn't in her eyes, and she looks at you and you hear her say "I'm tired, let me go." Then, the time is right - you're doing it for her as the ultimate last loving gesture.

I am so sorry to hear that Danielle, but knowing you as being the loving owner that you are, I also know that you put your horses best interests first, before your emotional feelings, and will do for them, what needs to be done. Wishing you peace, comfort and strength to get you through this when her time comes.

I can't explain it, having various breeds in my barn and they each have their unique characteristics and personalities but the arabian is very "human-like", don't know how else to describe it. When they use the expression "living in your tent" kind of personality they truly penned that epxression acurately. I of course talk to my animals, as if they were human and could understand me, and I know they do
default_unsure.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
: especially my arabians that are so "talkative"
I know exactly what you mean... I have a 24 year young half-Arab gelding, he was my first horse. I now also have AQHA and APHA horses and the minis, but the old guy is definitely different from the rest. [And, so were all the Arabians at the Arabian breeders I used to work for. The are truly unique.]

29 year is a very long life for a horse.....I put my old donkey down at 22....I knew it was time...we had a 'heart to heart' one day...and I just knew the coming winter was going to be very hard on the old girl....that was the first time I've had to make that decision. It sure wasn't easy, but knowing she was warm, happy, and free that winter made things a little better. She will tell you, just listen to her

(((((hugs)))))

~kathryn

I can't explain it either, but you'll know. Remember last year when I was struggling with the decision about my Cushings/IR mare Misty (ironically today is her birthday) -- everyone kept telling me that I would know when it's time. And it's true - she let me know very clearly that it was time to let her go, to help her over to the other side. Trust your heart -- you will know.

Liz R.

I can sense your pain as I read your thoughts. It brought tears to my eyes. It is such a hard decission to consider even when you know what the right choice is. I know, I was there with my most beloved companion dog. I didn't have the backbone to lay her to rest and end her suffering even though I knew I should, I just couldn't, nor could I bring myself to face the thought of it, it just hurt too bad. As others have stated, you will know when the right time comes, her eyes will tell you....(as I fight back the tears thinking about my Jynger and her eyes).....

~Karen

Hi Danielle

I know this is a very difficult decision as I had to put my hackney harness pony Gentleman's King down in Febuary of this year and I bought him at two years of age and showed hin until 21 and he would have been 30 Apr, 26 He was on intervenious for 2 days and then one morning I went out and he look at me and I could see he was telling me "I can't do it any longer" , I called the vet immediately again and he was here in minutes and he went to where only the best of horses can go and I still cry a tear a day for him as he was the best horse I can ever imagine owning and he developed his own group of show friends and they all called when they heard of his death, but I can honestly tell you he let me know when it was time, and I did not let him suffer .

Stick it out Danielle and you know there is much power in faith that you will feel when the time comes you will have more comfort in knowing you have made the right choice.

Pat Sheehy Nova Scotia Hackney Ponies and Miniature Horses

I have been in EXACTLY your shoes, and wanted to say I feel for you. It is such a hard decision to make. The last time I had to make that sort of decision, it was in regards to my 32 year old standardbred. I was also having a heck of a time keeping weight on him, and I was also having to help him up if he went for a roll outside and it was muddy. I talked it over with my vet when she was out for a different horse, and she said she wasn't sure if he was ready, so long as I didn't mind helping him up now and then (it wasn't that terribly hard when he was outside, I'd just put a halter and lead on and pull on him while he tried to get up). The whole time I talked with her about him we were in the pasture with him and watched him as he was grazing. The strange thing was, he then walked by us and turned his head towards us, looking back at us the whole way (can't say I've seen a horse do that much before, walk in one direction while looking behind themselves).

Anyway, I felt HE was telling me at that time that he wasn't quite ready, and the vet said he really must have at least known we were talking about something serious. So I hung in there with him, and I think he enjoyed his last days. Unfortunately he went down in our barn about a month or so later, and try as we could to get him up we couldn't. The only way I could have gotten him up was with a tractor, and I decided that wasn't worth the risk of injury to him. So I made the choice to have the vet come. Justin ate carrots out of my hands until the last. I have to say I still think if I could have gotten him up right away, I think he might have enjoyed living longer. But he was tired, and I think frustrated, that he couldn't get up that day. So I think we made the right choice for him.

It's just never easy. And now I've got 3 other 25 years plus big horses.
default_sad.png

Just wanted to edit this to add that this sounded completely sad - but we really do need to look at how blessed our older horses are when we have to make this decision for them. So many of them - I'd venture to say the majority, don't have someone caring that much for them at the end.

PAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'ts great to see you on the lilbeginnings forum :bgrin :bgrin. Yes, I sure remember "King" when you were living here. He was and will always be very special. He was a sweet boy that one.

Shari seems none the worse for her ordeal the other day and she did go outside this morning and "cantered" after Shafeena into the field, albeit a very slow canter...but this mare can kick up her heels somewhat still. This is why I keep "questioning" as I am not sure.... she doesn't seem to be in any kind of "pain". She shuffles her feet more when walking, BUT if she is in her stall and it's feeding time and I don't feed her first, well she sure can hoof the walls and let me know she isn't impressed with me, lol. I guess it's more the weight loss that has me thinking...and of course the fact that if she does "go down to roll" she has a difficult time getting up.... As I said I will revisit my "decision" in late fall and I know at this point if I can't get her weight back up this summer, than I will for sure consult my vet and Bonnie for some advice.

Sure is GREAT TO SEE YOU HERE PAT!!!! :bgrin :bgrin WELCOME TO THE LILBEGINNINGS FAMILY.

I feel for you Danielle, I have also been there with two older horses. And I know what you mean about the Arabs being special too, my own riding horse who was with us till the age of 30, was an Arab cross who took more after the Arab breeding, and was an amazing animal. I had more of a connection with him, than any other horse I have ever known. He had a lean build all his life, and towards the end keeping any amount of weight on him became such a struggle.

I agree with what the others have said, that when the time comes you will know. They do tell you when they are ready, and difficult as it is to make the decision, you will feel in your heart that it is time, and the right thing. (((hugs)))

Latest posts

Back