Lost my dream colt yesterday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alisha514

Reaction score
This is so hard for me. I have never lost a foal before and to loose this one is devestating. I was looking forward to this baby. Whatever she had I was going to keep. I really wanted a buckskin colt though. He was going to be my new stud. I had big dreams for him.

So anyway this is what happened. Went to feed yesterday morning and when we got there Bahama was not wanting her food. I knew then that something was not right. She loves her food. LOL. Well not long after she started foaling. I thought she would be foaling in a couple of weeks. Was not ready for her to do it then. She was really ready either, she had no milk just clear liquid and her hind end was not totally loose. Right then deep down I knew something was not right. She wanted me in there with her. As soon as I got in and sat by here she started pushing. I seen this bright red bag. Because of this forum I knew it was a red bag delivery. I called the vet right away and got scissors ready. I was at her head but she got up and turned around and had her butt to me, like help me. She started pushing again and out came the baby. I cut the placenta and ripped open the bag and I started clearing out his nose and mouth. Had to hold him upside down to get the fluids out. The vet finally came and we did everything we could. But we came to realize his lungs were not fully developed. He was to early. He stayed alive for about 20-30 mins. His coat was very fine and velvety and his one eye was still sealed shut. I still have no idea why she foaled early. The vet asked if I gave her the phumabort shots. I told him no. I didnt give it to her because I have heard so many say that they make them abort. But now I feel like I could of prevented it if I gave them to her. Still not sure what to do about it. Next time should I give her the shots?

Anyway thank you to this forum for all the information you give. If it was not for you guys I would not have known about the red bag and would not of been prepaired for it.

Here is my little Blue eyed Buckskin Colt. (because Bahama was pasture bred I have no idea how early he really way. She was bred in March and April. I think if he could of waited only 1-2 more weeks he would of been ok and survived.)

babypic.jpg

I am so sorry for your loss. He definately does look premature, and I don't think the 2 weeks would have made a lot of difference. Sometimes we just have to (sadly) accept that things happen the way they do for a reason. Again, I am so sorry.

Oh no - I am so very sorry. When these things happen it is so devastating - and I know how much you wanted this foal. My heart goes out to you during this time - how very sad.

I am the one that almost bought Bahama - ended up with 3 other mares - and remember when you posted about getting her and you were so excited.

Big hugs and I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that Bahama is OK and will go on to give you a beautiful buckskin next year.
default_no.gif
default_sad.png

I am very sorry. He looked beautiful! How is Bahama mama doing? Give her a kiss from me.

I am sooo sorry, I know that doesnt help what happened or what your going through. My prayers and thoughts are with you. The little stud of your dreams will come and this loss will only make him more precious to you. Again, I am soo sorry.

Mendy

Bahama is doing Ok. We let her say goodbye to him. She tried so hard to get him up but she finally realized that he was not going to. She acts like she knows something is not right but shes eating and wanting all the loving we give her. The foaling went easy for her. It was quick and she did it with out any problems. The vet gave her her yearly shots while he was there and a tetnus shot. She is such a sweet heart and she would of made a great mom. I hope god will give her the chance to do it next yr.

Alisha

I am so very sorry for your loss...its so hard to wait all year and have this disappointment...
default_no.gif

I am so sorry for the loss of your foal. My heart just breaks for you and your mare. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Tammie~

I am so sorry. It is so hard to loose a foal. I agree with Mona that he looks premature.

Take care, our thoughts are with you.

I am so sorry for the loss of your little colt, my prayers are with you and his mom.

I'm so sorry this happened.
default_no.gif
He really is premature and although it probably doesn't help any, there really is nothing more you could have done. You tried your best.

I'm glad your mare is doing well. She's a lovely mare and I remember how excited you were to get her! Maybe consider having the vet flush her and do a culture before you breed her for next year.

Bye, bye little baby
default_bye-sad.gif

default_no.gif
my heart goes out to you.I know how it feels to want a foal so bad and loss it. We loss three foals that were aborted this past year.It is very heart breaking after all the long wait.We pray for you mare and your family.keep us posted.

He looks like a nice looking fellow.
default_bye-sad.gif
farwell little fellow

Thank you guys so much for all your thoughts and prayers. The vet did check her out and cleaned her out. He said nothing looked wrong. I guess maybe he was just never ment to be. I will probably have her cultured to make sure shes going to be healthy enough to breed again.

Alisha

Latest posts

Back