Lost filly foal tonight photos of my sweet filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep your chin up Melissa. Life is so full of ups and downs. Surely your luck must change soon. I am SO VERY sorry for your loss. Big hugs for you! Will keep you all in my prayers. You still have your mare to love on so turn all your sorrow into love and try to concentrate on making her better and look forward to next year. HUGS!

Last edited by a moderator:
i posted photos of my sweet filly i lost. i am beating myself up i don't know why i couldn't save her.

i cried so much i can't see straight.she was so precious

the dam is so to miss the foal the vet is coming to check the mare and take the foal.my heart goes out to my mare. i am hurting, but i am not hurting near as much as my poor mare, she is a great mom bless her heart.

she is so sad.
default_no.gif
if anyone needs a surroate dam my mare is willing

i am so heartbroken i don't know if i want to bred anymore. i have had foals for 6 yrs i have lost foals to abort but never one that was being born alive that didn't make it.

the breeder offer to rebreed to keepsake who was my stud for me she is so sweet to offer. i am not sure what i will do. i only have four minis the foal would have been five and a keeper.i feel sorry for others who have been throught this it is very hard to understand. i did everything by the book and more.i just can't understand i have be throught h____ other the last two years. this foal was something positive for a chance that when bad

do anyone know anyone local that needs a mare to care for their foal. i am so worried about her once the foal is taken

fancy is staying right with the foal. she is very sad. the vet is on his way out to recheck her and take the foal. i wish someone was local to give her another foal to care for, she is a great mom.if the vet says she is okay to rebred i might but i am so heartbroken right now not sure at this time.

this same mare first foal is black pinto mia the foal we lost was her second foal.

I love you guys and gals. you all are so sweet. i am so thankful to have lilbeginnings to turn to in time of need

God Bless you all for being here.

keep praying for me and my mare.

i can't thank you all enough for always being here for me and my horses.

thanks again

what causes a foal to not come out right when foaling?

others who have had this happen do you rebred the mares?

I'm so sorry Melissa. I wish I knew why these horrible things sometimes happen. She was a beautiful filly. I hope you mare starts to recover from the loss soon...and she will. These animals are amazingly resilient.

Again, I'm so sorry.

That is so sad and I am very sorry for your loss. Give your mare a big hug and a treat.

Was it hip lock or was the cord too short? I have a mare that has really short cords. I am really worried about her foal this year. I hope you can find a foal that needs a mom. I know my mare will take on another mares foals too. In fact she will steel another's foal if she can. Good luck. And I know it hurts. But, this is not the norm for foaling. You said she would not come out. How much was out when she stopped progressing?

the foal front legs and head. the foal wouldn't out pass the chest area very sad . the mare tried so hard no luck the foal came out to the chest area then nothing
default_no.gif
i had to help the foal the rest of the way out very hard with the vet help

i can't close my eyes without seeing me helping the foal. the bad pictures keep coming over and over in my head very sad
default_no.gif

the vet just call he will be her in a few when he takes her foal she is going to be so heartbroken
default_no.gif

what causes a foal to not come out right when foaling?others who have had this happen do you rebred the mares?
Hi Melissa,

We had one last year out of out mare misty, it was coming out tail first!! He was dead of course. I will be finding out today if the mare was re-bred if so that will make NUMBER 4 Elvis foal!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
It was an accident re-breed but the vets said their would be no problem with her foaling again.

I'm so sorry for your loss. no-sad Sounds like it may have been hip lock. Last year I had a full term colt born...was limp and got him stimulated and started moving around and a couple of gasps but never could get him breathing. Did CPR for half an hour until we lost the heart beat too. It was heartbreaking for me and the mare. The vet thought she had an early placental detachment and it was a large colt and took a few minutes to get him out so he just didn't get enough oxygen. This year she had a lovely silver dapple pinto filly and is such a good mom! Take care of your mare...she needs you now. You'll be doing the "what if" and "if only" for a while. It's natural but non-productive. It happened, it was sad, and you've got to pick yourself up and keep going. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I am so sorry to about the loss of your foal. Breeding minis is definitely not for the faint of heart. Take your time to grieve and hug your sweet little mare and take comfort in knowing you still have her to love. It's so hard sometimes...totally understand where you are at. Will keep you in my thoughts and please don't give up.

I am probably too late with this - your vet may well have already called on you - but I just wanted you to carefully consider removing the foal from your mare. A lot of mares will really get stressed if you take their dead foal away before they are ready to accept the loss. We have always left foals with their mums until the mare actually leaves the foal. We carry the foal daily from stable to field with its mum until eventually the mare leaves the foal and joins her other companions to graze. Some mares will accept the death of a foal within a day or two, but we had one that took 10 days before she finally left to join her friends.

I hope your little mare is recovering well and the vet says that she is all ok. Dont forget to share your grief with her - she needs you so much right now.

Hugs and prayers for both of you.

Anna

So sorry Melissa it is so painful to lose a foal ((((HUGS))))

but thank God your mare is ok (that would be worse)

We lost a beautiful filly last year to hiplock

got her out but not in time, it was our first experience with hiplock

but it does sound like hiplock you had. It makes you feel so helpless

but you can only do all you can do

Its so sad but you have to take the time to grieve

it leaves you stunned and wondering what your doing but

it will pass.

It is the price we pay sometimes for breeding these wonderful horses

your mare will get over it easier than you.

our vet came this morning. the vet took the foal with him. the mare was very upset when he took the foal. she has settle down now. i notice she will til run and look for the filly. this mare is overflow with milk. i hate she don't have a foal she can adopt close by. the vet said my mare is okay thank GOD.The vet said she will be okay to rebred this year. the vet gave her shot to help flush her out. the vet said the filly cord broke while she was still inside her mom.since the foal was half way out the foal couldn't get oxygen in the place she was coming out of the mare. the foal stop at the chest when it was coming out so when the cord broke in the inside of the mare it lost all its oxygen
default_no.gif
. the vet said the legs were not in the right place to come out the cord might have gotten in with legs to cause the cord to break. the vet said she could rebred in 8 days if i wanted isn't that a little soon or what not sure about that. the vet gave my mare the okay. this afternoon she is settle down better,she is with her black pinto daugther who is loves that helps alot.i am so thankful my mare is okay. i am also thank i have her first foal as well. to top it all today. my mare first foal got her shots she didn't want her shots so she rear up and kick me in the face, so now i have two knot and cut down the right side of my face.i like to passed out the vet wouldn't leave because he was worried about me. my vet also call this afternoon worried about my knot and cut. the vet and i were hoping her she has always been good for shots but today she was wild horse. i have never had this happen what a day and night. boy you know i love my animals to go through all this
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
i am not mad at my mare for rearing up it was me for being to tied to pay close to what she was doing.
default_wacko.png

thanks everyone.

when would you rebred if this happen to you?

I am so sorry to read about your loss. It is always so hard to loose one. Each year as a mare gets ready to foal, I have my heart in my throat till the foal is out safely.

Latest posts

Back