Lost a Dwarf Filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greystone

Reaction score
I do a lot of reading here not much writing but I knew ya'll would understand the most. We have been waiting 2 years for a baby here at Greystone Farm. Apparently, when we thought we were getting a baby they just started to think about having one. I tested the girls last August and only one, Ebony, came up positive. Just this Saturday I was asking my old horseman neighbor what he thought. She was rubbing her back end and does look larger than the rest but he asked if I wormed her; maybe she had worms. Well yesterday while I was cooking dinner my daughter yelled out that Ebony has laid down and a white bubble is coming out of her backend. I yelled, "Looks like she is getting ready to get rid of her worm!" We all let dinner sit and ran out to the pasture. I didn't want to upset her so I led out the other girls she was with. Before we knew it a beautiful little brown and white filly was born. First thing my husband and I noticed was the bulg forehead. She couldn't get up; all four ankles turned up. Worst of all her she couldn't keep her tongue in. We dried her off and moved them both to the stables. I was concerned she wouldn't feed but Ebony laid down for her. Right away I was thinking how we could brace her legs and what else we would have to do. Well I guess sometime during the night she crossed the rainbow bridge. Kids we actually very understanding since we discussed last night all the difficulties she might have being a dwarf.

Vet is coming out to see Ebony today and I will set up a gelding for IceMan. It has been a tough spring; we lost a kid from a nanny who had 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so sad all the way around. I bought a mare in foal 4 years ago and also was presented with a dwarf baby he fought like a trooper but we lost him 1 day before he was 3 months old spent over $1000 tryijng to save him and lost him anyway so I can feel your pain. It is just devastating to wait so long and lose them dwarf or not. They just touch you so deeply. ((( HUGS))) to your whole family.

So sorry for your loss--it is so hard to lose a foal! jennifer :saludando:

So very sorry for your loss -- all the way around -- foal, kid and gelding your stallion.

JJay

Oh I'm SO sorry. My thoughts are with you. I know how it is to wait years for your little package to arrive and then have it end in heartbreak. (((((HUGS)))))

Oh! I am so very sorry for your loss. I know how it is to wait and anticipate a new foal I have been waiting for a few years myself and I think I will be waiting again since I do not think that the mare I bred last year is in foal. I am so glad your mare is okay and I am sure your little filly is testing out her news wings by now.

I will be keeping you in my prayers.

Tammie~

I am so sorry for your loss.I have had more than my share of dwarf babies.It is very difficult to see them born with such deformities and even harder when you are the 1 who has to make the decision to put them down.God took your little one so you wouldn't have to decide.It is still very difficult becasue they are usually so sweet and loving.I am sorry for your loss and for your little mare.Talk to her and tell her things were just not right with her baby.My mare seemed to understand.I had her filly put down after I talked to her.I put the baby on the front seat of the truck to come home to our little cemetery.Loaded the mare and turned her out in the pasture and she never looked back.I think she knew.Breeding is not easy.It is so hard to wait all year and then not have a baby.

:no: I am so sorry for your loss.

I hope your mare feels better soon.

You and your mare are in our prayers.
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

I am so sorry to hear of your loss - however, if the baby is still "available' perhaps John from Arion Mngment would be interested in the fetus for his dwarf research that he is doing - from situations like yours will come the answers we are all hoping to find. John is doing a study on dwarfism in miniatures and I believe there is a thread about it at the "pinned" section of the Forum.

My sincere condolences - it is so long to wait and so hard to lose them.

Stacy

I'm really sorry, that had to have been just heartbreaking.
default_sad.png

I am so sorry to hear about this. We had a dwarf born here two years ago. We loved him so much! His name was Bing Cherry.

bing.jpg

We also gelded his sire. Hugs to you and your mare!

I am SO sorry to hear about your loss. I have never lost a foal personally, but it sounds like a horrible thing. I will keep you in my
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back