Looking for the best easy entry and harness out there

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
I am currently looking for a new easy entry type cart and harness out there and just seriously stumped. I want to find something that works for the horse. I am seriously wanting to take the horse's comfort in mind and make the horse more comfortable and enjoyable when he drives. I am even looking at like the smart cart and all them but not sure what too look for. Any advice would be great.

There have been a number of cart threads that have addressed your questions, check the "archives". But to answer your harness concerns, I would look for a carriage or CDE harness, and not a "show" harness if you are interested in comfort. Show harnesses are designed to show off the horse with a minimal amount of leather for a "brief" period of time. Carriage harnesses are more substantial and distribute the weight of the cart and passengers over a greater surface area. I also look for a steel tree in the saddle, with ample padding down the sides and gullet clearance, so there is nothing touching the horse's spine, especially if the horse is older. A good harness will outlast a horse, so plan accordingly. Breeching is required in my book, so the horse is slowing and stopping the vehicle with his big, meaty haunches and not his boney withers, which is what happens with just the use of thimbles or wrap straps. Again, these comments are in regards to the comfort of the horse, not the style trends in the show ring.

The one thing I will say about carts is that the less "springing" system there is, the more the motion of the cart/ground is transferred to the horse and passengers. Small coil springs are inadequate in my opinion.

"Buy quality, cry once."

Well after doing more research I have found the harness I want, its made by Chimacum and its their Sport/CDE harness with the V breastcollar. It will be used for training and fun around the place. Then I'm wanting to get a show harness from Miniexpress.

Still not sure which cart to get. I was looking at the Smart Carts but am afraid those are too big for what I am needing. So far I'm looking at the easy entry from KayJay.

I got a sport harness from Chimicum last Spring (actually 2 sets, ordered Pairs harness with parts to make 2 singles. I really like them, and Janie is great to work with.

When it came a few parts didn't fit right, and she was very accomodating about getting me what I needed (and told me to keep the smaller original parts in case I wanted to use the harness on smaller horses in the future).

Am planning to order an easy entry cart from Sugar Rock Farm before driving season next Spring, it has detachable shafts and you can get a team pole that fits on it. Hoping that will make it TWICE as much fun.

Ginia, please read the current thread on Starting a Pair. It might change your mind on your purchase.

I have a Chimacum harness as well, and like it a lot. The harness came with one of my horses and it fits him well and has roller buckles and lots of adjustments for a good fit. It's a high quality harness.

When looking at an EE cart you have to make sure to get one that is balanced. IMO the carts from the well known tack places - Double Diamond, Ozark, Star Lakes, etc (sorry if I've left anyone out, but those are who I've used in the past) - are well made and well balanced. If you are looking at a home made cart, make sure you can hold the shafts up with one finger were the girth is with 2 people sitting in the cart. If not, it's too heavy for the horse, and too much weight is going on their back.

Ozark and Star Lake both sell CTM carts.

Now that CTM has a wide hub, I would say they are virtually indistinguishable from Frontiier, except that Frontier offers choice of seat color.

These are both outstanding carts. I've gotten to know the folks at CTM, and they are extremely helpful and very interested in any suggestions for improvements and accessories.

Latest posts

Back