Look Who Carries Silver!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharmedMinis

Reaction score
Dona (Kickapoo) was right when she told me last year that my Noah probably carried silver and that he probably got it from his Dam.

Just had this boy tested and he tested heterozygous for silver which could have only come from Mom.

This is MF Charmed I AM Red White And BTU, AKA: Noah

Picture is old, don't have any recent pictures of him, he will be 3 this June.

29150trotstick.JPG

And here's his Mom....

29150J17LizPretty.JPG

He has more silvery mane and tail hairs than my other chesnut/sorrels, and a kind of shiney coat, other than that you wouldn't know he carried silver.

Lindsay,

What a beautiful little boy! :)

And his mom is so cute too!

Susan O.

I'm not surprised at all!
default_smile.png
They are both gorgeous. They just "may" be Silver Bays, too. Their white legs would obscure any dark shading on the lower legs of a Silver Bay. If you see a lot of definite GRAY in the manes (smokey color toward the roots)....that is usually an indicator the manes base color would have been black...making the horse Bay. If the mane is just flaxen or silvery colored...they are probably Silver Chestnuts.
default_yes.gif
:

What a cute boy Linz!
default_yes.gif
:

You know she has always been my favorite of your mares. I love her big eyes and face.

Great bonus I must say- well as far as I ma concerned, anyway, I love Silver!!

I see nothing in either horse to indicate Silver affecting Red, though, sorry.

They are Sabino + Tobiano which does give that "silvery" look to the mane and tail- I have had a number of Arab bred Sabino's that were even lighter and more silvery than that and had no Silver.

We do need to start keeping a log of these horses, I think- maybe I can talk to Sarah on Color Forum and see if we could do that- horses that are Red based and proven Silver- it would be interesting to see the results.

I know of a few that are Red based and Silver that have NO flaxen or "silvery" tones to manes and tails at all- this is the sort of thing we need to chart, though.

The stallion in our avatar has no flaxen or silvery tint any where. Pic is not great but he has sired several silvers when bred to black mares.

Mark

Latest posts

Back