Look what i found in my yard today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw in one your posts that Rebecca is a difficult one to worm. If you can get a liquid Ivermectin? It's much easier to handle, and if necessary you can squirt the dose (I add a little extra) on some grain in a small dish. Yes, they do get the wormer into their system. We've watched and seen the results.

Bless yer heart, Rebecca is getting comfy but mind her ears, she doesn't like them touched but she will come round sooner than you think. And she wasn't abandoned folks, hard times sometimes drive folks to do a last resort. She was "left" with someone who knows horses and loves them...she's a good girl just confused...bless you Stormy.

I totally agree with Rabbitz advice as well. Let authorities know and you dont want someone charging YOU with 'stealing' because you made no effort to report her arrival at your place, no matter how she got there. (Even though I too, feel she was dumped)

Is your yard enclosed? Would someone had to have put her in through a gate? Animal control may have other reports on her from neighbors who possibly complained about a 'starving horse' down the street or something.

Bless you for caring for her, poor thing. I wonder if she doesnt feel good cause of all the worms? Hopefully she doesnt have too much damage from them and will come around quickly. I am sure getting some REAL food is an adjustment to her body too.

Poor girl....I also hope the previous owners never show up, or if they do, just will let you have her. How far are you from anyone else with Minis? Seems odd if she did get loose that she just HAPPENED to show up in your yard, eh? And with a halter on...........

Also photograph everything and yes, keep records of EVERY cent spent on this horse, just in case! Perhaps they wont want to pay up and you can keep her.

Poor little girl. I know there has been some time pass since you put this on, but I just now saw the pictures and article. Did you quarantine her from other horses? Since she hasn't been took care of, she is probably has a lice infestation. You don't want that in your barn. Wash her, clip her, and make sure that any sores are treated. You may have to ask the help of a good vet for this process. The poor little thing is definitely malnourished. She needs a good feeding program, but gently as you don't want her to colic first thing, plus beet pulp will help fill her in. I haven't used it yet, but Calf Manna is suppose to be good too; however, I would slowly introduce these things to her as her system is used to weeds and bark of trees no doubt. I'm sure too that whoever left her had just fallen on hard times and could no longer afford the proper feed. She will be grateful for anything you do. She may also need to have her teeth floated so that it doesn't hurt to eat, this will make a horse very thin also. Floating teeth is so important, and is often overlooked. Good luck and bless you for caring for her needs.

GOD LOVES ALL OF HIS CREATURES!

Luvsminis

if it were me, I'd call the local humane society, no telling how far away they are and let them know. then I'd make a report to the police- this poor thing came to you, wandering out in no-where land, keep the pics and record the upkeep expenses, pictures of her looking better daily. then if these low lifes come to get her back. NO WAY. press charges against them for neglect/ abandonment. take them to court, the mini will be given to the humane society, get your money back from those people and then work with the humane society on finding her a new home. help her for now, but be ready to go legal and then find her a great new home, maybe the humane society can contact a local 4-h club and she can be donated to the club and some lucky kid can use her next year for their project, or maybe a couple kids that cannot afford to buy, but can afford to care for her.

Rebecca is doing amazingly well! She is starting to fill out some, her coat has got a bit of shine to it already, she is liking scratchys and is letting me play with her ears. By her teeth I believe this girl is only 3 or 4 yrs old! Will get some more photos later this week...you will not believe what good food and a little luvin can do!!!

Rebecca is doing amazingly well! She is starting to fill out some, her coat has got a bit of shine to it already, she is liking scratchys and is letting me play with her ears. By her teeth I believe this girl is only 3 or 4 yrs old! Will get some more photos later this week...you will not believe what good food and a little luvin can do!!!
I believe it was fate that brought that little girl to you. She knows someone cares and she is obviously happy now. God Bless you for caring so much. Luvsminis

default_smile.png
default_smile.png

I do believe....Rebecca is a lucky lady, old soul young heart..play it the way you are and she'll be a friend for life.

Yeah, glad to hear she is doing well. And I bet in 30 days wont even look like the same horse!!!!

Thanks for the update - I am so glad to hear she is doing well!!! Good news indeed!!!!

Liz R.

Probably a good idea to protect your own horses from what ever disease/parasites she might be carrying. Document, contact authorities and I really would consult a vet on how to bring her back up to normal weight carefully, since the kind act of feeding a starving horse can actually kill them. (Their gut gets impacted since real motility shuts down).

I really hope she has the good fortune to stay with you. Lord it's hard to see abused minis or any animal for that matter.

Rebecca is doing great! Took her a while to decide to trust us, was very pushy and anxious sometimes but with some work learned to lead politely and let her face, mouth and ears be handled. I found her an excellent home nearby where she is keeping company with a baby Mustang and giving small children rides about the yard. She goes for walks everyday with her new owner and is well loved!

default_wub.png
:wub AWWWW...so glad to here she is well and being loved and cared for!!!! Well done!
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back