Look What I Am Getting For My Birthday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterCountry

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is long...

Hubby was dumb and actually asked me what I wanted for my birthday next month.
default_biggrin.png

He knows this is a lethal question.
default_laugh.png

I always pick something animal related, like something for my horses or a new pet.

Well I got out of the rabbit breeding business in fall and gave away my ducks because small animals were a pain in the butt in winter and I had 40 of them. So I got rid of everything. All the rabbits, my ducks, food, bedding etc. I got rid of all but two cages. Knowing full well that I would at some point need them again. I know my habitual tendencies.
default_wink.png

Last summer I had a white ring necked dove and a fancy pigeon. I loved them, I thought they were neat. I eventually had the dove standing on my finger and letting me pet her. She was awesome. The pigeon beat the daylights out of the dove and eventually I had to separate them or he would kill her. The lack of warmth and the stress of me separating them stressed him out so bad I lost him, he was feet up one day in -25C.

I lost her a few weeks later when she flew away.

I have missed her more than him. He was not as tame as she was and was scared of me, and she always talked to me.

So hubby said I could have two white rock doves for my birthday this year. They will be babies and they are a version of a homing pigeon so they never fly away.

I am so excited! I will take pics when they get here and post them, but this is what they look like when full grown:

rockdove.jpg

How very pretty they are........

Getting them young are they easier to tame?

I think doves are so pretty.....I've been to several

wedding and actually a funeral where they have

been released from a basket..... Breathtaking!

Happy early Birthday!

Very pretty...When I was in high school I used to raise and race homing and fancy pigeons....The fantails were my favorites. I miss them but man were the squab(babies)UGLY when they first hatched!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very pretty...

I sell Longaberger baskets and you can go to where they are made in Ohio and at the close of each day they have this Beautful Big basket that they open up and release the doves! Its such a BEAUTIFUL site to see...

I am going this May so i get to see them again...

How beautiful! I just posted a topic about anyone who owned or owns doves...I just love them =) I am thinking about getting a pair again but not until i'm moved into my own home. Good for you getting a couple, doves are so beautiful and I think they ease stress around the home!

Latest posts

Back