long story

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korinne

Reaction score
Let me start at the beginning. Last Sunday, the 16th I think, our last mare foaled. A gorgeous silver colt with a huge white blaze, he was perfect. He was up a sucking in no time and just a fireball once he figured out how to use those lonnngg legs of his.
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: He did fine until Sunday.

I went out to do chores and noticed that he wasn't very active, but thought it was just the heat. I was gone for a few hours to pick up my son and when I came back, he really looked bad. Just laying in the shade, breathing hard, very lethargic. So I scooped him up and took him into the barn and started cooling him down. I thought he had sun stroke. After a bit he seemed to a bit brighter and got up and nursed and then layed down again. I thought he was just drained from getting too hot so I left him to rest and watched him on the camera.

The next morning, again he looks pathetic, walking behind his mamma with his head dragging, the bit of weight he had gained in the week after his birth was gone...just little bony hips sticking out. And I noticed he was drinking tonnes of water. I ran to the house to call a vet that knows a fair bit about minis and they said get him in here or he won't make the day. We were expecting another heat wave. So my husband loaded him and mamma and off they went. He was assessed at the clinic, his temp was 42 degrees :new_shocked: , and they got straight to work. They put in a shunt to mainline meds, and started cooling him down again. His temp did drop one degree throughout the day. I called the clinic when I got home from work and they said that he seemed a bit brighter and was nursing frequently. I took that to be a good sign so I said that I would come and see him today. Well, I went today and he looks absolutely pathetic. Just so skinny and very lethargic. I did see him nurse, but he is still drinking a tonne of water.And he has this big water belly on him.

What is up with that???? It is not normal for a 9 day old foal to drink so much water is it?? The vet says he has a severe pneumonia and that he sounded very congested yesterday but not really snarlly sounding today. Does anyone know have suggestions of what other tests the vet could run to rule out other problems he may be facing? His kidney function is fine and he is passing stools. I have a bad feeling about this one. I dont see a spark in his eye at all.

Please if you guys could include him on your prayer list I would sure appreciate it. His name is WindyRivers Feel the Thunder, but we just call him Thunder. Thanks

Did they run an IGg on him to check his immune system? If that is low he needs plasma or he will die. At this age that will be the only way to get antibodies into his system. Should have gotten it from the first milk, but sometimes that doesn't happen and if you don't test for it, you can lose your babies. Doesn't happen often, but the test is fairly cheap. We run it ourselves on every foal we have.

Just a thought, I am not a vet of course, just sharing a lesson learned early in my breeding days. Foal was wonderful and bright, then lethargic then dead.

My prayers for the little one, the mama and you. I sure hope there is improvement soon.

Korinne,

Gosh I feel so bad for the poor little guy and for you and his Momma! I will definitely keep all of you in my prayers and extra special prayers for your precious little "WindyRivers Feel the Thunder."

Oh, poor baby Thunder! :eek:

I agree with sfmini-- hopefully your vets have run an IGg test on him. Also, I'm wondering about that water intake--- no that is NOT normal! Can you talk to your vets about raising the water bucket for your mare so that Thunder can't reach it? He should be nursing, not drinking water, no nutrients for him in that. There is such a thing as "water poisoning" which is too much water in the system, and it can kill.

Sending prayers for Thunder, I hope they find out what is wrong with him and get him better, asap!

Oh, poor baby Thunder! :eek:

I agree with sfmini-- hopefully your vets have run an IGg test on him. Also, I'm wondering about that water intake--- no that is NOT normal! Can you talk to your vets about raising the water bucket for your mare so that Thunder can't reach it? He should be nursing, not drinking water, no nutrients for him in that. There is such a thing as "water poisoning" which is too much water in the system, and it can kill.

Sending prayers for Thunder, I hope they find out what is wrong with him and get him better, asap!

I agree with the others about the IGg, but I am also thinking ULCERS....We had one die from a misdiagnosed ulcer once and I would feel terrible if I didn't bring it up. The water intake can be indicative of ulcers! Good luck, and I will keep your little one in my prayers. Please update us when you can.

Jodi

It does sound like pneumonia. They get sick and very lethargic, not sure about the water intake though. Another thing thet could and should check for is roddocaucus (sp) I had one come down with that this year and took a long time to get him better. Good luck. Prayers coming your way.

Ginny StP

UPDATE TUESDAY 07/25 630PM

I just spoke with the vet caring for Thunder. Thunder took another turn for the worse this afternoon. His temp went wayyyy up and he became very unresponsive. They IVed 1000 mls of fluid into him and also gave him an energy shot??can't remember the name of it, along with a painkiller and another huge dose of antibiotics. He responded well to that and when they removed the IV he passed a huge amount of liquid stool. The vet said there was a bit of blood in the stool. But the big water belly I was concerned about this morning has all but gone he said and Thunder does seem a bit brighter

. So for tonight he is stable but still very sick and he will be reassessed in the morning. I will be going to see him after work tomorrow so will update more then. I did mention the possibility of Thunder having ulcers and he is 100 percent sure that ulcers is not causing his problems.

Please remember to pray for Thunder tonight...he has a long road ahead.

PLenty of prayers from here, listen up little Thunder! Get well soon so you can run and play in the sunshine.

Maxine

I too would want a IG Test done, and I would ask about ulcer meds. Also wondering

on that much water intake? Do you have a SALT OR MINERAL BLOCK IN THEIR STALL???

I ask, we had this with two babies last year, they would lick on the salt then drink water.

They developed Dirrhea really bad, and we fought it for 2 months. I had to re-teach the

filly Princesa to nurse. We tied the water buckets up so they could not reach them. They

were put also on ulcer meds, as with too much water they developed ulcers.

I will be keeping Thunder in my prayers, please let us know how he is doing. It is so

scary when they are hurt or sick. Prayers for baby Thunder

Vicky

Continued prayers for little Thunder. I'm sorry he's so sick, I hope they get it figured out soon.

Jodi

I hope your little boy bounces out of this soon. I had a colt with pnemonia last year but fortunately we caught it early and he responded very quickly to treatment. However, he did drink a lot of water while he was the sickest.

Latest posts

Back