Locked stifle surgery

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynamic8999

Reaction score
Hi I have a mini that has a locked stifle problem. My vet says that the only option is surgery and assures me that it isn't a big deal. Well anything involving surgery is a big deal to me! So was looking to hear from anyone that has had the surgery done on their minis. Has the result been good or bad?

I have had three done over the years, the surgery is very minor, the horse only recieves a local injection for pain, does not need to be out for it. The incision is about an inch or less, one staple or stitch to close after. All have been successful including one gelding were the leg was permanantly locked in the extended position and had been for a long time when I brought him home.

I had a colt done and he came out fine. It sure is the answer to the problem. The surgery is miner.

Joyce

We had a gelding done years ago and it was minor surgery even back then..........Local pain injection only, and only a couple of stitches. Stormy described it pretty well......

MA

I had two legs done on a three year old mare. She is now five and runs like the wind and walks normallly. Before the surgery she could run but could not walk without them locking just about every step. She is a much loved pet and will never be bred.

There have been several very good threads in this issue recently, you can do a search to find them and read up on some more detailed accounts of the various surgeries. There ARE options, and some things you can try before getting surgery.

How minor the surgery is also depends on where you have it done. My vet hospital did xrays, laid the horse out under sterile conditions and used ultrasound to guide the knife and it was quite expensive. There is stall rest involved along with some rehab so you've got to be willing to help your little guy get better.

Do a search, I think you'll find some good information!

Leia

Back