Little's or Big's? (A size or B)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkoffaith

Reaction score
I am just starting my registered herd and have to decide what size I want to concentrate on. My stallion is 33.5 and by far my smallest mini. I have always had unregistered larger sized minis and thought that they were probably more versatile. However since my stallion has been here I can't get over how much I love how small he is. I am now really thinking about the A size minis. Can you please tell me about why you like the height's of your horses and what the plusses and minus's are of the different height groups. Thank you all so much for your help.

I really like both sizes.

For my breeding horses, I prefer A's and all are 34" or under except for one loud bay leopard mare (how could I resist?). I do own one arab grey filly who is AMHR and AMHA but may out grow her A's. The other 7 mares are A size. See our mares and fillies here: Mares of Whinny For Me Farm

My stallions are 32" and 31". They are both AMHR National Top 10 horses in halter and AMHA Honor Roll horses in Halter. One hasn't shown a lot, but still did that well, the other has shown a lot and has many grand champion wins in both registries (and thanks to Larry Parnell, is driving this season, too). See our stallions here: Stallions of Whinny For Me Farm

But, for geldings, I actually prefer B's or at least 32"+ A's. The size makes them a little more versatile and I love the looks. That said... I own just one B size gelding and the other four are A size. See our geldings here: Geldings of Whinny For Me Farm

If it came down to only being able to keep ONE of my 17 beloved miniatures, I'd choose to keep my B show gelding, Little Kings BT Bacardi Gold. He has so much heart, which I think comes from his sire, BTU.

Anyway, compared to my two riding horses, none of the minis ae "big"
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
And thanks to the minis, I'm not sure it's actually fair to still call my riding horses "riding" horses as I rarely do it in favor of doing the many mini things I love
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a B lover for life and prefer them 35.5" to 37". I like the length of leg on the taller ones and they seem to have flashier, more fluid movement than the smaller ones. All the small ones tend to seem pudgy and dwarfy to me. I probably just haven't been around enough NICE, small ones. I won't be changing my mind any time soon though.

I prefer the 33"-36" mares.. I'm not a big fan of the araby looking minis, I love the stock type looking ones.. Plus with the bigger ones, especially with breeding, I feel the mares have more body capacity and hip width compared to the smaller and more refined gals.. Some of those tiny ones look like babies themselves and I can't visually picture putting them through carrying/delivering a foal, they look to tiny and fragile for me.. But of course, JMO

When purchasing horses, you should figure out what YOU like. If you are trying to breed to resell, consider what is popular, particularly in your area.

Personally, I feel a stallion should be double-registered to increase his abilities to create register-able foals. I feel a stallion should be either ASPC/AMHR or AMHA/AMHR. To only have a single-registered stallion in this market is more difficult. If you have an AMHA/AMHR stallion you can breed either As OR Bs. Maybe get a couple AMHA/AMHR mares and a couple B sized AMHR mares and see what produces better with your stallion and what you like better. Take it slow, stay small until you really pinpoint what you like. Most breeders evolve as they go, and it is easier to evolve with less horses and you will save a lot of money that way!

That said, I admire a BIG moving horse, so I have always liked the Bs for their elegant movement. I have gotten even taller lately with the modern ASPC horses though, which are even MORE big-moving than the B minis! Every person has their own taste depending on what they like to look at and what they like to do with them.

Andrea

default_smile.png
we love both amha and amhr mares. We have minis from 29-36.50. It just depends on what you are planning to use them for. We started with a's only, but alot of folks like the b's.

good luck.

I appreciate all sizes, as long as they are in proportion for their height........

That said -- We have two different breeding programs. We started out 17 years ago with the "A" size, the smaller the better. But now, our "A" size is about 32 up to 34".

About 10 years ago we discovered the taller mini/ponies.....specifically the Arenosa Classic Shetlands. We are in love with the longer leg, wonderful movement, smooth lines, long necks, and chiselled heads. The heights can range from 34 to 38" (some Arenosas do go over too), but on average we like around 36".

There are reasons for ALL heights and types of "minis", so why limit yourself?
default_wink.png
:

MA

(sorry - typo)

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I really like the B-size minis. Mostly because I'm nearly 6' tall, and the little ones are just too hard on my back. :eek: :bgrin My stallion is currently A/R registered, but I think he may go over his A papers, we'll see.

I think someone up above said to get what YOU like! And that's exactly right in my book. What do you want to see in your pasture every day? What appeals to you? And what do you want to do with your miniatures?

For me, it was easy. If I was going to have a miniature something I sure didn't want the biggest! I wanted the smallest. That's what we've been working towards. That's what I enjoy seeing every day and handling every day. My little foals weigh around 8-12 pounds at birth and we can pick them up and carry them around. I get a BIG kick out of taking the tiny ones out in the show ring and kicking some major hind end!

We just got word that one tiny Cowboy daughter is placing right at the top of big classes of yearlings up to 30"! Go little Wings!

But if I never went to a show again...I just ENJOY my little ones! They are so beautiful in the pasture. So sweet when I have time to sit and visit. And my favorite time is evenings when everyone is tucked into their stall munching hay....I love listening to the contented munching.
default_wub.png
:

So take your time and figure out what it is you would enjoy most...then go for it!

Charlotte

Hey, personally I like them from 32"-38" Right now the smallest I have is 30" tall, and tallest is 38" but if I had to pick from any size, I would say 35-38" I love the taller ones, look much more "horsey" to me ...just my opion.. :saludando:

I had B mares a few years ago, I really did not like their size, they were both 38". I then got a few As and enjoyed them a little more. I had more people wanting to look at them and talk about them. I had a 32" stud that was a very stocky guy, who pulled a cart very well. My smallest back then was my 30.5" mare who was A/R reg.

Now I am still liking the smaller ones better, as they do get more attention down here. I took my 29" yearling filly to a grand opening a few weeks ago, and had TONS of people amazed by her. My smallest right now is my 28" appaloosa stud, and my tallest is my 33" Appaloosa mare. I perfer them not to be over 34". And I do like for them to be at least AMHA reg, if not both A and R. I do have one filly right now that is between 29-30" who is just R reg., and if I keep her, I will get her hardshipped into AMHA in a few years, as she has some nice bloodlines, and is very refined.

I love the taller Bs for their long legs and overall proportionsand the fact that I can look them in the eye (even if they make me look short and dumpy

However, I see more and more A minis with the proportions I love. Liz's (Nootka) colt Pyro is a great example -- he has legs that never quit, a long neck, and a gorgeous, small head.

What it really comes down to is that I love a mini that is refined and balanced, an overall gorgeous little horse.

i love my b size driving horses

its hard to match the power and action of a 37+ inch horse

my a size driving horses just don't have it

For me, I wanted 'miniature' horses when I purchased my first one in 1989. Having come from full size (Arabian) horses, I wanted something small. 34" and under horses were what appealed to me and continue to do so.

I expanded my desire for these little horses in 1998 to ones with the wildest, loudest color patterns. I've continued that goal of breeding small, wildly patterned horses. They are what I like looking at in my pastures.
default_smile.png

I also wanted to add that bloodlines are not as important to me as overall quality and type. I breed what I want to 'see' in my pasture! And they have proven that they can and do win in the show ring! :aktion033:

i like them all. my smallest is 30" and my biggest is 46" And i have everything in between lol

Like Becky & Charlotte, I adore the tiny ones!!!!
default_wub.png
:

When I started with minis it was all 28" & unders......those are still my favorites and I am proud to have a pretty nice group of them. I used the same criteria for selection as I did for my full sized horses.

That said, I do have a handful of R sized and while they are VERY nice mares, I just don't have a close feeling for them. Back to my "miniature" horses need to be small thinking. So, it is really just what appeals to you personally. And tiny is my own favorite.

I have never seen a horse I didn't like!
default_wink.png
: You know, some of the reason that I only admire the B's and not want to own more is that I often think "wow, a tiny bit bigger and I could ride you". That makes me think that I should buy a few more riding horses, and then I'm looking at how far down it is from up there...
default_wacko.png
: :eek: I don't have TIME to ride :eek:
default_wub.png
:

I like them bigger because I like to drive. My sr stallion is just under 34 and all my mares are 34-38. I prefer the double registered aspc amhr but I do have some high percentage shetland mini only horses. I prefer the more upheaded more refined look with driveability and since I am a heavy person I dont think the bigs have to work as hard to pull me.

Also, I have gotten more money for my bigs than my littles that I have sold.

Lyn

Well i could never decide which one i liked best. Then i said, why do i only have to pick one? If i like both then i am going to do both. If i am going to put $$$$$ into my horses then i think i should atleast be happy with what i have out in the barn lol.

I have chosen to focus on 30'' & Under horses AND 35''-38'' B horses. I really do not like the ones that are in between for some reason, the 31''-34'' just never appealed to me however i do one have that is 31.5'' bc he was my first horse and back then size didnt exactly matter. Now that i am trying to put together a breeding program ext i have become kind of picky lol. My smallest horse here is 28.5'' and my largest is 37.50'' foundation shetland.

Now ..i think my first love would have to be the american shetlands though. I have to say, if i had to choose one to continue with between minis/shetlands it would prob be shetlands, but there is reasons why i've chosen to focus on the minis, just a bigger market. I think that is why i like the B's to, the are bigger.

As long as my horses have allot of action, good hips, size i want, pretty heads/necks, level toplines, high tailsets and of course the conformation i am happy, not to mention attitude to spare
default_smile.png

I cant explaine why i like both the little's and the biggies ....i just do lol.

Latest posts

Back