Little's or Big's? (A size or B)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are 33 1/2" to 35" tall. Prefer them in the range of 34" to 37" tall since I like to drive.

But I did come across a 27" tall one...that is just adorable. Normally I would not even look at one that smalll..but there was just something about that little one. Sure could not drive her...way too small...but she was cute.

So it just depends on what you want to do!

I have a 29-30 in gelding who I LOVE and wouldnt part with for anything he is a wonderful little all around horse with tons of heart. He halters, jumps, halter obstacle and is a kick butt liberty horse I guess truth be told if I could end up with a herd of little ones like that I WOULD LOVE IT however I don't always see little ones that I like as much as him.

I also LOVE my B horses the taller the better 36-38 in range. Despite what others say they are truly miniature to me (of course for me when I had my riding horses and worked for a show barn a small horse was 16.0 with our avg being 17.0 hands)

Bottom line I have learned over the years you have to breed what you love to look at and a good horse comes in every size from tiny to 18+ hands!

I love a range and have always had A's and B's. I prefer the taller miniatures for driving, but have no problem showing the smaller size for other performance classes and halter. One of my best obstacle and jumping horses was a 28.5" gelding.

Kim

I personally prefer the little ones and have no clue why. but, slowly I am getting more "into" driving so I'm kind of leaning toward the medium sized ones. I got attatched to the little ones becuase Kid is 31 inches tall and my favorite horse of all time.

I really like both sizes... but I have chosen, so far, to stick with the 'large A' size. I like them smallish, but dont want them TOO small. I like the driving and performance aspect of things, so try to stick with something from 31 to 34 or so. All my horses are double registered.

However, I would not worry so much about size as I would conformation, correctness, disposition and ability. My neighbors have A and B horses of every size type and color. I have a much smaller place though so must limit myself on what I own (I work full time too) so choose to stick with 'both markets' for A and B- twice the fun you know! LOL
default_wink.png
:

I have a 33.5 stallion and am working on purchasing a mare that is definitly a taller girl. I think the tinys are adorable and love Jen at Haricanes stallion McCoy. But I very much prefer 33 and over. They are more versatile to me and can do what I want. I have people comment on my stallions movement when I get good working shots of him because he moves so much like a warmblood. I do like them all though so to me it just depends on the horse, its athleticism, movement, conformation an temperment.

A's for me. The smaller the better. They have more of a cuteness factor. I'm a sucker for 'cute'.
default_wacko.png
:

The answer to your question is really personal choice, whatever you like best and are comfortable with.

Personally, I am a "A" person and the smaller the mini the better. My favorites are the 21" and smaller, to me they are a Minaiture Horse. Over 34" they don't seem miniature to me any more. JMO.

Joyce

Very interesting thread!

I personally prefer the smaller ones. We breed for 30" or less and try very hard to get them proportional, although I'll be the first to admit that isn't alway possible. Our main herdsire is 27.5" and my experience so far (we've only been showing him this year) he is able to hold his own against the 33-34" stallions. But I don't think that's always the case. And I should mention we only show halter at this point. I do believe that the taller ones are better for the performance classes for obvious reasons. We have one stallion that is 31.5" and he will be sent to a trainer for driving later this summer. We'll see how that goes.

We only purchase double registered stock.

I love all horses of all sizes and colors, but we choose to raise primarily 34” and under AMHA/AMHR registered miniature appaloosas. You should raise what you love and love what you raise.

Dawn :saludando:

My minis range from a 28" stallion to a 38" gelding, with lots of sizes in between ;) Most of mine are around 32". I don't really have a size preference, but I prefer mine to be double registered so that means A sized.

Jessi

We have been mostly A size for a long time but we are getting more B sized horses and they seem more versatile. I like my horses from 32 to 33 inches..can be driven, etc and have nice long legs. I have some under 30 but they are well proportioned - I don't like dwarfy horse looks. I love to see a long fluid trot no matter what the size. I really love my B sized geldings and the bigger mares now too. It is whatever you like the most that counts.

Latest posts

Back