Little Miracles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
I posted this on my Facebook page and thought I'd share it with you all
default_smile.png

I've witnessed many miracles. From my sister, who is suffering from ALS and beat H1N1 last fall. To my little filly successfully battling PHF
default_smile.png
I was privileged, yesterday, to revive a beautiful wild animal. I am still in awe. And today I still get to admire her while she feeds from our feeder; now she can get to Mexico for the winter. See you there, pretty little angel.

"Kev found a hummingbird on the floor of the shop. She must have been stuck in there all night
default_sad.png
Hummingbirds need to feed very often (at least every 30 minutes, I think). Breaths were about one every 10 seconds. He thought it was ...dead. I picked her up and she gave a chirp. Not dead
default_biggrin.png
default_smile.png
, but very dehydrated and very close to death. She couldn't even open her eyes. I went and got some sugar water and a syringe. I brought the little one in the house and just put a droplet of the sugar water on the end of her beak. It took about 5 mins., but all of a sudden she sucked it up. I wish I had taped this. Slowly, over a half hour or so, she came to life! About 6 drops later, she opened her beautiful black eyes. She started breathing a lot more. Her heart rate picked up. Then she stuck her beak in the syringe and her long tongue started sucking up that life-giving fluid. She then fluttered her wings. A little more sugar water and she tried to fly; she landed on the kitchen floor. I, then, took her outside (I didn't want to try to catch a hummingbird in my house). I sat on the deck with her and talked to her and stroked her tiny head. I held the syringe in front of her and she drank voraciously. She stopped for about 30 seconds and then drank about five times more like that. She transformed. She turned from this near dead being to this gorgeous little green-backed angel in my hands. She grasped my left middle finger. She looked up at me for the first time and stretched out. I knew she was ready. She lifted off my hand and did a little swirl and made two happy chirps (I think they were also thank you's) and flew over the house. I sat there laughing and tears were streaming down my face. I saw her about 20 mins. later feeding at our feeder (I knew it was her because she was sitting and drinking and still gaining her strength). One of the most rewarding, miraculous things I have ever seen and experienced in my life. Thanks little one
default_smile.png

DSCF0094-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you are sharing this elsewhere, Matt.... It's such a wonderful story.
default_wub.png

It also teaches us something. Who knows when one of us will have to help a little hummer in the future?

That brought tears to my eyes Matt. What an outstanding individual you are to care for that lucky little hummer. Your emotion came through loud and clear in your description of your attempts to save her life.

Great Job!

Beautiful, beautiful story - thanks for sharing
default_yes.gif

Anna

Bravo! What a great thing you did!!!
aktion033.gif
wub.gif

Thanks guys. I really wish Kev had recorded it (he was hard at work, as usual).

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back