Little Church Minis has a new horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnbum

Reaction score
Our first gelding... you may recognize him.
default_smile.png

Jazz1_Barnbumedit.jpg

Jazzface.jpg

Jazztheman.jpg

Yes, as of today, Jazz has joined geldinghood.

There are many reasons for the decision:

I've decided there are many minis in the world and I don't need to contribute more.

It's hard my heart to worry about finding perfect homes for the wee ones.

It's hard to be on mare stare and go to work, leaving the watching to helpers.

I want to focus more on training and working horses.

And community service--and therapy horses.

My number 5 and 6 foals are on the way, and I've gotten more nervous about something happening to my mares.

And should all go well for this third foaling year--having had 6 healthy ones is a blessing for sure.

I didn't want to sell this awesome horse--he's so much fun to have around.
default_wub.png

I didn't feel it was fair at all to this social boy to be pastured alone until I decided it was time for more foals.
default_wub.png

So... for now, we're done breeding. The 2009 foals will be our last. Doesn't seem to be a big deal when we only had two every other year, I know, but it was a big deal to me.
default_smile.png
Maybe in years to come, when I'm retired...that's about 12 years away. A lot can happen by then.
default_wink.png

The gelding procedure went well. Two vets were here--they say they like teaming up for it because they feel it's safer. They were awesome. They did say it's 60 days before Jazz can go in with mares. It said 30 on a site I checked... but I'd like to know what other vets have said. I trust mine and will wait the 60, but am curious. I had it in my head it was 2 weeks.. but that's not right.
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for reading about our new direction.
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Karla,

Glad it all went well with Jazz! He's such a neat horse and pretty boy!
default_wub.png
And, not that you care or need my approval
default_rolleyes.gif
but all your reasons make perfect sense. I wish you health and beauty with the two you're expecting for 2009!!
default_saludando.gif

Congratulations!! Im so happy for you and Jazz. I know this must have been a really hard decision. He will have so much fun though being in with mares and not have to be alone.

My vet says 30 days. Probably yours are being really cautious with 60 but I dont blame them. Years ago I had one gelded and about 40 days later he actually bred a mare
default_wacko.png
I was shocked as I thought well you know that they couldnt do the deed. Thankfully he was shooting blanks
default_smile.png

Our vet said 30 days for the stud to go out with the mares. Congratulations on the "new" gelding!

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW HORSE
default_wink.png

Boy that was a big decision, so glad everything worked out for you and Jazz

Love this picture of him. now he will even be better...

Jazz1_Barnbumedit.jpg

Congratulations on your "new" gelding!
default_laugh.png
I sometimes wonder if I'm cut out for the breeding/selling business too...for all the reasons you listed. I may end up doing the same thing you are down the road. I'm sure Jazz will make a wonderful gelding.
default_wub.png

I never put a fresh gelding out with mares for 60-90 days. Longer the older they are.

A friend of mine gelded her stallion and she ended up having a foal from her gelding from her dead mare.

AQHA (Quarter Horse) would declare horses automatically dead after a certain age and the mare had reached that age and was completely healthy but my friend had not updated AQHA with the fact the mare was still alive not realizing they did that.

And so her gelding and her dead mare had a foal.

He had been gelded for 43 days when the "Accident" occured.

I wish there were more people like you Karla.
default_wub.png
Too many horses, not enough homes.

Jazz is a special guy, he's going to love his new life!

Oh Karla, I'm SO happy for you and Jazz! It IS well worth it! I wish more would do it
default_yes.gif
Congrats!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

I've had 2 done by different vets and I've been told 60 days each time.

Oh hes going to be an amazing gelding!!
default_wub.png

Best of luck with your 2009 foals!

Jazzman!!!

Buck says welcome to the club!
default_smile.png

I vote for a party for Jazz the day he gets to join the herd full time...I am going to send him a present on that day
default_smile.png

You are going to enjoy him now more than ever!!!
default_smile.png

Angie

I never put a fresh gelding out with mares for 60-90 days. Longer the older they are.
A friend of mine gelded her stallion and she ended up having a foal from her gelding from her dead mare.

AQHA (Quarter Horse) would declare horses automatically dead after a certain age and the mare had reached that age and was completely healthy but my friend had not updated AQHA with the fact the mare was still alive not realizing they did that.

And so her gelding and her dead mare had a foal.

He had been gelded for 43 days when the "Accident" occured.

LOL - this is one of the funniest things I've ever heard! Thanks for sharing!

I am planning a gelding party soon also - Trying to get hubby to allow "His" boy to get gelded, but no luck yet. So that just leaves me with 3 to geld. Don't need 6 stallions!!

Karla,

What a gorgeous gorgeous guy your Jazz has always been and still is! :)

It will be fun to hear about all you are doing with your minis and to see where you are 12 years from now also! :)

Susan O.

I gelded a 2 year old - had waited as he had a severe injury - and finally threw him out with my mares as a 4 year old. No resulting pregnancies of course, but he proceeded to actually breed a mare before I could yank him back out! Give him all the time he needs
default_smile.png
, and enjoy your new gelding.

Jan

YAY! That is a wonderful thing to do. I felt awefully guilty for doing that to my 6 year old stallion after he had given me and others some wonderful babies. BUT he was never a studdy guy and he will be happy with horses to hang out with.

Yesterday was the first day he went out with a mare. And he was ignoring her, she was bugging him. You will enjoy him more and not have to worry about escaping stallions getting where they are not supposed to be!

Well I will be a bit different and will say I have been told a month for every year old they are.

Yeah for Jazz! He is such a fine speciman of a man-he will be the same or better as a gelding..

Congrats...

Latest posts

Back