Lily's Foal Watch

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okay guys how often should she be pooping? She seems fine running and playing but I havent seen any poop from her today? Moms being a little mean today as well. I noticed her biting back at the baby while it was trying to nurse

Not sure but I'm interested to hear the answer...

Where are the pictures????! Haha
default_smile.png

Okay heres pictures of the 5 day old Harmony
default_smile.png
Shes walking a little funny on her left rear leg today but Im thinking shes pulled something doing all the running she has been doing. I had the farrier out tuesday to check legs and hoofs everything looked great to him then so she had to of pulled a muscle. It doesnt seem bad shes just got a slight limp on it this afternoon

024.jpg
019.jpg
012-4.jpg
013-2.jpg

Once a foal is pooping normally it is often quite difficut to find/see these small poops amongst the bedding or outside in the grass, and as long as she seems fine, healthy and full of life, then I wouldn't worry.

And most mares bite their baby's backsides when they are suckling - I always think they are trying to tell the baby to be more gentle! LOL!!

Thank you for the pictures - she is such a gorgeous little girl!!

I'm sure her leg will be fine in a day or two. I know we are all governed by the weather, but I always say to give foals (and their Momma's of course) as large space as you can give them to run around in. Foals are extremely active and all their strength and development is tied in with space and being able to run. In a small space, the foal has to keep skidding to a halt at the fence or twisting away from it and they can strain under-developed muscles and tendons from this.

I hope you have a great weekend away - dont forget to take your camera.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been leaving them most of the day out in the front.....where harmony tends to run, run and run.....at full speed. Drives Lily insane. LOL She does all these little bounces and jumps inbetween the running. I didnt notice it this morning at all. But I did this afternoon. I read the post about the joint infection yesterday so when I seen her limp that was my first thought. I wont be here this weekend but have my friend staying here and she has been told if it gets worse to call the vet out. Hopefully she"ll be fine....she acts fine loves running around like a wild thing all the time.

default_smile.png
She is fast too I didnt think that little baby would be able to run like that but she loves it
default_smile.png

ok so I went out to further investigate the leg thing...I held one hand on both back legs in the same areas I dont feel any heat or swelling....Im going to give the sitter strict instructions to call a vet if she starts acting tired and bring up the joint ill. im paranoid lol

A racehorse describes her best. Nothing stops her. She darts all over the place. Lily yells for her and she keeps running. Just like a kid! Shes actually mad at me tonight because I wouldnt let her back out....I want her to rest that leg some to see if it improves. The sitter will be staying here over the weekend and will let them out front for several hours during the day while Im gone. Shes a nursing fool to.....she loves her milk
default_smile.png

I read the symptoms so I wrote down what the sitter should look for....my main thing is if it looks like its getting worse....she starts sleeping more and not as active when turned loose and if her nursing slows down. I think those will be the main signs....mainly the running around if that stops then houston we have a problem!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so Im back home and Lily and Harmony are doing great, I dont see any limping anymore
default_smile.png
huge relief there! Shes running around like a crazy horse. Shes figured out the routine for going back in the pen so now I have to catch her and carry her in...she wont follow mom in anymore. Smart girl
default_smile.png
ill get pictures tomorrow for you guys to see.

Okay Here are updated pictures of Harmony. She is 10 days old already...wow seems liek she was just born yesterday. She is by no means a follow mommy baby...mommy has to folllow her
default_smile.png
she runs wild like a racehorse through the yard.

0523121645a.jpg
035.jpg
032.jpg
020.jpg
021.jpg

forgot to mention Lily is all healed up. No discharge or any issues from all the tears. Farrier came back out today and trimmed Harmonys back hooves just a tiny bit cause they were just a bit long. Lily is a great mom with lots of patience.

Harmony is beautiful! I love her markings- Maybel has a lot less white on her! They are only 10 days apart!
default_smile.png

Mary didnt hold out long for you and she waited til I was back from my trip! We are going to have 2 spoiled little fillys!

Oh thank you for the pictures - Harmony is just gorgeous and Lily is looking great too.
default_yes.gif

What a beautiful little girl congratulations

I'm so glad lily is doing better

I missed your birth announcement and Lilys problem

but I'm glad I got here to see your pretty new girl

Lily and Harmony are doing wonderful. Ill try and get pictures this weekend now that the rain has finally stopped. Harmony is a ball of energy. Her newest thing is to run up to me and then put her front legs up on my legs (like a dog would do to greet you). Its cute but I know I have to stop it cause when she gets bigger she"ll hurt someone
default_smile.png
I trimmed the very long hair on her ears and am planning on giving her....her 1st bath in the next few days

Latest posts

Back